PDA

View Full Version : FLORIDA COUPLE Sentenced To Prison in Deadly Python Case.....

MMC
08-25-2011, 07:51 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/florida-couple-sentenced-prison-deadly-python-case-221524969.html

ORLANDO, Fla (Reuters) - A young Florida mother and her boyfriend were sentenced on Wednesday to 12 years each in prison on manslaughter charges stemming from the death of the woman's 2-year-old daughter, who was strangled by their pet python in her crib.

Assistant State Attorney Conrad Juergensmeyer said the couple also was ordered to serve five years of probation upon release from prison.

Darnell found the couple's 8-1/2-foot-long albino Burmese python named Gypsy wrapped around Shaianna's head and body after it escaped from an unsecured aquarium during the night, according to the Sumter County Sheriff's Office.....snip~

Not only did it strangle the baby. But it bit her too. Also there were two other children sleeping in the same room. So they lock the parents up and take the other kids, I guess. Never cared for snakes as a pet. I don't fear them. But IMO they are just not the type of creature one holds. Nor let around kids. It was the responsibility of the parent or parents to keep the children safe. Don't know how Florida law is. But if it is day for day. They will not get to see the other children for at least 6 yrs. Thoughts? >:(

Mister D
08-25-2011, 09:03 AM
8.5 feet? ::) ??? I would never keep an animal that could possibly take me out.

Conley
08-25-2011, 09:41 AM
I agree that's pretty wild, and completely irresponsible of the kids. I think we all agree a nine foot python around a 2 year old is a bad idea.

How do you feel about Pit Bulls and kids? Seems we always have at least once a year a family dog loses it and a kid gets hurt around here. There are so many Pits here from these wanna be gang bangers with the hiked up trucks and the chains around their neck. It's the kids that end up paying the price for the owner's negligence.

Mister D
08-25-2011, 09:46 AM
I agree that's pretty wild, and completely irresponsible of the kids. I think we all agree a nine foot python around a 2 year old is a bad idea.

How do you feel about Pit Bulls and kids? Seems we always have at least once a year a family dog loses it and a kid gets hurt around here. There are so many Pits here from these wanna be gang bangers with the hiked up trucks and the chains around their neck. It's the kids that end up paying the price for the owner's negligence.

A 9 foot python around me is a bad idea. It's just a pretty crazy idea for a pet.

I don't know for sure but I often hear that Pit Bulls are as good as their owners. I also heard they are mentally deficient.

Conley
08-25-2011, 09:52 AM

A 9 foot python around me is a bad idea. It's just a pretty crazy idea for a pet.

I don't know for sure but I often hear that Pit Bulls are as good as their owners. I also heard they are mentally deficient.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 9 foot python but I am not sure about sleeping with one in the house. Furthermore I would lock that cage for certain, he could get out and kill the neighbor's pet or whatever.

People say Pit Bulls are as good as their owners (which I'm not sure if I believe), but if so many of their owners are freaking morons then I don't think it's a good idea to have them around. It's not really the kind of thing that can be controlled though. When they inevitably attack then the owners do face legal consequences. An older woman around here went out to pick up her paper in her own yard and got attacked so badly she lost her leg and a lot more. I think she might still be hospitalized. It was gruesome.

Mister D
08-25-2011, 09:57 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing a 9 foot python but I am not sure about sleeping with one in the house. Furthermore I would lock that cage for certain, he could get out and kill the neighbor's pet or whatever.

People say Pit Bulls are as good as their owners (which I'm not sure if I believe), but if so many of their owners are freaking morons then I don't think it's a good idea to have them around. It's not really the kind of thing that can be controlled though. When they inevitably attack then the owners do face legal consequences. An older woman around here went out to pick up her paper in her own yard and got attacked so badly she lost her leg and a lot more. I think she might still be hospitalized. It was gruesome.

That's what I mean. I would pick it up and woulnd't mind it around but not in my house. You never know what might happen. Who needs that BS?

I hear you. Safety, public or otherwise, comes first. Lost her leg!? Sheesh. :o

Conley
08-25-2011, 10:14 AM
A 75-year-old woman mauled by her neighbor’s two pit bulls Saturday morning had to have one leg amputated and might lose an arm, her husband and authorities said.

Mendoza said doctors at Scripps Mercy Hospital had to amputate his wife’s leg and may have to amputate her left arm, which was mangled from her hand to her elbow.

“She’s not doing too good,” Mendoza said Saturday night. “She’s in very critical condition.”

The dogs, which belonged to her neighbor, entered the Mendoza yard through a hole in the fence, San Diego police Officer Frank Cali said.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jun/18/woman-mauled-pit-bull-pair/

Yeah, it was awful.

Mister D
08-25-2011, 10:17 AM
A 75-year-old woman mauled by her neighbor’s two pit bulls Saturday morning had to have one leg amputated and might lose an arm, her husband and authorities said.

Mendoza said doctors at Scripps Mercy Hospital had to amputate his wife’s leg and may have to amputate her left arm, which was mangled from her hand to her elbow.

“She’s not doing too good,” Mendoza said Saturday night. “She’s in very critical condition.”

The dogs, which belonged to her neighbor, entered the Mendoza yard through a hole in the fence, San Diego police Officer Frank Cali said.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jun/18/woman-mauled-pit-bull-pair/

Yeah, it was awful.

Oh, multiple dogs. That makes more sense. a grown can sort of fight a dog off although it would be a terrifying experience. They must have been gnawing her for a while for this to require somethign so severe (amputations).

Conley
08-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Yep a couple of dogs plus a frail old lady. She was just going to get her paper, it wasn't as if she was threatening or even on the dogs' turf...so why do they attack like that?

Mister D
08-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Yep a couple of dogs plus a frail old lady. She was just going to get her paper, it wasn't as if she was threatening or even on the dogs' turf...so why do they attack like that?

What kind of neighborhood was this? Urban? I can't imagine my neighbors having two or more pit bulls. We would not get along well if that was the case. With these stories I'd probably keep a weapon within reach when I'm working out back.

Anyway, that sucks. What can you even say?

Conley
08-25-2011, 10:57 AM

What kind of neighborhood was this? Urban? I can't imagine my neighbors having two or more pit bulls. We would not get along well if that was the case. With these stories I'd probably keep a weapon within reach when I'm working out back.

It happens out in the burbs here. Yes, another good reason for a weapon. Wish it weren't the case but you have to face reality.

Mister D
08-25-2011, 11:00 AM

It happens out in the burbs here. Yes, another good reason for a weapon. Wish it weren't the case but you have to face reality.

What are people thinking? I can kind of understsnd if you live in a rough area. The potentia liability alone would be too much risk for me. Nevermind living with a sserious attack.

Conley
08-25-2011, 11:16 AM
That's a good point about liability. I'm not sure what has happened to the owners in these cases (like I said, there have been a few). I am sure they are fined and probably recipients of civil suits, but as far as getting incarcerated I doubt it happens.

Mister D
08-25-2011, 11:18 AM
That's a good point about liability. I'm not sure what has happened to the owners in these cases (like I said, there have been a few). I am sure they are fined and probably recipients of civil suits, but as far as getting incarcerated I doubt it happens.

Not sure I could agree with a prison term but there is an argument I suppose for depraved indifference. Then again, the animals shouldn't be legal to own then.

Pendragon
08-25-2011, 11:27 AM

Not sure I could agree with a prison term but there is an argument I suppose for depraved indifference. Then again, the animals shouldn't be legal to own then.

If it was your mother you would want them to go to jail.

They absolutely should go to jail.

If you shot your gun through a wall and the bullet [escaped] and injured someone what do you think would happen?

Mister D
08-25-2011, 11:29 AM

If you shot your gun through a wall and the bullet [escaped] and injured someone what do you think would happen?

That's just an emotional argument.

Why?

Apples and oranges. If I randomly fired a weapon I thin I would be in legal trouble. Your point is what?

Conley
08-25-2011, 11:32 AM

True, I would be out for blood. Logical thought would be impossible...in this hypothetical I'm not sure.

Pendragon
08-25-2011, 11:36 AM

Why?

Apples and oranges. If I randomly fired a weapon I thin I would be in legal trouble. Your point is what?

Here we go with those points again. ::)

The point is that both the gun and the dogs are weapons.

If you are irresponsible with either one then people get hurt.

Get it?

Mister D
08-25-2011, 11:41 AM

Why?

Get it?

You made an analogy to consciously firing a weapon! :D That might be valid if in our scenario someone siced the animal on another person but that's not what we're talking about. Your analogy would work better if a gun accidently went off somehow and managed to injure someone. Do you really think you'd go to prison for that?

Mister D
08-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Get it? ;D

Pendragon
08-25-2011, 11:50 AM

Why?

Get it?

You made an analogy to consciously firing a weapon! :D That might be valid if in our scenario someone siced the animal on another person but that's not what we're talking about. Your analogy would work better if a gun accidently went off somehow and managed to injure someone. Do you really think you'd go to prison for that?

Obviously I meant uninentionally. I thought that was clear.

And as another point to answer your question yes it is quite likely you would serve jail time for shooting somone.

Mister D
08-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Why?

Get it?

Obviously I meant uninentionally. I thought that was clear.

And as another point to answer your question yes it is quite likely you would serve jail time for shooting somone.

No, you would not receive a prison sentence for accidently shooting someone. That wouldn't be just. Only if you displayed depraved indifference or something like that.

Conley
08-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Hmm, well this guy got ten days:

MITCHELL, SD - A 25-year-old Mitchell man has been sentenced to spend 10 days in jail for accidentally shooting and injuring his roommate.

Blair Margiotti was sentenced Thursday after pleading guilty to reckless discharge of a firearm. He was ordered to pay more than $7,000 to 25-year-old Rocky Reuer.

Police say Margiotti admitted to handling a loaded firearm while he was drunk and shooting Reuer in the right knee as he was either unloading or taking the firearm apart.

Reuer said in a letter to the court that he did not want Margiotti to serve jail time because it was accident. Reuer did ask for restitution.

Reuer appeared in court after the March shooting on unrelated charges, including possessing a controlled substance and driving drunk.

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=116180

Mister D
08-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Hmm, well this guy got ten days:

MITCHELL, SD - A 25-year-old Mitchell man has been sentenced to spend 10 days in jail for accidentally shooting and injuring his roommate.

Blair Margiotti was sentenced Thursday after pleading guilty to reckless discharge of a firearm. He was ordered to pay more than $7,000 to 25-year-old Rocky Reuer.

Police say Margiotti admitted to handling a loaded firearm while he was drunk and shooting Reuer in the right knee as he was either unloading or taking the firearm apart.

Reuer said in a letter to the court that he did not want Margiotti to serve jail time because it was accident. Reuer did ask for restitution.

Reuer appeared in court after the March shooting on unrelated charges, including possessing a controlled substance and driving drunk.

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=116180

And perhaps he should because he was drunk and playing with a gun. That's what I mean by depraved indifference although this probaby wouldn't count. He's also a repeat offender. sounds like a real winner.

To constitute depraved indifference, the defendant's conduct must be 'so wanton, so deficient in a moral sense of concern, so lacking in regard for the life or lives of others, and so blameworthy as to warrant the same criminal liability as that which the law imposes upon a person who intentionally causes a crime. Depraved indifference focuses on the risk created by the defendant’s conduct, not the injuries actually resulting.

It could be an accident (i.e. no harm was intended) but your behavior was so risky it warrants greater penalties.

Conley
08-25-2011, 01:46 PM
I think it was the other guy with the prior history, but I'm sure being drunk was part of the "reckless discharging of a firearm" that he was charged with.

Mister D
08-25-2011, 02:14 PM
I think it was the other guy with the prior history, but I'm sure being drunk was part of the "reckless discharging of a firearm" that he was charged with.

Oh, you're right. It is the other dude.

I have at least 7 weapons at home. There is no way I'd mess around with them (especially while they are loaded!!!) after drinking.