PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures... D&D, Heroscape and others

Archer0915
05-18-2015, 07:47 AM
Anyone else mess around with Miniatures? I messed around a little as a kid/teen/pre-old and then it stopped until my daughter and her cousins got old enough to play. Now my sons are old enough and it is time again:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7rTDSZo5f1w/VVkrUUSywLI/AAAAAAAAGNg/BUbEBf7jjxg/w1196-h716-no/IMAG0575.jpg

Chris
05-18-2015, 07:54 AM
Does model railroading count? HO. Used to have an entire room dedicated to it when my son was little.

Archer0915
05-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Does model railroading count? HO. Used to have an entire room dedicated to it when my son was little.
Chris, believe it or not that is my RR table:)

As far a gaming, not really. As far as growing your child's mind and helping their imaginations? Definately.

I should start a Choo-Choo thread.

PolWatch
05-18-2015, 08:17 AM
I built a doll house for a niece about 30 years ago and became addicted to the hobby. I have built a doll house & furnished them for all my nieces and several neighbors! I worked in 1/12 scale for major projects but have also done some 1/4 scale.

We had a very active miniature club in this area with some very talent people.....I learned a lot from them. We often displayed with railroad enthusiasts....the love of all things small!

One of our members created a collection of historic homes in miniature. To walk into a room that contains appx 20 replicas of homes you see on city streets is a unique experience.

'The Friedman Miniature House Gallery
Visit our permanent exhibit displaying the miniature houses created by Mobilian Aaron B. Friedman, who built the houses for his granddaughters and later donated them to the museum. The gallery also features selections from the museum’s toy collection, which were donated as part of the Sue Deal Doll Collection.

The exhibit includes impressive miniatures of Mobile and Alabama mansions. Come marvel at such remarkable craftsmanship!'
http://www.museumofmobile.com/permanent_exh.php

Archer0915
05-18-2015, 08:27 AM

PolWatch
05-18-2015, 08:31 AM
HO scale?

Archer0915
05-18-2015, 08:36 AM
HO scale?

Yupper!

I run DCC on a few of my engines as well. Makes for fun play.

PolWatch
05-18-2015, 08:57 AM
Trying to find a local source for miniatures has always been a problem for me. The kidney association of LA used to hold a miniature show in New Orleans every Memorial Day weekend. It was a great source for anyone looking for items other than mass produced stuff from China. There were some real artists at the shows. Anyone who could produce blown glass vases in 1/12 scale & smaller has talent!

I don't know if they still hold the shows there now. I mentioned this because I always ran into a few railroad enthusiasts at the shows for the same reason. Some of the artists worked in 1/4 or even 1/144 scale and they could be used in HO scale.

Archer0915
05-18-2015, 09:11 AM
The hobby shop and actual hands on stuff is going south (south, as into hell, not geographical). As parents join the rat race they forget their kids. Modeling... Well I had to drive 100 miles to find a decent hobby shop...

I am trying to get my kids into modeling as well. Mostly military because the paint is more forgiving.

I will be starting a BIG one soon, http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN965514

I really feel our younger generation is missing out on quite a bit.

PolWatch
05-18-2015, 09:24 AM
I agree with kids issue. models, railroading, miniatures teach kids a lot....they need the creativity. Its too easy for kids to sit & watch a screen, waiting for entertainment instead of being actively involved in creating entertainment.

Archer0915
05-18-2015, 10:18 AM
I agree with kids issue. models, railroading, miniatures teach kids a lot....they need the creativity. Its too easy for kids to sit & watch a screen, waiting for entertainment instead of being actively involved in creating entertainment.

I try to do right by my kids. My wife and I are in somewhat of a bad position, as far as income goes and keeping up with the Joneses, as one of us must stay home, most of the time.

This does give a big advantage when it comes to taking care of the kids and pointing them in the proper direction.

Around the kids political talk in a no-no. If you say president, Obama, governor, McCrory or senator (that is a good one because my wife had to talk to one last night) you get the Ooooo you said a bad word...

We try to focus on doing. My kids get 1/2 hour of electronics time a day unless they play together and then it is one hour. There are times when me and the kids play but that is family time. The TV goes off at 8 PM, no exceptions, and we read. As of late the reading has been reference material, because that is what they want.

We do some gardening, woodwork, auto mechanics (my daughter was doing break jobs, wheel bearings and oil changes at 12).

We try the modeling from time to time because I do not want to burn them out. Sometimes they help me:

PolWatch
05-18-2015, 10:26 AM
My son used to complain that he was abused....we did not allow video games & restricted TV access. He spent time learning to do things and reading for entertainment. He survived and has admitted that some of the skills he learned has helped him more than playing video games or unrestricted TV would have done.

Of course, he is now 43 so don't hold your breath waiting for the young'uns to realize that soon!

Archer0915
05-18-2015, 10:30 AM
My son used to complain that he was abused....we did not allow video games & restricted TV access. He spent time learning to do things and reading for entertainment. He survived and has admitted that some of the skills he learned has helped him more than playing video games or unrestricted TV would have done.

Of course, he is now 43 so don't hold your breath waiting for the young'uns to realize that soon!

believe it or not, my daughter thanks me. She is 16 and about to start dual enrollment at the local CC. She is happy and she already shows appreciation, when she is not talking back and being a teen.

PolWatch
05-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Back talk is a requirement for membership in the United States Teen Union....they could lose their card if they were polite all the time....