PDA

View Full Version : Im getting Bored with World Of Warcraft

Common
04-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Ive played Wow since 2005 or 6 not sure. Ive tried other games and the biggest thing I didnt like is the movement. None compare to wow so far.

Ive tried, Aion, Rift, Tera, GuildWars2, rift was ok but shortlived, and GuildWars2 was ok but got Old quick.

I need a new game to try, anyone have any ideas, something with wow like movement would be great.

I dont know if I could FPS games anymore, I played every Quake starting with Doom right on up for years, then I switched to wow.

Captain Obvious
04-02-2015, 12:21 PM
Civilization III

Common
04-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Civilization III

Is that a mmorph fighting type game, I guess I can go and look it up lol

Captain Obvious
04-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Is that a mmorph fighting type game, I guess I can go and look it up lol

A what?

Peter1469
04-02-2015, 12:41 PM
No. It is a strategy game. I like the Civ III Conquests addon.

GrassrootsConservative
04-02-2015, 12:54 PM
Been playing Swarm Simulator for a good month or so now.

That's just a really addictive flash game though.

IMPress Polly
04-03-2015, 05:36 AM
I don't know if this would be totally up your alley or not, Common, but I'd recommend it as an experiment to try out: the 2008 computer game Spore. It's a multi-genre life simulation game that allows you to guide the development of a species from microscopic organism to intelligent and social creature and finally to participant in a futuristic space voyaging culture. Different sections of the game focus on action, real-time strategy, and role-playing. I think, for a strategy fan, Spore might be a great way to experiment with additional genres to see what you like now without having to totally abandon strategy elements.

Common
04-03-2015, 05:57 AM
I don't know if this would be totally up your alley or not, Common, but I'd recommend it as an experiment to try out: the 2008 computer game Spore. It's a multi-genre life simulation game that allows you to guide the development of a species from microscopic organism to intelligent and social creature and finally to participant in a futuristic space voyaging culture. Different sections of the game focus on action, real-time strategy, and role-playing. I think, for a strategy fan, Spore might be a great way to experiment with additional genres to see what you like now without having to totally abandon strategy elements.

Sounds like it takes too much intelligence for me Polly :) Wow isnt really strategy or roll playing. Its a combo of FPS and strategy. Its kind of unique but the game is getting old its been out there over 10 yrs which is incredible and its still popular.
Im going to look into this though, thank you.

Common
04-03-2015, 05:57 AM
No. It is a strategy game. I like the Civ III Conquests addon.

Hows the graphics peter, not cartoonish are they.

Common
04-03-2015, 05:59 AM

Now that I reread your post, I remember the game spore at the time, I never played it. Im going to try it.
Gaming is like anything else, whats for one isnt for the other. Ive spent ALOT of money trying other things.

William
04-03-2015, 07:35 AM
If you like realism, there is an old game called "Empire - Total War" I play a lot, but it's not a FPS - it's pure strategy. There are no cartoonish graphics, here are some screenies from the game.

But you have to be able to manage the economics, and the international diplomacy, as well as direct the battles. If you can't get enough money and scientific development, you can't build a mighty military machine, and you can't build or keep your empire.

It is easiest to play Britain or Spain, but I like playing the less powerful countries - like Prussia or Sweden (but you have to wait a long time to get a powerful navy). :smiley:

IMPress Polly
04-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Common wrote:
Sounds like it takes too much intelligence for me Polly :) Wow isnt really strategy or roll playing. Its a combo of FPS and strategy. Its kind of unique but the game is getting old its been out there over 10 yrs which is incredible and its still popular.
Im going to look into this though, thank you.

Now that I reread your post, I remember the game spore at the time, I never played it. Im going to try it.
Gaming is like anything else, whats for one isnt for the other. Ive spent ALOT of money trying other things.

You totally should! It'll give you the chance to try out other styles of game play without it feeling too foreign!

Now on the other hand, if you're leaning more toward the FPS side of WoW in terms of play style preferences and are looking for a genuinely new experience with that, here's another experiment you might try: the 2013 computer game Gone Home. Gone Home I recommend trying out in part because it represents the direction that I personally think that FPS genre overall should go (but probably won't); the type of thing I think it should evolve into. Now this one I'll caution you will require more broad-mindedness, as there is no gun play or action content to the game, but it does use the play mechanics of a first-person shooter that will be immediately familiar to you. It simply uses them in a new and unique way, to offer the player a radically different kind of game play experience. Gone Home is a story-driven exploration game about the highly convincing backstory of a certain family and the relationship between two teenage girls. It's VERY atmospheric and one's enjoyment of it derives from the thrill of discovery. I know it's not typical FPS flare, which is why I say it may require more broad-mindedness on your part, but if you're looking for something truly new that's been birthed from the FPS genre and brandishing its play mechanics, you might give this game a try. Here's the GameSpot review of Gone Home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7jQ8dveabs

Peter1469
04-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Hows the graphics peter, not cartoonish are they.

More like a geographical map. Civ IV and higher are like HD graphics- I think it detracts from the strategy aspect of the game.

Peter1469
04-03-2015, 03:24 PM
I have several of the Total War games. I like them as well.

If you like realism, there is an old game called "Empire - Total War" I play a lot, but it's not a FPS - it's pure strategy. There are no cartoonish graphics, here are some screenies from the game.

But you have to be able to manage the economics, and the international diplomacy, as well as direct the battles. If you can't get enough money and scientific development, you can't build a mighty military machine, and you can't build or keep your empire.

It is easiest to play Britain or Spain, but I like playing the less powerful countries - like Prussia or Sweden (but you have to wait a long time to get a powerful navy). :smiley:

William
04-04-2015, 12:19 AM
I have several of the Total War games. I like them as well.

Great - not that many of my mates like them, they mainly like role playing and FPS games. But I guess I'm a bit weird, cos I like the games where you have work at it for a long time to be successful. Like I will play one world conquest scenario for over a week - like I'm playing Russia at the moment, and I've only just managed to wipe out the Ottoman Turks, and I have to conquer Poland -Lithuania, Denmark, and Sweden before 1750 to reach my set conquest goals, and it's already 1725.

Money is really tight for Russia, and I have only five warships so I can't afford to lose any naval battles, and cos it's an absolute Monarchy, there are lots of revolutions which have to be put down.

I only have ETW, cos I bought it from the bargain basket at the local computer shop for $25 (it was like $100 full price) with some of last year's birthday money. I don't get much of an allowance, so I have to wait for birthdays and Christmas for new computer games. :sad:

Hal Jordan
04-04-2015, 12:27 AM
I've played Rome: Total War, and I've been a fan of Civ since the beginning. I currently have Civ V.

kilgram
04-11-2015, 02:52 PM
I recently played Spore and is not bad. Starts the game being a cell and ends exploring the Universe :)

Try Mount&Blade xD haha. It is a good medieval simulator, but not strategy.

Mister D
04-11-2015, 04:16 PM

On the first version of Europa Universalis I did very well with most of the states with the exception of Portugal. It was just too small and funds were too often lacking. I managed to secure a colony in Morocco which was historically accurate :cool2: and establish trading posts all over the Americas but it just wasn't enough. The challenge of playing as Portugal was great though.

IMPress Polly
04-11-2015, 04:56 PM
kilgram wrote:
I recently played Spore and is not bad. Starts the game being a cell and ends exploring the Universe :)

Which was your favorite part, kilgram? I liked the space voyaging section the best. :cool2:

kilgram
04-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Which was your favorite part, kilgram? I liked the space voyaging section the best. :cool2:
I enjoyed creating the creatures :)

Common
04-11-2015, 11:49 PM
I bought and liked The Secret World, but the professions were such a pain in the butt and you had to do them to improve your gear as you leveled or you just couldnt level, you would just reach a spot where you couldnt kill anything.

GuildWars2 I liked but it got boring quick.
Rift is a good game but not enough content so you got to endgame to quick and then it got boring.
Tera I bought tried and didnt like, Same with Aion that was a complete waste of cash.

I played all the quake fps for many years from doom right on up through all 4 quakes. My quake clan moved over to WOW and formed a guild and that was in 2005 or 6 and ive been playing wow since then. Hard to believe its been 10 yrs.

McCool
07-11-2015, 11:40 PM
I don't know if this would be totally up your alley or not, Common, but I'd recommend it as an experiment to try out: the 2008 computer game Spore. It's a multi-genre life simulation game that allows you to guide the development of a species from microscopic organism to intelligent and social creature and finally to participant in a futuristic space voyaging culture. Different sections of the game focus on action, real-time strategy, and role-playing. I think, for a strategy fan, Spore might be a great way to experiment with additional genres to see what you like now without having to totally abandon strategy elements. I like it already. If it's about ongoing character development and progression then it's exactly what I'm looking for. (I've kind of gotten worn out with WoW, as well).

Green Arrow
07-12-2015, 02:07 AM
I love WoW, but I also haven't played it quite as long as most of the people I know that are bored with it. Of course, I'm also easily entertained, so there's that :tongue:

I started WoW literally one month before they released the Lich King raid wing of ICC. I've loved it since, and Warlords is definitely my favorite expansion so far. I haven't played it much since the start of this year, but that's only because I have limited finances and time, and as much as I love it, a very old friend just started playing Star Wars: The Old Republic again and I value playing with friends over playing alone on a game I love. Plus, it's fucking Star Wars, man. What's not to love? :tongue:

I'd recommend SWTOR, The Lord of the Rings Online, and Star Trek Online, personally. You don't have to be a sub to play (although it is more fun that way), and they are all good games. LOTRO would be the best of them, then SWTOR, then STO.

Doublejack
07-25-2015, 01:43 PM
I've been a WoW addict for quite some time. Pretty much have been playing some sort of MMO since Ultima Online. I was finally able to break off during the panda expansion. I had quit several times with the idea I could simply play the game casually but each time I would end up back in a raiding guild and trying to gear up multiple characters and specs.

I dabbled with EVE online as a secondary game for years as well. I'm not saying that it's really a casual game but you do have the option as skills train non stop weather your playing or not.

It's definitely not for everyone. The game has pretty hard consequences; full loot pvp and scamming is not only allowed but actually encouraged!

It takes a while to wrap your brain around it but when you get the hang of things it's the most excitement you can find in an mmo imho.

McCool
07-26-2015, 06:15 PM

11083 This game has come a long way since I played it last. May have to give it another looksee...

It is easiest to play Britain or Spain, but I like playing the less powerful countries - like Prussia or Sweden (but you have to wait a long time to get a powerful navy). :smiley: looks like this game has come a long way since I played it last. May have to give it another looksee...

decedent
07-26-2015, 11:43 PM
Perfect World is bigger than WoW and free.

Darmosiel
08-20-2015, 09:24 AM
Ive played Wow since 2005 or 6 not sure. Ive tried other games and the biggest thing I didnt like is the movement. None compare to wow so far.

Ive tried, Aion, Rift, Tera, GuildWars2, rift was ok but shortlived, and GuildWars2 was ok but got Old quick.

I need a new game to try, anyone have any ideas, something with wow like movement would be great.

I dont know if I could FPS games anymore, I played every Quake starting with Doom right on up for years, then I switched to wow.

I'm a big WOW player also and feeling much the same.
After the quests are done to level with each new xpac it's just the same tedious raids and runs for better gear.

But you are also correct... the interaction with other players as part of the game experience combined with the ability to be
entirely in the world is unlike any other game so far.

IMO the Blizzard people know they have a problem...where do they go from here...

Darmosiel
08-20-2015, 09:26 AM
I love WoW, but I also haven't played it quite as long as most of the people I know that are bored with it. Of course, I'm also easily entertained, so there's that :tongue:

I started WoW literally one month before they released the Lich King raid wing of ICC. I've loved it since, and Warlords is definitely my favorite expansion so far. I haven't played it much since the start of this year, but that's only because I have limited finances and time, and as much as I love it, a very old friend just started playing Star Wars: The Old Republic again and I value playing with friends over playing alone on a game I love. Plus, it's $#@!ing Star Wars, man. What's not to love? :tongue:

I'd recommend SWTOR, The Lord of the Rings Online, and Star Trek Online, personally. You don't have to be a sub to play (although it is more fun that way), and they are all good games. LOTRO would be the best of them, then SWTOR, then STO.

Is SWTOR available for the MAC yet? Last time I looked it was only PC.

Green Arrow
08-20-2015, 10:20 AM

I don't know, I've never paid attention to that.

kilgram
08-20-2015, 11:54 AM
PC only.

Enviat des del meu Aquaris E5 usant Tapatalk

kilgram
08-20-2015, 11:55 AM
I don't know, I've never paid attention to that.
Are you playing swtor, yet? In the American servers right? Empire or Republic?

Common
08-20-2015, 12:28 PM
Wow is at its lowest subscriber level since their start, 4.5 million they were over 12million at one time.

This new announced XPAC changes most everything, no more PVP gear and pvp rewards wont be based on gear but on achievement. How will that work ? I dont have a clue, going by what blizz has put out.

I think blizzard is at a Xroad, if this xpac fails, wow will finally fail to the point of just being another game thats out there.

Green Arrow
08-20-2015, 12:43 PM
Are you playing swtor, yet? In the American servers right? Empire or Republic?

I'm on a break from SWTOR, back to WoW.

kilgram
08-20-2015, 12:46 PM
I'm on a break from SWTOR, back to WoW.
I al going to go back next month or that with the new expansion :)