PDA

View Full Version : Cold-weather noses may function differently from those that evolved in hot and h

Mister D
08-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Interesting. As we know, human biodiversity is my thang. ;)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-shape-of-a-nose

Researchers in Germany recently showed that individuals from cold, dry climates, such as Greenland or Siberia, had higher and narrower nasal cavities than those from hot, humid climates, such as Papua New Guinea or Gabon. The German team, led by Marlijn Noback of Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen, took computer-aided measurements of the nasal cavities of 100 skulls representing 10 human groups living in five different climates. They found that the nasal cavities of cold, dry climate populations are relatively high and show a larger and more abrupt change in diameter in the upper part of the cavity than those of hot, humid climate populations. Her research was published online in the American Journal of Physical Anthropology this past June.

Pendragon
08-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Somewhat off topic but to my knowledge no one can distinguish between the races merely by observing a skeleton. Isn't it amazing to think we really are all the same underneath? Truly glorious.

Mister D
08-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Somewhat off topic but to my knowledge no one can distinguish between the races merely by observing a skeleton. Isn't it amazing to think we really are all the same underneath? Truly glorious.

??? :D

Pendragon
08-24-2011, 02:14 PM

Why is this amusing to you?

Mister D
08-24-2011, 02:17 PM

Because it's ridiculous. Forensic anthropologists routinely identify race by studying bones.

Pendragon
08-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Because it's ridiculous. Forensic anthropologists routinely identify race by studying bones.

I don't believe you. They can make educated guesses but they cannot 'identify race'. Race is merely a construct. People have trouble identifying a race when observing skin and flesh.

The idea that it could be done definitively using bones is laughable. It's actually more evidence there really is no such thing as race.

Mister D
08-24-2011, 02:33 PM

I don't believe you. They can make educated guesses but they cannot 'identify race'. Race is merely a construct. People have trouble identifying a race when observing skin and flesh.

The idea that it could be done definitively using bones is laughable. It's actually more evidence there really is no such thing as race.

Then don't believe me. If you don't believe forensic anthropologists can determine your race from your bones then I guess you just don't believe that. :D ::) I suppose you also won't believe that they can detect your race from a strand of your hair.