PDA

View Full Version : What if climate change is real?

CreepyOldDude
05-18-2015, 03:25 PM
An excellent TED Talk at Texas Tech U, by Katherine Hayhoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtrYNGs9oRM

Common
05-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Well If they had been right all along about global warming in 1980 they said the earth would be too hot to grow alot of things we do now in 30 yrs, well were past that.

CreepyOldDude
05-18-2015, 03:32 PM
Well If they had been right all along about global warming in 1980 they said the earth would be too hot to grow alot of things we do now in 30 yrs, well were past that.

Don't you know more about some things now, than you did 30 years ago? Why should scientists be any different?

Polecat
05-18-2015, 03:42 PM
Climate change is a matter of fact. What is bogus is the claim that humans are causing it and that humans can correct it. But there is a sweet fortune to made off frightened suckers.

Peter1469
05-18-2015, 03:45 PM
There has never been a time since earth was born that climate was not changing.

Chris
05-18-2015, 03:47 PM
Climate change is real, and we necessarily contribute to it, the questios are how much, how bad, and what to do.

CreepyOldDude
05-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Climate change is a matter of fact. What is bogus is the claim that humans are causing it and that humans can correct it. But there is a sweet fortune to made off frightened suckers.

Because, of course, dumping hundreds of millions of tons of CO2 into the air that were sequestered deep underground couldn't possibly change anything.

CreepyOldDude
05-18-2015, 03:54 PM
There has never been a time since earth was born that climate was not changing.

Kind of a cop out, Peter. Sure, it's always changing. But what drives the change? Climate scientists have covered every driver they've discovered, and none of the natural drivers account for the trends of the last century or so.

Peter1469
05-18-2015, 03:56 PM
Because, of course, dumping hundreds of millions of tons of CO2 into the air that were sequestered deep underground couldn't possibly change anything.

We are now up to .004% CO2 in the atmosphere. Panic everyone. :shocked:

http://earthguide.ucsd.edu/virtualmuseum/images/raw/CCC_Fig4_2_1.jpg

Polecat
05-18-2015, 03:58 PM

One volcanic eruption dose this much.

CreepyOldDude
05-18-2015, 04:03 PM
Climate change is real, and we necessarily contribute to it, the questios are how much, how bad, and what to do.

Very true. I'd like to see us doing more to convert to wind, solar, water, geothermal, and nuclear. And planting more fast growing trees to sequester carbon. Plant them, let them grow for around 25 years, then cut them down for furniture or building materials, and plant more. I'm sure there are a lot of ideas I'm not thinking of.

This whole "Let's wait until we know for certain all the details" is dumb. In Nam, if we expected an attack on a firebase, we didn't wait until we knew all the details of the attack to start planning for it.

CreepyOldDude
05-18-2015, 04:23 PM
We are now up to .004% CO2 in the atmosphere. Panic everyone. :shocked:

http://earthguide.ucsd.edu/virtualmuseum/images/raw/CCC_Fig4_2_1.jpg

Okay, first, you're off by an order of magnitude. It's 0.04%, not 0.004%.

Secondly, there were no humans back when it was really high. If we were all hunter/gatherers, it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference to us now, even if it rose to 4 or 5%. But we're not hunter/gatherers. We have towns, cities, infrastructure. And all of that is vulnerable to bad weather, which will increase as the Earth warms. Permafrost is melting, which means that methane that's been locked away for tens of thousands of years is now being released.

If CO2 ever gets to 7%, we're in serious trouble, because that's a toxic level. People start dying of asphyxia when it hits 7%.

Peter1469
05-18-2015, 04:26 PM
Sorry, decimal point in the wrong place.

Point is that 4 ppm is not a big deal.

Science is fast moving us beyond fossil fuels. These fossil fuels saved humanity and allowed us to advance. Sure it caused pollution. It is a trade-off and we will soon be fossil fuel free.

Secondly, there were no humans back when it was really high. If we were all hunter/gatherers, it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference to us now, even if it rose to 4 or 5%. But we're not hunter/gatherers. We have towns, cities, infrastructure. And all of that is vulnerable to bad weather, which will increase as the Earth warms. Permafrost is melting, which means that methane that's been locked away for tens of thousands of years is now being released.

If CO2 ever gets to 7%, we're in serious trouble, because that's a toxic level. People start dying of asphyxia when it hits 7%.

Chris
05-18-2015, 04:28 PM
Very true. I'd like to see us doing more to convert to wind, solar, water, geothermal, and nuclear. And planting more fast growing trees to sequester carbon. Plant them, let them grow for around 25 years, then cut them down for furniture or building materials, and plant more. I'm sure there are a lot of ideas I'm not thinking of.

This whole "Let's wait until we know for certain all the details" is dumb. In Nam, if we expected an attack on a firebase, we didn't wait until we knew all the details of the attack to start planning for it.

There's all sorts of adjustments we could make and it could be driven by the market rather than politics.

Cigar
05-18-2015, 05:41 PM
http://kinialohaguy.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/banghead.gif#banging%20head%20against%20wall%20200 x200
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/d2/dc/69/d2dc697964bffc02f069fa9fa2cdb51d.jpg

Peter1469
05-18-2015, 06:06 PM
http://kinialohaguy.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/banghead.gif#banging head against wall 200x200
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/d2/dc/69/d2dc697964bffc02f069fa9fa2cdb51d.jpg

pats on head.

kilgram
05-18-2015, 06:21 PM
Incredible. A thread where we agree.

Bob
05-18-2015, 06:24 PM

Good video

Now, explain how you rope the Chinese, Indians from India and the rest of the world to change what they do?

We Americans have done the Texas two step bending over backwards to solve this. So far, nothing is working.

Common
05-18-2015, 06:25 PM
Don't you know more about some things now, than you did 30 years ago? Why should scientists be any different?

Problem is Creepy is that science says one thing today emphatically and changes it in the near future. Their track record sucks for being on the money

Bob
05-18-2015, 06:29 PM

I believe we are at 400 ppm (Million)

We will all have been long buried by the time it could get to 7 percent.

Rufus
06-02-2015, 10:09 PM
Ask the dinosaurs and the wholly mammoth if climate change is real. The problem is, they didn't drive cars when it changed on them.

Redrose
06-02-2015, 10:28 PM

I believe climate change is real, but it's cyclical, nothing caused by man.

Bob
06-02-2015, 11:09 PM

i get a kick how supposedly it's all our fault.

I suck cold air out of the freezer and blow it out.

Sooner or later I will cool it down.

Bob
06-02-2015, 11:10 PM
Ask the dinosaurs and the wholly mammoth if climate change is real. The problem is, they didn't drive cars when it changed on them.

Climate does change.

Has since planet Earth was created.

Chris
06-03-2015, 08:44 AM
i get a kick how supposedly it's all our fault.

I suck cold air out of the freezer and blow it out.

Sooner or later I will cool it down.

I get a kick out of people who deny it on grounds someone unknown says it's all our fault.

And climate change isn't entropy.

Common Sense
06-03-2015, 08:53 AM
One volcanic eruption dose this much.

That's a myth.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/volcanoes-and-global-warming-intermediate.htm

Captain Obvious
06-03-2015, 08:59 AM
Climate change is real, only fringe loons deny it.

Same concept as to why bithers are still lurking around still. Institutionalization is a funny thing.

nic34
06-03-2015, 09:00 AM

Anyone that believes the climate doesn't change is an idiot.

nic34
06-03-2015, 09:09 AM

Not to mention economics, self sufficiency and living healthier are worthwhile goals in and of themselves.... why do we always need to wait for disaster to do what's right?

Chris
06-03-2015, 09:34 AM

Well poisoning.

Not to mention economics, self sufficiency and living healthier are worthwhile goals in and of themselves.... why do we always need to wait for disaster to do what's right?

What should we do, nic?

Bob
06-03-2015, 04:57 PM
I get a kick out of people who deny it on grounds someone unknown says it's all our fault.

And climate change isn't entropy.

Didn't I tell you the story of when I talked to the Einstein of global Climate?

Didn't you watch the videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOU306AvvHE

Common Sense
06-03-2015, 05:00 PM
LOL...Lindzen is the Einstein of climate change? I think you mean the Jerry Lewis of climate change.

Bob
06-03-2015, 05:10 PM

I have never read that climate does not change. It has changed like forever.

Ethereal
06-03-2015, 05:15 PM
The denial of climate change is just a strawman that warmists trot out over and over again in order to misrepresent the views of skeptics.

In fact, I don't think I've ever seen an actual example of someone who denies the existence of "climate change".

Ethereal
06-03-2015, 05:15 PM
LOL...Lindzen is the Einstein of climate change? I think you mean the Jerry Lewis of climate change.

I wouldn't go so far as to label him the "Einstein of climate change", but he is certainly a reputable and eminent "climate scientist".

Chris
06-03-2015, 05:18 PM
The denial of climate change is just a strawman that warmists trot out over and over again in order to misrepresent the views of skeptics.

In fact, I don't think I've ever seen an actual example of someone who denies the existence of "climate change".

You're right but there are those who deny man has any effect on climate change.

Ethereal
06-03-2015, 05:20 PM
You're right but there are those who deny man has any effect on climate change.

Yes, all ten of them... :grin: