PDA

View Full Version : rules question.

magicmike
05-31-2015, 12:32 PM
I thought I saw in the rules something about insults and good faith posting. Can these be explained? I don't see them being followed especially by some, mostly what appears to be libertarian and far right posters and extreme left posters. Thanks.

Captain Obvious
05-31-2015, 12:34 PM
The report button is your friend

Chris
05-31-2015, 12:45 PM
Mostly we mods look at what's reported by members, though if we happen across insults we too as members may report them. The team then discusses whether the insult is snark or mild, or over the top and deserving a warning. If we reach consensus, we act. This may or may not align with anyone else's sense of what should be allowed or not. You are free to question moderation (in)action in PMs and we will reconsider.

libertarian and far right posters and extreme left posters

But not statists?

Seems to be a common plaint that my side is picked on and the other sides get away with murder.

Common
05-31-2015, 01:11 PM
I thought I saw in the rules something about insults and good faith posting. Can these be explained? I don't see them being followed especially by some, mostly what appears to be libertarian and far right posters and extreme left posters. Thanks.

You just named the entire forum :)

Cigar
05-31-2015, 01:13 PM

You've noticed ... :laugh:

Just wait until Racist Wednesday.

PattyHill
05-31-2015, 01:25 PM
The report button is your friend

I have to say, I'd appreciate more feedback after pressing the button. As far as I can tell, nothing happens. But of course something could be happening that I don't hear about. Or they don't think anything I report is worth doing something about. If I got feedback, I'd have a better idea of what's allowed and what isn't.

Chris
05-31-2015, 01:27 PM
I have to say, I'd appreciate more feedback after pressing the button. As far as I can tell, nothing happens. But of course something could be happening that I don't hear about. Or they don't think anything I report is worth doing something about. If I got feedback, I'd have a better idea of what's allowed and what isn't.

We used to but it's time consuming. Now we either act or we do not and you will see the action in a post or by red flag infractions on a post. Feel free to follow up though.

Common
05-31-2015, 01:27 PM
You've noticed ... :laugh:

Just wait until Racist Wednesday.

Everyday is racist day for you. Pathetic you trying to play the victim here

Green Arrow
05-31-2015, 01:38 PM
I don't get complaining over the rules. No offence meant, magicmike. It just seems silly to me. I know when I screw up and I take my well-deserved punishments. Most of the time I do it fully expecting to be thrown in the dungeon, I won't argue with the mods over it because I know exactly what I'm doing.

Cigar
05-31-2015, 02:01 PM
Everyday is racist day for you. Pathetic you trying to play the victim here

I'll never be a Victim, because I give it back; Fuck The Rules :grin:

The Xl
05-31-2015, 02:05 PM
Oh boy, more fabricated bullshit. Somehow, the Macs of the world feel persecuted too and feel that libs get away with everything. How do you explain that one

Chris
05-31-2015, 02:06 PM

Do you think anyone who's known you for more than a few days buys this tough guy act? On the Interweb no less.

Cigar
05-31-2015, 02:10 PM
Do you think anyone who's known you for more than a few days buys this tough guy act? On the Interweb no less.

Do you thing I give-a-Shit what you or anyone else buys On or Off The Web? :laugh:

PattyHill
05-31-2015, 02:11 PM
We used to but it's time consuming. Now we either act or we do not and you will see the action in a post or by red flag infractions on a post. Feel free to follow up though.

Thanks. I never go back to the post I reported to see if it got flagged or not. But at least now I know.

Chris
05-31-2015, 02:12 PM
Do you thing I give-a-Shit what you or anyone else buys On or Off The Web? :laugh:

Yes, you wouldn't be posting in this thread or in response to me if you truly didn't give a shit. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

PattyHill
05-31-2015, 02:12 PM
I don't get complaining over the rules. No offence meant, magicmike. It just seems silly to me. I know when I screw up and I take my well-deserved punishments. Most of the time I do it fully expecting to be thrown in the dungeon, I won't argue with the mods over it because I know exactly what I'm doing.

I thought the op was just looking for a clarification on what they meant; I didn't think he was complaining necessarily. Could just be my interpretation.

Cigar
05-31-2015, 02:13 PM
Wow Rule Enforcement is Time Consuing :rollseyes:

Chris
05-31-2015, 02:24 PM
Wow Rule Enforcement is Time Consuing :rollseyes:

Not what I said. Learn to spell, or is that too time consuming?

Peter1469
05-31-2015, 02:28 PM
here

Cigar
05-31-2015, 02:29 PM
Not what I said. Learn to spell, or is that too time consuming?

U didn't saaa anything ... U typed it and thus typos happenz :laugh:

sachem
05-31-2015, 02:39 PM
There are rules?

MisterVeritis
05-31-2015, 02:44 PM
Me too, usually. Sometimes the caretakers mystify me. For example, I bet if you polled them most would support abortion....LOL. But if I suggest that abortion is the answer, whoa!

:-)

Polecat
05-31-2015, 03:25 PM
Thanks. I never go back to the post I reported to see if it got flagged or not. But at least now I know.

Why did you report me?:crybaby2:

Chris
05-31-2015, 03:49 PM
There are rules?

Not for you.

Peter1469
05-31-2015, 03:51 PM
If people did this, they would not run afoul of the Rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_yJFLvmjJY

sachem
05-31-2015, 04:02 PM
Not for you.Thanks.

:D

Don
05-31-2015, 04:05 PM

Interweb? I would think you might have watched Gas Monkey Garages Richard Rawlings from Fast 'N' Loud but he calls it the "Ole Interweb.":laugh:

Redrose
05-31-2015, 04:12 PM

That is the problem in a nut shell.

Chris
05-31-2015, 04:13 PM
Interweb? I would think you might have watched Gas Monkey Garages Richard Rawlings from Fast 'N' Loud but he calls it the "Ole Interweb.":laugh:

That is in fact where I picked it up. :D

silvereyes
05-31-2015, 04:36 PM
Lol. I thought you channeled al gore.

magicmike
05-31-2015, 11:10 PM
Mostly we mods look at what's reported by members, though if we happen across insults we too as members may report them. The team then discusses whether the insult is snark or mild, or over the top and deserving a warning. If we reach consensus, we act. This may or may not align with anyone else's sense of what should be allowed or not. You are free to question moderation (in)action in PMs and we will reconsider.

But not statists?

Seems to be a common plaint that my side is picked on and the other sides get away with murder.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm not talking about snark or smarm I was talking about flat out insults. Now what's a statist?

magicmike
05-31-2015, 11:13 PM

That's another reason for this thread. I've reported a couple of posts, obvious insults, and never see anything done to the offender.Sometimes it makes it seem not worth the time.

magicmike
05-31-2015, 11:17 PM

How did you take that as complaining? I was pointing something out that i thought should be discussed, that's all. Name calling and insulting others is childish and trollish. Do we want to play in the schoolyard or discuss politics?

magicmike
05-31-2015, 11:20 PM
Oh boy, more fabricated bull$#@!. Somehow, the Macs of the world feel persecuted too and feel that libs get away with everything. How do you explain that one
That's about as far away from what I said as possible. Did you see where I tried to include most groups?

magicmike
05-31-2015, 11:21 PM
I thought the op was just looking for a clarification on what they meant; I didn't think he was complaining necessarily. Could just be my interpretation.

Bingo!

magicmike
05-31-2015, 11:23 PM
Not for you.

That's the problem. For a few posters it gives the impression there really are no rules.

Cthulhu
06-01-2015, 04:04 AM
I'll never be a Victim, because I give it back; $#@! The Rules :grin:

Calm down Pikachu. Put some tiger balm on it.

https://drawception.com/pub/panels/2013/5-20/Dc3Zs4gnTt-4.png

Captain Obvious
06-01-2015, 06:49 AM
How did you take that as complaining? I was pointing something out that i thought should be discussed, that's all. Name calling and insulting others is childish and trollish. Do we want to play in the schoolyard or discuss politics?

Yes it's childish and trollish, shit happens.

It's not the mods job to be babysitters. If someone insults you and you feel obligated, report it. If you insult back and report it then you're using the mods/rules as tools for retaliation, it happens a lot.

If you see someone else insulting someone else, who cares? Just make note of the level of wit of those folks for future reference and move on.

Chris
06-01-2015, 09:10 AM
That's the problem. For a few posters it gives the impression there really are no rules.

Magic, I was joking with sachem. Lighten up.

Chris
06-01-2015, 09:14 AM
That's about as far away from what I said as possible. Did you see where I tried to include most groups?

Except, as I pointed out, statists. Let me draw you a diagram:

http://i.snag.gy/01e2T.jpg

Left and right in American are virtually the same, despite all the partisan huffing and puffing. Both generally tend to be statist, wanting to control other people's wealth, religion, lives. That's a huge faction you left out.

Oh oh, this might now turn into a political discussion.

Chris
06-01-2015, 09:17 AM
Thanks for clarifying. I'm not talking about snark or smarm I was talking about flat out insults. Now what's a statist?

The problem is what you consider snark and insult the next person might not. That's why mods work as a team to discuss what's reported or what we happen across. That's all we can do. It's more on the memdbers to keep it civil if you find any value in coming here and posting your opinions and ideas.

Tricia
06-01-2015, 09:36 AM

I agree, the elementary school antics suck. Unfortunately, when you get so many different personalities discussing something as divisive as politics, some crap's going to fly sometimes.

silvereyes
06-01-2015, 11:55 AM
Flying crap. Now that's a funny mental image. :)

Tricia
06-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Flying crap. Now that's a funny mental image. :)

:poopfan:

silvereyes
06-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Ewwwwww! Gee, spanks. Lol.

Archer0915
06-01-2015, 01:37 PM

Do note that some of us insult each other for fun and we understand that, it is generally ignored. Sometimes things do get a little rough and stuff should be reported. Also not that as a community all of us bear some responsibility and when we see it getting out of hand or off topic, try to help bring it back.

A mod is not a paid position.

Bob
06-01-2015, 01:53 PM

He does. Why would you suppose it is the WWW? And not the WWI? Or the WWN?

Chris
06-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Interweb is sarcastic.

magicmike
06-01-2015, 05:28 PM
Except, as I pointed out, statists. Let me draw you a diagram:

http://i.snag.gy/01e2T.jpg

Left and right in American are virtually the same, despite all the partisan huffing and puffing. Both generally tend to be statist, wanting to control other people's wealth, religion, lives. That's a huge faction you left out.

Oh oh, this might now turn into a political discussion.

Left and right are mostly the same because the majority of Americans are centrist. I would question Libertarian as the ideal though.

The only reason they have no position on anything is because they hide their extreme right philosophy behind the Tea Parties skirts.

magicmike
06-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Do note that some of us insult each other for fun and we understand that, it is generally ignored. Sometimes things do get a little rough and stuff should be reported. Also not that as a community all of us bear some responsibility and when we see it getting out of hand or off topic, try to help bring it back.

A mod is not a paid position.

From what I've seen you could use some of that self discipline, sir.

Green Arrow
06-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Left and right are mostly the same because the majority of Americans are centrist. I would question Libertarian as the ideal though.

The only reason they have no position on anything is because they hide their extreme right philosophy behind the Tea Parties skirts.

Libertarians don't have a position on anything? Link?

Mister D
06-01-2015, 05:35 PM

Out of all of you, the libertarians are by far the most intellectual as a group. I don't get slogans from libertarians. I don't emotional babble. I don't get outrage. I don't get frivolous accusations of racism, sexism, "homophobia etc. I get real arguments. I disagree with much of what they ( The Xl @Chris (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=128) @Ethereal (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=870) for example) have to say but what they have to say is substantive.

The left and right are "mostly the same" in the US because they share the same premises. They differ on details.

Chris
06-01-2015, 05:43 PM

Centrist because politicians race to the center.

Of course you question libertarianism, you're a statist.

You have no idea what libertarianism is, do you. You say no position when I just positioned them with the Nolan Chart. There are left libertarians and right libertarians. While libertarians would tend to agree with the Tea Parties' tenets of less taxes, smaller government, and more liberty, there's much more than that populist movement to libertarianism.

Mister D
06-01-2015, 05:46 PM
That's another thing. Our libertarians don't remain in their ideological shells. They come out and compete. The GOP drones say "lib lib lib lib" and the progressives put you on ignore.

The Xl
06-01-2015, 06:04 PM

Most libertarians I know, including myself, aren't members or even supporters of the tea party.

Libertarians have plenty of clear positions with solutions, like on the drug war, foreign policy, economics, etc, so I don't now what you're getting at here.

magicmike
06-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Libertarians don't have a position on anything? Link?

They defer to the states.

magicmike
06-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Centrist because politicians race to the center.

Of course you question libertarianism, you're a statist.

You have no idea what libertarianism is, do you. You say no position when I just positioned them with the Nolan Chart. There are left libertarians and right libertarians. While libertarians would tend to agree with the Tea Parties' tenets of less taxes, smaller government, and more liberty, there's much more than that populist movement to libertarianism.

Most libertarians I know, including myself, aren't members or even supporters of the tea party.

Libertarians have plenty of clear positions with solutions, like on the drug war, foreign policy, economics, etc, so I don't now what you're getting at here.

Lol.

Sorry Chris, I have no interest in a chart made by the founder of the libertarian party. Like most libertarians I know he's got a much higher regard for himself and his pseudo intelligence than anything.

The greatest fault in his chart is putting the so-called statists at the bottom of it thus showing his complete and utter disregard for the downtrodden, another sad trait of libertarians.

Green Arrow
06-01-2015, 06:22 PM
That's another thing. Our libertarians don't remain in their ideological shells. They come out and compete. The GOP drones say "lib lib lib lib" and the progressives put you on ignore.

Out of all of you, the libertarians are by far the most intellectual as a group. I don't get slogans from libertarians. I don't emotional babble. I don't get outrage. I don't get frivolous accusations of racism, sexism, "homophobia etc. I get real arguments. I disagree with much of what they ( @The Xl (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=865) @Chris (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=128) @Ethereal (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=870) for example) have to say but what they have to say is substantive.

The left and right are "mostly the same" in the US because they share the same premises. They differ on details.

That's what initially attracted me to libertarianism, to be honest. When I tried to bring my issues up to fellow Republicans, I never got a valid argument in response and just got treated like I was a Christian converting to Satanism. When I tried to bring up those same issues with Democrats, I got laughed at. I brought them up to libertarians, and I got DEBATE. Wonderful, intelligent, logical debate.

It was beautiful.

Green Arrow
06-01-2015, 06:23 PM

How is that not taking a position on anything?

Green Arrow
06-01-2015, 06:24 PM
The greatest fault in his chart is putting the so-called statists at the bottom of it thus showing his complete and utter disregard for the downtrodden, another sad trait of libertarians.

Are you being serious right now?

Peter1469
06-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Lol.

Sorry Chris, I have no interest in a chart made by the founder of the libertarian party. Like most libertarians I know he's got a much higher regard for himself and his pseudo intelligence than anything.

The position on the chart is meaningless. It is the difference between the groups that matters.

The Xl
06-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Are you being serious right now?

Lol, he probably is.

Green Arrow
06-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Ironically enough, that really just perfectly illustrated Mister D's point.

The Xl
06-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Ironically enough, that really just perfectly illustrated @Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4)'s point.

I was about to post that exact thing, you beat me to the punch

Mister D
06-01-2015, 06:56 PM
The position on the chart is meaningless. It is the difference between the groups that matters.

I mean seriously?

Chris
06-01-2015, 06:59 PM

But you said "The only reason they have no position on anything...." Now you say they do.

I would put it this way, on principle of the government governs best which governs least, the smaller the government the better. So some adhere to state's rights. Personally, I'm a libertarian anarchist.

Chris
06-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Lol.

So you don't want to discuss the substance of the chart--libertarians being for both greater personal and economic freedom--instead you'd rather logically fallaciously attack Nolan as messenger.

I agree, statism should be on top since it's so authoritarian and domineering. Here you go:

http://i.snag.gy/IqM6U.jpg

The meaning of the chart's the same though.

Mister D
06-01-2015, 07:05 PM
magicmike take that test and see where you fall on the chart.

Mister D
06-01-2015, 07:05 PM
Do you have a link for that test, Chris ?

Chris
06-01-2015, 07:52 PM
Do you have a link for that test, Chris ?

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/40961-Political-Chart

PattyHill
06-01-2015, 09:08 PM
how exactly did this thread turn into a libertarian thread?

Chris
06-01-2015, 09:15 PM
http://i.snag.gy/Klkgp.jpg

Ethereal
06-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Out of all of you, the libertarians are by far the most intellectual as a group. I don't get slogans from libertarians. I don't emotional babble. I don't get outrage. I don't get frivolous accusations of racism, sexism, "homophobia etc. I get real arguments. I disagree with much of what they ( @The Xl (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=865) @Chris (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=128) @Ethereal (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=870) for example) have to say but what they have to say is substantive.

We may be wrong about everything, but we go about being wrong in as intellectual a manner as possible... :grin:

Cthulhu
06-02-2015, 04:51 PM
how exactly did this thread turn into a libertarian thread?
All your base are belong to us.

Sent from my evil, kitten eating cell phone.