PDA

View Full Version : Why You Should Never Eat Tilapia

Common
04-12-2015, 07:30 AM
Tilapia has ended up being one of the most common fish in America today. It’s affordable, not “shady” sampling, boneless and also skinless, and it hard to mess up by overcooking it, which is a problem with several other fish selections.

Nonetheless, the tilapia we’re consuming is entirely a farmed fish, meaning you could not find wild tilapia in any supermarket or on any restaurant menu. And the farming is often done on an industrial scale, with countless fish being gathered on a daily basis. Their feed is not natural – in the wild, tilapia would certainly consume algae and also lake plants, however the farms fatten up the fish on GMO corn as well as soy pellets. The quantity of healthy fish oils in these animals is nearly non – existent, negating the primary reason why fish is so helpful for us.

Why Farm – Raised Tilapia Is So Bad For You

1. Recent Studies have found that farm – raised tilapia might cause inflammation. Farm – raised tilapia has always been a popular source for fish, not only considering that it is commonly available in the US, however it is additionally quite cost – effective. Nevertheless, prior to you stockpile on Tilapia, you may would like to know regarding its connection to inflammation.

Current researches have actually stated that consuming Tilapia may worsen the inflammation that can cause heart disease, arthritis, bronchial asthma and a world of various other serious illnesses. Folks who resort to consuming more fish as a way to get their dose of omega – 3 – fatty – acids and also lessen their risk of cardiovascular disease might intend to hold back on the tilapia. As a matter of fact, researchers have actually discovered that the inflamed possibility of tilapia is much higher than that of burger or pork bacon!

2. Farmed fish could have at least 10 times the amount of cancer causing organic pollutants compared with the wild variety – This could probably be credited to the feeds that are used on farm raised fish. If you were familiar with the food of the farm raised fish you would be alarmed. Evidently, poultry feces is just one of the main ingredients that enter farm – raised fish feed. Not only that, the transfer of pig as well as duck waste to fish farms is also a very common technique.

3. Farm – bred fish have been discovered to have high focus of antibiotics and chemicals. Where do farm – bred fish acquire their anti – biotics? The many disorders of fish farms induce the fish to be more at risk to disease. To keep them alive, farm owners give antibiotics to the fish to stave off disease. Farm – bred fish are likewise treated with chemicals to contend with sea lice. The pesticides made use of to treat these fish are so fatal that they have been caused an untamed salmon to die when accidentally exposed to them. These pesticides are additionally released in the sea where they get into the bodies and systems of various other marine life.

4. Farm – bred fish also have lower levels of healthy nutrients – Many of us eat fish, wanting to gain the omega – 3 fatty acid advantages that feature it. However, did you know that the omega – 3 – acids that are discovered in farm – raised fish are less useful to our physical bodies compared to untamed bred fish? Farm – raised fish likewise has a lower healthy protein content. Not only that, since farm – raised fish are kept in cages, they have the tendency to be fattier, and could have a higher concentration of omega – 6 acids. The trouble with obtaining excessive omega – 6 acids is that they may cause irritation to the physical body as a result of discrepancy.

5. Dioxin levels are 11 times higher in farm – bred fish as compared to untamed fish. Dioxin is really a quite dangerous chemical that can contribute to cancer cells and also various other complications. The problem with dioxin is that as soon as it enters our system, it can take a long time until it is discharged. The half life of dioxin is about 7 to 11 years.

http://www.healthyfoodteam.com/why-you-should-never-eat-tilapia/

Peter1469
04-12-2015, 07:32 AM
All industrial farming creates harmful food.

Sustainable farming is the answer.

Common
04-12-2015, 07:37 AM
All industrial farming creates harmful food.

Sustainable farming is the answer.

But thats all they want to sell you anymore because its MORE PROFIT. You cant even buy wild tilapia.

I long ago stopped buying or eating tilapia, when I learned it was farmed raised in China. They fed and raised the tilapia by hanging cages full of chickens over the tilapia breeding ponds. The chickents shit into the water and thats what the tilapia ate and was raised on.

Peter1469
04-12-2015, 07:44 AM
But thats all they want to sell you anymore because its MORE PROFIT. You cant even buy wild tilapia.

I long ago stopped buying or eating tilapia, when I learned it was farmed raised in China. They fed and raised the tilapia by hanging cages full of chickens over the tilapia breeding ponds. The chickents shit into the water and thats what the tilapia ate and was raised on.

Right. That is why I get my meat from my local farmers market.

Captain Obvious
04-12-2015, 07:50 AM
I never ate it, it's cheap carp basically.

Common
04-12-2015, 07:56 AM
I never ate it, it's cheap carp basically.

Carp, bottom feeder eats other fish' shit

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 07:58 AM
I believe in purchasing local products. Better quality, good for the local fishermen.

Wild-caught seafood - source matters

Have you ever thought about where your seafood comes from? It could have been caught in a wild fishery or harvested from an aquaculture operation. It might have come from the United States or maybe it was imported. Why does this matter? It's important to know the source of your seafood because not all of them measure up the same.
Alabama Wild Caught seafood is caught under regulations that protect the health of the folks that eat it as well as the health of the marine environment and the animals that live in it,

the imports...well who knows.

By buying seafood from the US you're helping to conserve our ocean resources and support the economies and communities that ensure our seafood supply is safe, healthy and sustainable.

http://www.eatalabamawildseafood.com/our-waters.html

Safety
04-12-2015, 07:59 AM
I seriously never heard of tilapia until about 2004 or 2005, then all of a sudden it's everywhere. I don't trust anything I can't pronounce.

Common
04-12-2015, 08:02 AM
I believe in purchasing local products. Better quality, good for the local fishermen.

Wild-caught seafood - source matters

Have you ever thought about where your seafood comes from? It could have been caught in a wild fishery or harvested from an aquaculture operation. It might have come from the United States or maybe it was imported. Why does this matter? It's important to know the source of your seafood because not all of them measure up the same.
Alabama Wild Caught seafood is caught under regulations that protect the health of the folks that eat it as well as the health of the marine environment and the animals that live in it,

the imports...well who knows.

By buying seafood from the US you're helping to conserve our ocean resources and support the economies and communities that ensure our seafood supply is safe, healthy and sustainable.

http://www.eatalabamawildseafood.com/our-waters.html

So did I, then I read an article about gulf seafood being tested and being toxic, the BP oil spill has destroyed the quality of the Gulf seafood. Thats where most of the souths at least the gulf bordering states seafood comes from.

They tested grouper, dungeoness crab and shrimp. The larger the individual grouper the worse it was. What a damn shame ?

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 08:03 AM
The first time I heard of tilapia was in the 70's. We were just starting to learn about organic gardening methods and what is called prepping now. Tilapia was suggested as a fish that could be grown in an artificial pool in a basement in the magazine Organic Gardening. They grow very fast and are not picky about what they eat. The idea of eating fish out of a plastic pool in a basement did not appeal to me.

Peter1469
04-12-2015, 08:09 AM
The first time I heard of tilapia was in the 70's. We were just starting to learn about organic gardening methods and what is called prepping now. Tilapia was suggested as a fish that could be grown in an artificial pool in a basement in the magazine Organic Gardening. They grow very fast and are not picky about what they eat. The idea of eating fish out of a plastic pool in a basement did not appeal to me.

If the SHTF the basement fish is better than nothing. :smiley:

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 08:16 AM
If SHTF, I'll get my fish out of the bayou in my back yard....:grin:

Common
04-12-2015, 08:18 AM

Watch them gators

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 08:27 AM
The seafood in the Gulf has been tested by many sources....from the FDA to private industries. I looked for a test that has no reason to lie and found this from 2011. This group is more of an environmental watch organization so they tend to have harsher criteria about pollutants.
More than a year after last year’s Deepwater Horizon oil spill, a nagging question lingers: Is it safe to eat seafood from the Gulf of Mexico?
At the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s annual Cooking for Solutions Sustainable Seafood Institute (http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/vi/vi_events/cooking/) last week, marine scientists, experts from environmental groups, and members of the fishing community—who rarely agree on anything—answered that question with a unanimous, “yes.”
“There is still a lot of science to be done, but it seems like we dodged a bullet. We got lucky,” said Tim Fitzgerald of the Environmental Defense Fund (http://www.edf.org/home.cfm) (EDF). Fitzgerald, who created EDF’s SeafoodSafe program to monitor chemical contamination in fish, has spent much of the last year focusing on the Gulf.
“I don’t think we will see major problems with contaminants in Gulf Seafood,” he said. “But we’re not taking anything for granted. We’re continuing to work with the fishing industry to look for the possibility of contamination from dispersants just to make sure.”
http://politicsoftheplate.com/?p=889

Peter1469
04-12-2015, 08:29 AM

My "back yard" is another highrise.

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 08:31 AM
My "back yard" is another highrise.

That is a severe health hazard. Gulf Coast people have to get mud between their toes on a regular basis or their health fails! :wink:

Common
04-12-2015, 08:42 AM
The seafood in the Gulf has been tested by many sources....from the FDA to private industries. I looked for a test that has no reason to lie and found this from 2011. This group is more of an environmental watch organization so they tend to have harsher criteria about pollutants.
More than a year after last year’s Deepwater Horizon oil spill, a nagging question lingers: Is it safe to eat seafood from the Gulf of Mexico?
At the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s annual Cooking for Solutions Sustainable Seafood Institute (http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/vi/vi_events/cooking/) last week, marine scientists, experts from environmental groups, and members of the fishing community—who rarely agree on anything—answered that question with a unanimous, “yes.”
“There is still a lot of science to be done, but it seems like we dodged a bullet. We got lucky,” said Tim Fitzgerald of the Environmental Defense Fund (http://www.edf.org/home.cfm) (EDF). Fitzgerald, who created EDF’s SeafoodSafe program to monitor chemical contamination in fish, has spent much of the last year focusing on the Gulf.
“I don’t think we will see major problems with contaminants in Gulf Seafood,” he said. “But we’re not taking anything for granted. We’re continuing to work with the fishing industry to look for the possibility of contamination from dispersants just to make sure.”
http://politicsoftheplate.com/?p=889

Well the one I read was from the fla recovery center, dont remember the exact name, but they are the ones you call to save mammals on the beach and do fish quality testing and water testing along the fla gulf. Their test was dated Oct 2014. Didnt paint the same picture thats yours did but who knows whats up or down. The bottom line is we have to eat something

Mister D
04-12-2015, 09:38 AM
One reason I don't buy farmed fish is that there is usually no information available on exactly where the fish came from. I only eat fish (usually shell fish) every couple of weeks but always "wild caught".

I did turn down some some wild caught scallops one time because they were from China. I said nah...

Polecat
04-12-2015, 10:56 AM
We have always enjoyed fish that are "bottom feeders". Tilapia are bottom feeders like catfish, sole, halibut - etc. I am not a big eater of fish so I can't get excited about the alarmist nature of the research. Wild caught tilapia may not be getting chicken poop for dinner but they are still feeding off the bottom and soaking up what ever nasty compounds are present.