PDA

View Full Version : Parrots Cry Help And fire

Matty
04-20-2015, 04:12 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fire-crews-confused-shouts-help-fire-coming-empty-burning-house-n344491

they needed a little oxygen but they were saved.

:)

Peter1469
04-20-2015, 04:15 PM
They were asking for help. Too funny.

Matty
04-20-2015, 04:20 PM
Makes me wonder where they picked that up. Fire is not something heard every day round the house.

Peter1469
04-20-2015, 04:28 PM
Yes, strange.

Common Sense
04-20-2015, 04:29 PM
Birds are fairly intelligent.

I suspect a few posters on here might actually be seagulls.

Matty
04-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Birds are fairly intelligent.

I suspect a few posters on here might actually be seagulls.

Truly un necessary

Common Sense
04-20-2015, 04:54 PM
Truly un necessary

Unnecessary is one word.

Lighten up...twas a joke.

Mr. Right
04-20-2015, 07:04 PM
My kockatiel (spelled it that way to avoid the profanity nazi), can sing/whistle 4 songs. Theme from Andy Griffith, Tiptoe thru the Tulips, Star Wars theme, and Indiana Jones. He wolf whistles 2 different ways, and he loves being close to anyone that will hold him. Oz. for oz. , the's smarter that many humans.

waltky
04-04-2016, 02:11 AM
Polly wanna cracker?...

Parrots in urban US might outnumber native Mexico’s
Mon, Apr 04, 2016 - US researchers are launching studies on Mexico’s red-crowned parrot — a species that has been adapting so well to living in cities in California and Texas after escaping from the pet trade that the population might rival that in its native country.

The research comes amid debate over whether some of the birds flew across the border into Texas and should be listed under the Endangered Species Act. Parrots in US urban areas are just starting to draw attention from scientists because of their intelligence, resourcefulness and ability to adapt. There is also a growing realization that the city dwellers might offer a population that could help save certain species from extinction. Parrots are thriving in cities from Los Angeles to Brownsville, Texas, while in the tropics and subtropics, a third of all parrot species are at risk of going extinct because of habitat loss and the pet trade.

Most are believed to have escaped from importers or smugglers over the past half century, when tens of thousands of parrots were brought into the US from Latin America. Scientists only now are starting to study them. After doing most of his research in places like Peru, Donald Brightsmith is concentrating on the squawking birds nesting in Washingtonian palms lining avenues and roosting in the oak trees in front lawns in South Texas. “Parrots in urban settings are of great interest to me,” the Texas A&M University biologist said. “I see these as kind of future insurance policies.”

http://www.taipeitimes.com/images/2016/04/04/P07-160404-324.jpg
Red-crowned parrots interact at SoCal Parrot rescue center in Jamul, California

Brightsmith has received a two-year grant from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to get an official count on the state’s red-crowned parrot population and determine whether threats against them are increasing. The loud, raucous birds have been shot at by angry homeowners. In San Diego, a US$5,000 reward is being offered for information on the killings of about a half-dozen parrots found shot this year. The research could help drive ways to maintain the population that prefers the cities and suburbs. “It’s more of an urban planning, landscape, ecology issue and not so much how do we protect an area of pristine nature,” he said.

Brightsmith would like to team up with scientists in California. Researchers want to study the gene pool to determine whether there are still genetically pure red-crowned parrots that could replenish the flocks in their native habitat. “We could have a free backup stock in the US,” Brightsmith said.

In Mexico, biologists are working on getting an updated count. The last study in 1994 estimated the population at 3,000 to 6,500 birds, declining from more than 100,000 in the 1950s because of deforestation and raids on the nesting young to feed the pet trade. “We suspect the population in South Texas could rival the number found in the wild in Mexico,” said Karl Berg, a biologist at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley who received a grant to study the red-crowned parrot in Brownsville. Biologists estimate the population at about 1,000 birds in Texas and more than 2,500 in California, where they are the most common of more than a dozen parrot species.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2016/04/04/2003643183