PDA

View Full Version : Is Wal-Mart Destroying America?

Peter1469
07-05-2012, 05:58 PM
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/is-wal-mart-destroying-america-20-facts-about-wal-mart-that-will-absolutely-shock-you

Are US citizens better off with Wal-Mart offering them cheap foreign made products AND having local businesses fold?

Chris
07-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Seems to me to be what by their choices people value.

Deadwood
07-05-2012, 06:42 PM
No. It is greed that is destroying America. Walmart is just the drug of choice.

Where I live there has been a slow but steady trend toward the "micro economy". Buy local, sell local. In most cases it's not a huge amount of money and my customers eagerly support it.

Shoot the Goose
07-05-2012, 07:34 PM
No. It is greed that is destroying America. Walmart is just the drug of choice.

Where I live there has been a slow but steady trend toward the "micro economy". Buy local, sell local. In most cases it's not a huge amount of money and my customers eagerly support it.

Wish you well, but its not "greed". Greed is a constant. Always there. Its government which has screwed the pooch. Government which twisted our markets so as to buy votes. We became non-competitive because government interfered with simple processes, such as allowing too much greed to fail, as it should. Instead, government subsidized non-competitive models.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsx1X8PV_A

Peter1469
07-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Seems to me to be what by their choices people value.

Right. But what happens when people make choices for short-term self interest only to later understand that had they focused on their long term interests they would have made other choices? And now it is too late. Main street looks like a war zone, and the only structure of note is a huge box store.

It is the same problem with corporate America- they are so focused on the short term that they kill their long term prospects.

Shoot the Goose
07-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Well then. Let's just ban all internet commerce too !

Chris
07-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Right. But what happens when people make choices for short-term self interest only to later understand that had they focused on their long term interests they would have made other choices? And now it is too late. Main street looks like a war zone, and the only structure of note is a huge box store.

It is the same problem with corporate America- they are so focused on the short term that they kill their long term prospects.

The only people I see doing that are those who opt for dependence on government to redistribute other people's wealth, just another form using political means (rent seeking). Those who don't, but seek self-interest by economic means, have too much at stake and while they may make mistakes will learn from it.

The problem with some of corporate American is likewise opting for dependence on government, just another form of using political means (rent seeking). Those who don't, but seek self-interest by economic means, have too much at stake and while they may make mistakes will learn from it.

Sorry for repetition but the problem is repetitive.

It should be noted that the short-term time preference of many corporations is due to government regulations--see for example The misguided practice of earnings guidance (http://www.uic.edu/classes/actg/actg516rtr/Readings/Markets/Earnings-Guidance-1-McKinsey-Full.pdf).

In general I think you have to let individuals make mistakes--if they are so--so they can learn. Individuals making mistakes affects so much far fewer people that government imposing its mistakes on us.

roadmaster
07-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Well I am not a big fan of them except for prescriptions. Why should I pay $27.00 when I can get it for $4.00? Other than that I don't really shop there.

Peter1469
07-05-2012, 08:44 PM
The only people I see doing that are those who opt for dependence on government to redistribute other people's wealth, just another form using political means (rent seeking). Those who don't, but seek self-interest by economic means, have too much at stake and while they may make mistakes will learn from it.

The problem with some of corporate American is likewise opting for dependence on government, just another form of using political means (rent seeking). Those who don't, but seek self-interest by economic means, have too much at stake and while they may make mistakes will learn from it.

Sorry for repetition but the problem is repetitive.

It should be noted that the short-term time preference of many corporations is due to government regulations--see for example The misguided practice of earnings guidance (http://www.uic.edu/classes/actg/actg516rtr/Readings/Markets/Earnings-Guidance-1-McKinsey-Full.pdf).

In general I think you have to let individuals make mistakes--if they are so--so they can learn. Individuals making mistakes affects so much far fewer people that government imposing its mistakes on us.

I agree that you have to let individuals make mistakes. But we should not forget that we have governments. And they aren't going away. And even private governments like home owners associations impose restrictions.

If you are familiar with Ann Abhor - it has a historic old town and they don't allow chain stores. Everything is mom-and-pop. Do you pay more. Yes. But is it a much nicer environment than a bland corporate filled moon-scape? Oh sure. I guess what I am saying quality of life is not the same is having access to the cheapest crap around in big box stores that attract hordes of third world equivalents.

Trinnity
07-05-2012, 08:57 PM
It works both ways. Where I live there are two pizza parlors in the county. They're Egyption guys and the pizza is pretty good, except they have fake sliced sausage. You can't get good crumbled Italian sausage (which is my fave) because they're Muslim. But the thing is the pizza is too expensive because they have had NO competition. They have a special...all the time. Two large with one topping each. Extra toppings are 1.50. The price? $23. Way too much. So we don't get it very often.

Now there's a new place open and their pizza is just as expensive. There's just not enough competition to bring the prices down. I can get dominoes (but it's a 30 minute drive to get to one and they won't deliver this far away) for like what is it now? A medium with 2 toppings (more than one) for $5.99.

Pizza is SO cheap to make.

Goldie Locks
07-05-2012, 10:19 PM
When I lived in a small town in OK, Walmart was the only decent grocery store in town unless I wanted to go all the way to TX. Sometimes you have no choice. Being back home, I have a choice. I am a couponer so I go there sometimes, but try to avoid it as much as possible. I usually only go there when I can get freebies.

Beevee
07-05-2012, 10:25 PM
When I lived in a small town in OK, Walmart was the only decent grocery store in town unless I wanted to go all the way to TX. Sometimes you have no choice. Being back home, I have a choice. I am a couponer so I go there sometimes, but try to avoid it as much as possible. I usually only go there when I can get freebies.

Spoken like a true Republican.

Goldie Locks
07-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Spoken like a true Republican.

I coupon and If I have a coupon worth the price of the item...I get it for free. I don't cheat and steal like a democrat.

Beevee
07-05-2012, 11:13 PM
I coupon and If I have a coupon worth the price of the item...I get it for free. I don't cheat and steal like a democrat.

Is that one democrat or all democrats?

Archer0915
07-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Is that one democrat or all democrats?

All liberal democrats.

Goldie Locks
07-05-2012, 11:20 PM
all liberal democrats.

lol!!!!

Archer0915
07-05-2012, 11:25 PM
lol!!!!

Hey there are still conservative dems out there and the generally vote dem local and state and rep federal.

Goldie Locks
07-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Hey there are still conservative dems out there and the generally vote dem local and state and rep federal.

If you say so.

Archer0915
07-05-2012, 11:30 PM
To answer the OP. No but the cheapness of the people not willing to support fellow americans is the issue. That is fine though because you buy American and support your brother with a job or you support him with welfare.

Archer0915
07-05-2012, 11:32 PM
If you say so.

It is true as a matter of fact we have some NC politicians (dem) that will probably be out of a job due to the DNC and their lack of support for Obama.

Goldie Locks
07-05-2012, 11:47 PM
I support any lack of support for Ubama...lol

MMC
07-06-2012, 12:00 AM
My Aunt lives in Tenn.....She use to Run the Kitchen at Holdiay Inn. Then Went and got a Job at a Wal-Mart down by her where she was handling their Kitchen as they had like a restaurant in the place. Anyhow my Aunt got sick. Had to have time off work. Wal-mart screwed her over big time. she will never work for them ever again.

Last I heard Wal-mart here in the US is going to break down their big-super stores here. While Building them in China.

Isn't there a bunch of Cheap azz stuff we can make for less than a dollar and send those to China like they do us here. You know Cheap breakable stuff that isn't worth anything.

My concern thru Wal-mart is the generic Drugs they get. As they discovered the generics manufactured by China are not exactly safe. Kinda like their version of Tylenol.

Goldie Locks
07-06-2012, 12:05 AM
My Aunt lives in Tenn.....She use to Run the Kitchen at Holdiay Inn. Then Went and got a Job at a Wal-Mart down by her where she was handling their Kitchen as they had like a restaurant in the place. Anyhow my Aunt got sick. Had to have time off work. Wal-mart screwed her over big time. she will never work for them ever again.

Last I heard Wal-mart here in the US is going to break down their big-super stores here. While Building them in China.

Isn't there a bunch of Cheap azz stuff we can make for less than a dollar and send those to China like they do us here. You know Cheap breakable stuff that isn't worth anything.

My concern thru Wal-mart is the generic Drugs they get. As they discovered the generics manufactured by China are not exactly safe. Kinda like their version of Tylenol.

Honestly, I try to buy American as much as possible. The only time I go go wally world is for freebies. I go on the internet and buy from sites that have "made in America". I also look in the stores for "made in America'. You would be surprised that a lot of things made in America are cheaper than made in Chink land.

MMC
07-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Honestly, I try to buy American as much as possible. The only time I go go wally world is for freebies. I go on the internet and buy from sites that have "made in America". I also look in the stores for "made in America'. You would be surprised that a lot of things made in America are cheaper than made in Chink land.

We do the same.....it's like in our town. We have a Donut Shop. Mister Donut. Two Years ago they brought in a Dunkin Donuts. But most of the town Supports the Donut Shop. It has one of those Old Counters with the Stools to have coffee and sit and read a newspaper. No drive up window. Course down by us.....we never visit Wally World. We shop the Ultimate in Cheap Fashion......Tar-Chez(Target) Aka Marshall Fields.

I was ticked Marshal Fields Sold out and they let Macey's in Chicago. Same deal with Chase Banks. Iwas like keep all that East Coast BS where it belongs. back out East.

Chris
07-06-2012, 08:38 AM
I agree that you have to let individuals make mistakes. But we should not forget that we have governments. And they aren't going away. And even private governments like home owners associations impose restrictions.

If you are familiar with Ann Abhor - it has a historic old town and they don't allow chain stores. Everything is mom-and-pop. Do you pay more. Yes. But is it a much nicer environment than a bland corporate filled moon-scape? Oh sure. I guess what I am saying quality of life is not the same is having access to the cheapest crap around in big box stores that attract hordes of third world equivalents.

Why start arguing absolutes like no government? It's a straw man. I didn't argue no government. I argued leave people free to make their own choices in the market. Government's place should be to protect that freedom, not limit it.

And even private governments like home owners associations impose restrictions.

Generally, people choose to live under such restrictions. I did. It was part of the criteria I used to decide where to buy a house. Moreover, I can attend HOA meetings, raise issues, argue with managers, vote for board members, in fact become one. And if it becomes onerous move.

That's another example of local government where people have a choice, iow, they don't like it, they are free to shop elsewhere. Since you have certain preferences, you should shop there. It's the kind of federalism Jefferson advocated, very local, at the township level.

Archer0915
07-06-2012, 08:42 AM
That's another example of local government where people have a choice, iow, they don't like it, they are free to shop elsewhere. Since you have certain preferences, you should shop there. It's the kind of federalism Jefferson advocated, very local, at the township level.

Yeah it is the peoples choice until the officials get bought like they did where I live. Chicken plant in this case.

Chris
07-06-2012, 08:44 AM
It works both ways. Where I live there are two pizza parlors in the county. They're Egyption guys and the pizza is pretty good, except they have fake sliced sausage. You can't get good crumbled Italian sausage (which is my fave) because they're Muslim. But the thing is the pizza is too expensive because they have had NO competition. They have a special...all the time. Two large with one topping each. Extra toppings are 1.50. The price? $23. Way too much. So we don't get it very often.

Now there's a new place open and their pizza is just as expensive. There's just not enough competition to bring the prices down. I can get dominoes (but it's a 30 minute drive to get to one and they won't deliver this far away) for like what is it now? A medium with 2 toppings (more than one) for $5.99.

Pizza is SO cheap to make.

Ah, but isn't that the competition, to make it yourself!

Sometimes I buy the in-store made good enough pizza at Walmart. :tongue:

Chris
07-06-2012, 08:47 AM
All liberal democrats.

Isn't that a pleonasm?

Chris
07-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Yeah it is the peoples choice until the officials get bought like they did where I live. Chicken plant in this case.

One reason why I'm so anti-government, corrupt officials. But why I'm OK with local government because when it gets corrupt we can vote with our feet.

Archer0915
07-06-2012, 08:54 AM
One reason why I'm so anti-government, corrupt officials. But why I'm OK with local government because when it gets corrupt we can vote with our feet.

Yeah but this was bad. Hell one commissioner even said the public had no business knowing what deals had to be made. Funny how he stood to gain financially from this to boot. Sometimes the ball that gets put in motion has a life of its own when it starts rolling.

Chris
07-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Yeah but this was bad. Hell one commissioner even said the public had no business knowing what deals had to be made. Funny how he stood to gain financially from this to boot. Sometimes the ball that gets put in motion has a life of its own when it starts rolling.

You probably have a better chance of running him out of office than your governor or the President.

Archer0915
07-06-2012, 10:56 AM
You probably have a better change of running him out of office than your governor or the President.

Well the issue is that he is a white (R) in a heavily white county full of (R). Give me a good democrat over a bad republican any day. Sad thing is most dems are going liberal so they are not worth the air they breathe.

michaelr
07-06-2012, 12:32 PM
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/is-wal-mart-destroying-america-20-facts-about-wal-mart-that-will-absolutely-shock-you

Are US citizens better off with Wal-Mart offering them cheap foreign made products AND having local businesses fold?

Yes they are, but you got to admit, if it weren't for the door greeters the TSA would have to find a new pool of pedophiles to hire from. ....so we have that going for us.

Peter1469
07-06-2012, 01:51 PM

When I lived in a small town in OK, Walmart was the only decent grocery store in town

What were the choices prior to Wal-Mart?

Peter1469
07-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Yes they are, but you got to admit, if it weren't for the door greeters the TSA would have to find a new pool of pedophiles to hire from. ....so we have that going for us.

:grin: