PDA

View Full Version : Is Meterology a Pseudo-Science?

Conley
08-29-2011, 01:24 AM
After this latest with Irene what do you all think?

MMC
08-29-2011, 07:04 AM
After this latest with Irene what do you all think?

Does punching Reporters in the Head Count? :D

Mister D
08-29-2011, 03:06 PM
I think weather forecasting is based on meteorology. They aren't the same thing. I might be wrong though. In nay case, the coverage was dreadful but did we expect anything less? The worse part is that they wouldn't do this if millions of morons weren't glued to their televisions sets. It's about ratings.

Conley
08-29-2011, 03:26 PM
I read that cable news's main way of getting ratings is by terrorizing senior citizens. I thought that summed it up quite well.

Mister D
08-29-2011, 03:34 PM
I read that cable news's main way of getting ratings is by terrorizing senior citizens. I thought that summed it up quite well.

Makes sense. That's how the Democrats get votes. ;D

Conley
08-29-2011, 03:43 PM

Makes sense. That's how the Democrats get votes. ;D

:D I'm not sure how the Dems convince anyone to vote for them...I thought their main strategy was just claiming ignorance and saying at least we're not Republicans.

Of course the GOP does it too with their Death Panel stuff. People shouldn't screw with the old timers, that's not cool. >:(

Pendragon
08-29-2011, 06:56 PM
The Republican party is just as guilty of using scare tactics on seniors. In fact, think about how 9/11 and terrorism was milked for eight straight years under George W. Bush, even though the WTC attack happened under his watch.

Furthermore meteorology is a science. Just like any other science it is not infallable.

wingrider
08-29-2011, 07:31 PM
The Republican party is just as guilty of using scare tactics on seniors. In fact, think about how 9/11 and terrorism was milked for eight straight years under George W. Bush, even though the WTC attack happened under his watch.

Furthermore meteorology is a science. Just like any other science it is not infallable.

cool a lefty admits that global warming science is fallable will wonders ever cease

Pendragon
08-29-2011, 07:38 PM

cool a lefty admits that global warming science is fallable will wonders ever cease

Certainly there is room for error in science. Typical P significance values leave a 5% chance or randomness in their evaluations.

As regards to Global Warming, I would suggest that it is about 99% certain that human emissions are having a deleterious effect on the Earth's atmosphere. There is a 1% chance that it is not. It is up to you whether to believe science or not. Somehow I peg you a creationist as well.

Conley
08-29-2011, 08:43 PM
99%, how do you figure? :D

Mister D
08-29-2011, 09:41 PM
99%, how do you figure? :D

Good question.

Pendragon
08-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Simple:

99 out of 100 climatologists agree with the theory of man made Global Warming.

wingrider
08-29-2011, 11:14 PM
30,000 Scientists Rejecting Anthropogenic Global Warming Hypothesis
May 19, 2008 — adc
Wow, – this kinda sounds like what I have been saying over and over. (emphasis mine)

…the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine (OISM) will announce that more than 31,000 scientists have signed a petition rejecting claims of human-caused global warming. The purpose of OISM’s Petition Project is to demonstrate that the claim of “settled science” and an overwhelming “consensus” in favor of the hypothesis of human-caused global warming and consequent climate damage is wrong. No such consensus or settled science exists. As indicated by the petition text and signatory list, a very large number of American scientists reject this hypothesis.

It is evident that 31,072 Americans with university degrees in science – including 9,021 PhDs, are not “a few.” Moreover, from the clear and strong petition statement that they have signed, it is evident that these 31,072 American scientists are not “skeptics.”

now what you got to say pen?

Mister D
08-30-2011, 07:48 AM
It's funny how liberals embrace science when they think it suits a political purpose.

Conley
08-30-2011, 09:04 AM
It's funny how liberals embrace science when they think it suits a political purpose.

When do liberals spurn science?

They seem to be fans of evolution as well...though some would argue that's not true science. There are gaps in the fossil record but I still believe it and have no problem reconciling it with my belief in God. Of course I wouldn't call myself a liberal either. ;D

Mister D
08-30-2011, 09:10 AM

They seem to be fans of evolution as well...though some would argue that's not true science. There are gaps in the fossil record but I still believe it and have no problem reconciling it with my belief in God. Of course I wouldn't call myself a liberal either. ;D

They find the heritability of intelligence, for example, disagreeable.

Conley
08-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Ah...that one doesn't get as much press as Climate Change ;)

Sometimes the truth hurts...

MMC
08-30-2011, 09:43 AM

Thats when you have them explain that little patch of dirt and where it came from..... >:D

Conley
08-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Dirt comes from mashed up rocks. Everyone knows that! >:D

MMC
08-30-2011, 10:17 AM

Oh yeah where do the rocks come from..... :D Or do I need specify soil. ;)

MMC
08-30-2011, 11:18 AM

Oh yeah where do the rocks come from..... :D Or do I need specify soil. ;)

Well whatever Science it is.....we got another one comin. >:(

Here Comes TS Katia.....

Tropical Depression 12 emerged in the far eastern Atlantic on Monday morning, and it's already forecast to strengthen into a strong hurricane within the next week. More immediately, the system likely will grow into Tropical Storm Katia early Tuesday. For now, the system is forecast to aim generally toward the Lesser Antilles. Some models hint that it might turn north out to sea without approaching the U.S. coast. However, it's too early to put faith in that prediction.
....snip~

http://icons-ecast.wunderground.com/data/images/at201112_5day.gif

http://icons-ecast.wunderground.com/data/images/at201112_ensmodel.gif

Lets hope it turns right.....oh more Economic Woes for the US. :(

Pendragon
08-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Those projections do not place the storm anywhere near the major population centers of the U.S.

After the mistaken predictions regarding Irene I would have thought that you would rein in your speculation.

MMC
08-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Those projections do not place the storm anywhere near the major population centers of the U.S.

After the mistaken predictions regarding Irene I would have thought that you would rein in your speculation.

Hey now I am just trying to Not panic the East Coast and CNN! :D ;D

Pendragon
08-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Your diligence is noteworthy.

MMC
08-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Your diligence is noteworthy.

Don't worry I will at least have the water coming up to my knees first before I give that on the report, scene. :D

Pendragon
08-30-2011, 01:14 PM
I would rather that you keep yourself and your family safe my friend. :)