PDA

View Full Version : Wilders not guilty on all charges

Mister D
06-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Well Geert's show trial is over in the Netherlands.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2011/06/wilders_not_guilty_on_all_char.php

MP Geert Wilders has been cleared of charges of inciting hatred and discrimination by a court in Amsterdam.

The court ruled that some of Wilders' statements were insulting, shocking and on the edge of legal acceptibility, but that they were made in the broad context of a political and social debate on the multi-cultural society.

Mister D
06-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Mark steyn over at NR puts it well:

“On the edge of legal acceptability,” eh? As for the latter part — “the broad context of a political and social debate” — the genius “jurists” are effectively conceding what I said when this racket got going — that the Dutch state was attempting to criminalize the political platform of a popular opposition party. That’s the sort of thing free societies should leave to Mubarak & Co, and even then, you can only get away with it for a while before people draw the obvious conclusion.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/270312/geert-wilders-acquitted-mark-steyn

Captain Obvious
06-23-2011, 06:09 PM
It's official - the Dutch get it.

Collectively, we don't.

Mister D
06-23-2011, 06:10 PM

Collectively, we don't.

I think a lot of Americans do get it but we've allowed this official PC culture to grow unchecked. Now it's time to deal with the monster we've created.

Captain Obvious
06-23-2011, 06:18 PM

Collectively, we don't.

I think a lot of Americans do get it but we've allowed this official PC culture to grow unchecked. Now it's time to deal with the monster we've created.

That's why I used the term "collectively".

I remember getting into debates over that koran burning nut. Seems like everyone was focused on the act, not the concept.

Everyone wanted to blame this guy for the riots in Afghanistan but nobody wanted to consider that this was a direct assault against freedom of speech.

If we define our actions based on the aggressive, mindless acts of those who want to dictate our freedoms, then what freedoms do we have?

Mister D
06-23-2011, 06:25 PM

Collectively, we don't.

I remember getting into debates over that koran burning nut. Seems like everyone was focused on the act, not the concept.

Everyone wanted to blame this guy for the riots in Afghanistan but nobody wanted to consider that this was a direct assault against freedom of speech.

If we define our actions based on the aggressive, mindless acts of those who want to dictate our freedoms, then what freedoms do we have?

Good point. It's also ridiculous to blame the actions of rioters on the other side of the globe on the silly BS of some obscure pastor or whatever in Florida.

Captain Obvious
06-23-2011, 06:31 PM

Collectively, we don't.

Good point. It's also ridiculous to blame the actions of rioters on the other side of the globe on the silly BS of some obscure pastor or whatever in Florida.

If burning the American flag on US soil is acceptable, so is burning korans.

And both of those acts are constitutionally protected freedoms of speech. While I may not agree with the message of these acts, I strongly support Americans right to do so.