PDA

View Full Version : Happy Hurricane Season!!

PolWatch
06-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Y'all thought today was just June 1....wrong. For us on the Gulf/Atlantic coasts, today is the first day of hurricane season. Today we get to check our generators & make sure we have fresh batteries for everything we own. We then sit back & keep our fingers crossed until December. This year is supposed to a slow year....and we all know how accurate weather predictions are.

'The predictions are in, and most experts are betting that 2015 will be a quiet year for hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean and the rest of the Atlantic. But that's not a free pass for those along the coast, as history has proven.
<snip>

"Once every six years we tend to have a named storm affect our area -- the Alabama-Mississippi border down to around the Destin area," said Jeffrey Medlin, the meteorologist in charge at the National Weather Service office in Mobile.
"We're getting well past that. ... I can just tell you from having worked here for 21 hurricane seasons that I don't think I've seen us go this long without something. If you look at it locally, we're so overdue it isn't even funny."
<snip>

Fortunately, El Nino is expected to help keep a lid on most hurricane activity this summer. El Nino was officially declared active in March and is expected by many to intensify over the summer months. An El Nino-Southern Oscillation cycle (ENSO) occurs when the Pacific Ocean off the coast of South America is warmer than average (greater than 0.5 degrees Celsius for at least six consecutive months). That sets off a chain reaction of climate effects that are felt globally."

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/05/hurricane_season_2015_what_you.html

Ravens Fan
06-01-2015, 06:48 PM
"Happy Hurricane Season"? Isn't that kinda like saying "Have a great time at the dentist"? Lol.

Peter1469
06-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Hurricane parties are a blast!

PolWatch
06-01-2015, 06:49 PM
"Happy Hurricane Season"? Isn't that kinda like saying "Have a great time at the dentist"? Lol.

yeap....like whistling in the dark as you walk past the local haunted house....:shocked:

Ravens Fan
06-01-2015, 06:51 PM
I did have a blast when Isabel came through here years ago. I was still very active up the Firehouse and spent 4 days on the brush truck. Had some close calls with electrical wires, but other than that it was a fun experience.

PolWatch
06-01-2015, 06:55 PM
fun? come visit during a Katrina or a Camille....I'll show ya what real fun is....btw: how's your swimming skills? are you good at tree dodging or skydiving without a chute?

Peter1469
06-01-2015, 06:56 PM
I worked Hurricane Andrew with the Louisiana Army National Guard. That was a lot of fun. Got all over south western LA- all the way to the gulf.

Ravens Fan
06-01-2015, 06:59 PM
fun? come visit during a Katrina or a Camille....I'll show ya what real fun is....btw: how's your swimming skills? are you good at tree dodging or skydiving without a chute?

I cant help but remember this past winter when we were getting all kinds of snow up here... :smiley_ROFLMAO:

But seriously, I don't know how I react to a full blown hurricane, they always threaten us, but end up weakening quite a bit before they get here.

PolWatch
06-01-2015, 07:04 PM
I cant help but remember this past winter when we were getting all kinds of snow up here... :smiley_ROFLMAO:

But seriously, I don't know how I react to a full blown hurricane, they always threaten us, but end up weakening quite a bit before they get here.

good point. I think y'all get snow more often than we get hurricanes! I've lived in hurricane country most of my life....they are normal to me. I know when to stay & when to leave. Snow & ice....that is something I don't want anything to do with.

waltky
06-01-2017, 02:18 PM
Record 139-Months w/o a major hurricane...
http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
Hurricane Season Starts--After Record 139-Month Major Hurricane Drought
June 1, 2017 - The 2017 hurricane season begins today, June 1--a record 139 months after the last major hurricane made landfall in the continental United States, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

NOAA is currently predicting that an "above normal Atlantic hurricane season is likely for this year." The last major hurricane to hit the continental United States was Hurricane Wilma, which made landfall in Florida on Oct. 24, 2005. That year, four major hurricanes hit the continental United States, according to NOAA. They included Dennis, Katrina, Rita and Wilma.

But since Wilma hit on Oct. 24, 2005, no Category 3 or above hurricane has made landfall in the continental United States, making May 24, 2017, the end of a record 139 months without a major hurricane strike. Prior to this, the longest stretch on record in which a major hurricane did not hit the contintental United States, according to NOAA's records, was the 96 months between September 1860 and August 1869. NOAA has published data on all hurricanes striking the United States since 1851.

A "major hurricane" is defined as one that is Category 3 or above on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale, which means it has sustained wind speeds of more than 111 miles per hour and is capable of causing “devastating” or “catastrophic” damage. "For the upcoming Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 through November 30, forecasters predict a 45 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 35 percent chance of a near-norman season, and only a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season," NOAA says on its website. "Forecasters predict a 70 percent likelihood of 11 to 17 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher)," says NOAA, "of which 5 to 9 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 2 to 4 major hurricanes (Category 3, 4, or 5; winds of 111 mph or higher)." "An average season," said NOAA, "produces 12 named storms of which six become hurricanes, including three major hurricanes."

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/gage-cohen/139-months-last-major-hurricane-strike-impact-climate-change-questionable

waltky
06-27-2017, 11:18 PM
Record 140 Straight Month Stretch Without Major Hurricane Strike...
http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
NOAA: Record 140 Straight Months Without Major Hurricane Strike
June 26, 2017 | Saturday, June 24 marked the completion of a record 140 straight months since the last major hurricane made landfall in the continental United States, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The last major hurricane to hit the continental U.S. was Hurricane Wilma, which struck Florida on Oct. 24, 2005. According to NOAA, four major hurricanes hit the continental United States that year. They included Wilma, Rita, Katrina, and Dennis. But since Wilma, no Category 3 or above hurricane has made landfall in the continental United States, making June 24, 2017 the end of a record 140 months without a major hurricane strike.

http://www.cnsnews.com/s3/files/styles/content_100p/s3/hurricane-hugo.jpg?itok=YhW48nCT

Prior to this 140-month stretch without a major hurricane strike, the longest major hurricane drought was the 96 months between September 1860 and August 1869. NOAA has published data on all hurricanes striking the United States since the year 1851. A "major hurricane" is defined as one that is Category 3 or above on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale, which means it has sustained wind speeds of more than 111 miles per hour and is capable of causing damage that is “devastating” or “catastrophic.”

NOAA is currently predicting that an "above normal Atlantic hurricane season is likely for this year.” "For the upcoming Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 through November 30, forecasters predict a 45 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 35 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season," NOAA says on its website. "Forecasters predict a 70 percent likelihood of 11 to 17 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher)," says NOAA, "of which 5 to 9 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 2 to 4 major hurricanes (Category 3, 4, or 5; winds of 111 mph or higher)." "An average season," said NOAA, "produces 12 named storms of which six become hurricanes, including three major hurricanes."

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/gage-cohen/record-140-months-major-hurricane-strike-us