PDA

View Full Version : NATO Dropping Leaflets on Tripoli

Conley
08-23-2011, 04:18 PM
http://blogs.aljazeera.net/liveblog/libya-aug-23-2011-0433

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/BlogsMainImage/leaflets%201.jpg

There are a bunch of different kinds. I wonder how effective they could possibly be?

Conley
08-23-2011, 04:19 PM
If you're willing to get shot at and shoot others, is a leaflet really going to change your mind?

Mister D
08-23-2011, 05:40 PM
They have a long history. Millions of them were dropped in WW2 or fired out of artillery shells.

Conley
08-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Seems like they'd just fly away if air dropped.

Mister D
08-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Seems like they'd just fly away if air dropped.

I'm not sure exactly how the delivery system works. I don't thin they just dump them at 20K feet. I have some Nazi pamphlets that are singed on the edges because they were fired from a artillery piece. I guess the shell has a light charge and bursts in the air over the target area. They might do something similar from the air. Maybe whatever carries them bursts not far above the target area.

Mister D
08-23-2011, 06:29 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_leaflet_propaganda#Leaflet_bomb

Did I say millions of leaflets were dropped in WW2?

Leaflet propaganda has been delivered by airplanes since the Italo-Turkish War 1911-12.[2] Even though leaflet propaganda has been an effective “weapon”, its use has been on a decline. This decline is a result of the advance of satellite, television, and radio technology. Six billion leaflets were dropped in Western Europe alone during World War II. One billion were used during the Korean War while only thirty one million have been used in the war against Iraq. Other conflicts where leaflet propaganda has been used are Vietnam, Afghanistan (both during the Soviet and more recent NATO invasions), and the Gulf War. Leaflets encouraging Iraqi troops not to fight were dropped during the first Gulf War which contributed to eighty thousand Iraqi troops surrendering in 1991.[citation needed]

Looks like there were specially made bombs that contained leaflets.

Conley
08-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Wow. That's a lot of leaflets. I guess you have to factor in how many will get stuck in trees, mud puddles, foxholes, etc. It just seems like a desperate strategy.

They should print them up with naked chicks, coupons for free Big Macs, shit like that proving how awesome the West is. This whole "your country is being torn apart and we're concerned for your safety" rings a little hollow when we're bombing the crap out of them.

Mister D
08-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Wow. That's a lot of leaflets. I guess you have to factor in how many will get stuck in trees, mud puddles, foxholes, etc. It just seems like a desperate strategy.

They should print them up with naked chicks, coupons for free Big Macs, shit like that proving how awesome the West is. This whole "your country is being torn apart and we're concerned for your safety" rings a little hollow when we're bombing the crap out of them.

The NVA used to print them with naked chicks. I have a Vietnam "trail card" as they're called but I'm not sure if it's real. It didn't cost me much so I guess it's no big deal.

I was looking for an example of one with a naked lady but I can't seem to fin one now. Oh well.

Conley
08-23-2011, 06:47 PM

The NVA used to print them with naked chicks. I have a Vietnam "trail card" as they're called but I'm not sure if it's real. It didn't cost me much so I guess it's no big deal.

I was looking for an example of one with a naked lady but I can't seem to fin one now. Oh well.

Wild. I guess they were trying to make the South miss the comforts of home?

Mister D
08-23-2011, 06:49 PM

Wild. I guess they were trying to make the South miss the comforts of home?

The ones I saw were all naked white chicks so I'm sure they were aimed at GIs. They used to be all over Ebay. I guess the guy sold them all. That was a while back anyway.

Conley
08-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Hey now, who doesn't like naked white chicks? I'm sure the SVA enjoyed them as well. >:D I thought our boys already had plenty of their own magazines to satisfy that urge. Well, back to original NATO images they just don't seem that persuasive to me.

Mister D
08-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Hey now, who doesn't like naked white chicks? I'm sure the SVA enjoyed them as well. >:D I thought our boys already had plenty of their own magazines to satisfy that urge. Well, back to original NATO images they just don't seem that persuasive to me.

Such leaflets aren't for dedicated enemy troops. If someone is already feeling demoralized they could help plant seeds in their minds. They could encourage desertion or surrender.