PDA

View Full Version : Latest Gallup Poll has Perry Crushing Romney

Conley
08-24-2011, 07:17 PM
PRINCETON, NJ -- Shortly after announcing his official candidacy, Texas Gov. Rick Perry has emerged as rank-and-file Republicans' current favorite for their party's 2012 presidential nomination. Twenty-nine percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents nationwide say they are most likely to support Perry, with Mitt Romney next, at 17%.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/149180/Perry-Zooms-Front-Pack-2012-GOP-Nomination.aspx

Looks like confirmation of what we all expected. Ron Paul is still hanging around too.

Mister D
08-24-2011, 07:21 PM
PRINCETON, NJ -- Shortly after announcing his official candidacy, Texas Gov. Rick Perry has emerged as rank-and-file Republicans' current favorite for their party's 2012 presidential nomination. Twenty-nine percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents nationwide say they are most likely to support Perry, with Mitt Romney next, at 17%.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/149180/Perry-Zooms-Front-Pack-2012-GOP-Nomination.aspx

Looks like confirmation of what we all expected. Ron Paul is still hanging around too.

Romney remains the party candidate though, no?

Conley
08-24-2011, 07:23 PM

In what way?

I thought GOP leadership was firmly behind Perry?

Mister D
08-24-2011, 07:25 PM

In what way?

I thought GOP leadership was firmly behind Perry?

Oh? Maybe you're right. I thought everyone was saying that Romney was the guy who could win.

Mister D
08-24-2011, 07:25 PM
But that was before perry stepped in.

Pendragon
08-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Perry is the front runner for the Republican nomination and polls that I have seen show him beating Obama.

Romney and Obama are in a dead heat however.

Of course, these numbers will all change over time.

Pendragon
08-24-2011, 07:26 PM

Perry has been in the race for quite some time now.

Mister D
08-24-2011, 07:29 PM

A couple weeks, maybe?

Mister D
08-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Perry is the front runner for the Republican nomination and polls that I have seen show him beating Obama.

Certainly. This is all just to give professional pollsters and politicos something to do. It means nothing right now

Pendragon
08-24-2011, 07:32 PM

A couple weeks, maybe?

He's been declared for about that long, but it was obvious for quite a while before then that he would running.

Pendragon
08-24-2011, 07:33 PM

Certainly. This is all just to give professional pollsters and politicos something to do. It means nothing right now

On the contrary it means a great deal. It determines who will stay in the race, who will leave, and where the money will flow. All of that is quite significant.

Mister D
08-24-2011, 07:38 PM

On the contrary it means a great deal. It determines who will stay in the race, who will leave, and where the money will flow. All of that is quite significant.

I agree on the latter point. It will determine where the money will go to some extent but dark horse candidates sometimes stay in for the long haul. For example, Mike Huckabee stayed in the 2008 primary long after it was clear his candidacy was not going anywhere. At this stage in the primary season it's just too early to make serious calls.

Pendragon
08-24-2011, 07:40 PM
How would you know or Huckabee himself for that matter know his campaign was futile without the benefit of polling?

Do you see the fallacy in your argument?

Mister D
08-24-2011, 07:46 PM
How would you know or Huckabee himself for that matter know his campaign was futile without the benefit of polling?

Do you see the fallacy in your argument?

Apparently, whatever futility the polls seemed to indicate in the early phases of the 2008 GOP Primary didn't discourage Huckabee all that much. He stayed in even after he was asked to drop out. Better still, he waited until it was no longer mathematically possible to win before he dropped out. :D

Pendragon
08-24-2011, 07:49 PM
An exception doesn't disprove the rule.

You can not truly believe that polling makes no difference in a campaign.

Conley
08-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Sure polling makes a difference. Campaigns have their own pollsters as well I believe.

Conley
08-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Once the primaries get underway and votes for the national convention can be tallied then those numbers fade in importance however. Huckabee could be polling wonderfully in Arkansas but if he's already lost a bunch of primaries it doesn't matter.

Mister D
08-24-2011, 08:05 PM
An exception doesn't disprove the rule.

You can not truly believe that polling makes no difference in a campaign.

I don't. I just think it's too early for it to mean much.

Mister D
08-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Once the primaries get underway and votes for the national convention can be tallied then those numbers fade in importance however. Huckabee could be polling wonderfully in Arkansas but if he's already lost a bunch of primaries it doesn't matter.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever been polled in my life. I've heard, however, that the chances of being polled are actually quite low.

Conley
08-24-2011, 08:15 PM
The last poll I posted (Rasmussen?) only surveyed 1,000 people nationwide.

They have the algorithms down to a science, so they can extrapolate the data quite reliably.

wingrider
08-24-2011, 11:52 PM
after reading an op ed by EJ Dionne the other day and he was extolling all the virtues of Romney I have decided not to even endorse Romney for anything.. When A far left liberal like Dionne finds favor with a republican Candidate i smell something fish going on and it ain't the carp

Conley
08-24-2011, 11:54 PM
after reading an op ed by EJ Dionne the other day and he was extolling all the virtues of Romney I have decided not to even endorse Romney for anything.. When A far left liberal like Dionne finds favor with a republican Candidate i smell something fish going on and it ain't the carp

Yep, truth is that Perry scares the crap (or should I say carp? ;D) out of the liberals. They'd much rather have Romney with his baggage and Mass roots.

wingrider
08-24-2011, 11:59 PM

Yep, truth is that Perry scares the crap (or should I say carp? ;D) out of the liberals. They'd much rather have Romney with his baggage and Mass roots.

quoted for truth brother