PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk and watch olympics

Carygrant
07-24-2012, 02:55 AM
It's Time to Rock into London and find out that this little island is actually ground control for the whole planet .
We just want you to enjoy yourselves and watch a feast of remarkable performances from people who have dedicated themselves to some of the most worthwhile of human aspirations .
Tune in on our Friday evening 21.00 TV slot to be welcomed and hopefully well entertained .

Audience urged to save the surprise

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/TJHoeah5W6DeP0vrSck1vw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9Zml0O2g9Mjk-/http://l.yimg.com/os/251/2011/12/15/pa_165943.gif (http://www.pressassociation.com/)Press Association – 2 hours 42 minutes ago

Email (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/_xhr/mtf/panel/)
Print (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/audience-urged-save-surprise-050242473.html)

RELATED CONTENT

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/FZ8cnwQgJJgVYgA5rckrZQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MzMxO2NyPTE7Y3c9NTAwO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0xMjY7cT04NTt3PTE5MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_uk/News/pressass/UKNews240720120602496-1.jpgView Photo (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/photos/games-organisers-asked-people-were-technical-dress-rehearsal-photo-050242068.html)Games organisers asked people who were at a technical dress rehearsal to refrain …

Spectators who attended a sneak preview of the Olympic opening ceremony were urged not to spoil the surprise for the rest of the world by keeping details of the eagerly anticipated curtain raiser under wraps.

Games organisers asked thousands of people who were invited to a technical dress rehearsal of the £27 million spectacular to try and refrain from circulating any revealing pictures or videos taken inside the Olympic Stadium.

The ceremony's artistic director Danny Boyle reportedly addressed the audience and called on them to "save the surprise" ahead of Friday's showpiece by not posting any images on social networks.

The hashtag "#savethesurprise" was also emblazoned on giant screens inside the Olympic Stadium, according to people at the event, before trending globally on twitter.

Movie director Boyle and his creative team have done their best to keep details of the opening ceremony secret and it seemed that most spectators at Monday night's rehearsal followed their wishes by not revealing any of the show's big surprises. Many took to Twitter to show their support.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/uk-news/2012/07/24/audience-urged-to-save-the-surprise/
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/audience-urged-save-surprise-050242473.html

Trinnity
07-24-2012, 03:23 AM
Doesn't it start on the 27th? I think I read that was the date. Are you gonna be at any of the events. CG? Are the tickets expensive?

RollingWave
07-24-2012, 03:51 AM
Boooo, the Olympics removed Baseball and Softball, that's like half of our Olympic team from Taiwan!

Speaking of which, the USA's no longer quite as assured of winning the most medals as it has been before, China's increasingly giving them a strong run for their money. they finishd just 10 medals short of the US last time (with more Gold) . and traditional events that you did't think the Chinese had a chance in are increasingly being tested.

For us smaller country though, even 1 medal would be a huge thing, in 2004 we won gold medals for the first time like ever (and 2 of them for that matter) in Taekwondo and that was a huge huge thing.

honestly though Taekwondo is a shit event, matches are basically completely decided by the judges and outside of extremely one sided matches most the time you'll have a hard time telling the winner from the loser (and almost everyone in the circle agree tha the Koerans get a huge unfair edge because they're more Korean judges). but given the nature of that sport if you take off the gear someone's gonna get killed quite often.

Trinnity
07-24-2012, 03:56 AM
I like the gymnastics....that's a summer event, right?

RollingWave
07-24-2012, 03:59 AM
I like the gymnastics....that's a summer event, right?

I've always wonder why in events like Gymnastics or Figure skating the little girls seem to have a significant advantage over the grownups...

Trinnity
07-24-2012, 04:01 AM
Youth...still growing. Very flexible. That's all I can figure.

Carygrant
07-24-2012, 04:40 AM
Boooo, the Olympics removed Baseball and Softball, that's like half of our Olympic team from Taiwan!

Speaking of which, the USA's no longer quite as assured of winning the most medals as it has been before, China's increasingly giving them a strong run for their money. they finishd just 10 medals short of the US last time (with more Gold) . and traditional events that you did't think the Chinese had a chance in are increasingly being tested.

For us smaller country though, even 1 medal would be a huge thing, in 2004 we won gold medals for the first time like ever (and 2 of them for that matter) in Taekwondo and that was a huge huge thing.

honestly though Taekwondo is a shit event, matches are basically completely decided by the judges and outside of extremely one sided matches most the time you'll have a hard time telling the winner from the loser (and almost everyone in the circle agree tha the Koerans get a huge unfair edge because they're more Korean judges). but given the nature of that sport if you take off the gear someone's gonna get killed quite often.

A purist will probably tell you that judging performance by individual country medal count is wrong and removed from the Games ethos and spirit .
That seems reasonable .
I love to only talk in that general way in terms of medals per capita and I doubt the US will figure in the top 3 .

We will .
I think Georgia led for a long time in Bejing because on a population of around 4 million , they won two weight lifting Golds .
It's a performance guide only and arbitrarily you must only include countries with 10 million population or more to prevent huge results anomalies surfacing .
I thought they had introduced Handball for the first time here in London and I will betray my ignorance by saying there are insufficient differences between Hand and Soft Ball to warrant both being included .
As for Baseball . We consider that this is the game that we invented for women , but , -- like Americans -- far too insular in appeal to warrant inflicting on all grown up kids and adults .Outside of the silly US and one or two ambitionless Wannabeee glee clubs , nobody else is interested .
Personally I am against Football and Tennis being included but that is perhaps a separate topic and despite being a huge fan of both sports .

Carygrant
07-24-2012, 04:51 AM
Doesn't it start on the 27th? I think I read that was the date. Are you gonna be at any of the events. CG? Are the tickets expensive?

Yes .
Friday night it kicks off with the Opening Ceremony --- yesterday night's dress rehearsal prompted this topic -- thanks for fixing the links whilst I had breakfast .
The first medal will be decided on Saturday and we expect Gold in the Cycling in the Road Race -- either with Mark Cavendish , the world's sprint champion , or with Bradley Wiggins --- the world's greatest ever combined road and arena cyclist .
He won the greatest cycling endurance test last week -- the Tour de France --- a feat which Lance Armstrong did on seven occasions , making him into a living legend .
Unfortunately Armstrong has been judged a drug's Cheat over many years and court cases over this matter are still raging . Armstrong denies all charges , but he would . I try to keep an open mind .

I am a TV viewer this time around as my interests cover nearly every one of the 26 ( I think) different disciplines .

Carygrant
07-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Drug cheats have been under pressure for months

(reuters) - more than 100 athletes were caught doping and sanctioned in the months leading up to the london olympics (http://www.reuters.com/london-olympics-2012) in a drive to eliminate cheats before they reach the games, the world anti-doping agency (wada) said on tuesday.

Wada chief john fahey said testers had been out in force in an effort to discourage athletes from using performance-enhancing substances in london.

"in the six months prior to june 19, at least 107 athletes were sanctioned," fahey told an international olympic committee meeting.

"i cannot confirm how many of those would have qualified but had that been their ambition i am pleased to say they are not with us in london."

the games begin on friday and run until august 12 although the 'in-competition' testing period started with the opening of the athletes village and the official start of the olympic period on july 16.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/24/us-oly-dop-wada-adv-idusbre86n1b520120724

Peter1469
07-24-2012, 05:06 PM
I will catch what I can.

Captain Obvious
07-24-2012, 06:57 PM
The Olympics is a lot like the Rock and Roll hall of fame. Nice idea but a complete joke in practice.

We have rich kids who can afford to train day and night for competition. Virtually anyone here can be competitive in the Olympics if we had all the time in the world and zero cares for earning a living, supporting a family, making mortgage and car payments, etc.

Then who are they competing against? Teams like China who's athletes train under threat of intimidation and oppression if they fail.

Great sentiment.

Conley
07-24-2012, 08:49 PM
I've always wonder why in events like Gymnastics or Figure skating the little girls seem to have a significant advantage over the grownups...

Youth...still growing. Very flexible. That's all I can figure.

What Trin said, also strength to body weight ratio too

Conley
07-24-2012, 08:51 PM
The Olympics is a lot like the Rock and Roll hall of fame. Nice idea but a complete joke in practice.

We have rich kids who can afford to train day and night for competition. Virtually anyone here can be competitive in the Olympics if we had all the time in the world and zero cares for earning a living, supporting a family, making mortgage and car payments, etc.

Then who are they competing against? Teams like China who's athletes train under threat of intimidation and oppression if they fail.

Great sentiment.

It has become so commercial and having pro athletes in many sports ruins it too. Then there's the whole end of the Cold War...those were the days! :wink: CCCP, remember that shit?

wingrider
07-24-2012, 11:45 PM
I rather take a shot of hemlock than suffer through the olympics

Carygrant
07-25-2012, 02:39 AM
I will catch what I can.

Bad luck .
They have not yet included Fishing .

Carygrant
07-25-2012, 02:50 AM
[QUOTE=Captain Obvious;104006]The Olympics is a lot like the Rock and Roll hall of fame. Nice idea but a complete joke in practice.

We have rich kids who can afford to train day and night for competition. Virtually anyone here can be competitive in the Olympics if we had all the time in the world and zero cares for earning a living, supporting a family, making mortgage and car payments, etc.QUOTE

Why do you expect Sport to be any different from any other area of human involvement ?
Politics is Sport and vice versa .
However , the system these days is nowhere near as bad as it used to be , or as you seem to imagine .
In civilised places --- like Team GB --- we pick up kids with talent from a very early age and nurse them to the top with funds and every sort of reasonable advantage that helps them in their chosen area .
This is no different from Government initiatives to support other job areas -- be it Chemists , Doctors , Teachers , Whatever . The principle is identical .
The pay off from sport can be enormous , stretching from individual fulfilment , creation of role models , health improvement on a population basis and even a countries imagined Happiness quotient .
Plus Sport is the greatest diplomatic tool ever invented -- remember the US -- Iraq football match -- Americans were actually liked for a couple of days .

wingrider
07-25-2012, 05:31 AM
I knew that Iraq /American football game was a mistake. America doesn't need to be liked... She Who Must Be Obeyed is above that sort of pettiness

Peter1469
07-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Well Greece kicked out one of their athletes. http://news.yahoo.com/greece-expels-olympic-athlete-over-racist-tweets-133129950--oly.html?_esi=1

I think it has more to do with local Greek politics.....

RollingWave
07-26-2012, 12:50 AM
It has become so commercial and having pro athletes in many sports ruins it too. Then there's the whole end of the Cold War...those were the days! :wink: CCCP, remember that shit?

Although there are obviously some elements of commerialism in there that's iffy, but I'd think i generally take it over the ole Soviet teams or even worse the Nazi Germany teams ;)

RollingWave
07-26-2012, 12:54 AM
I knew that Iraq /American football game was a mistake. America doesn't need to be liked... She Who Must Be Obeyed is above that sort of pettiness

That's a pretty dangerous road to head down towards, what makes the US any different from Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan then if that is the prevailing attitude? Being liked by everyone is obviously impossible, not being hated by most should be generally doable (and in reality, profitable, any busniessmen will tell you that it's kinda hard to do busniess with folks that genuely dislike you.)

Carygrant
07-26-2012, 03:17 AM
Well Greece kicked out one of their athletes. http://news.yahoo.com/greece-expels-olympic-athlete-over-racist-tweets-133129950--oly.html?_esi=1

I think it has more to do with local Greek politics.....

I think you will find that 107 athletes have already been shown to have been involved in drug abuse leading up to the games and presumably in Hush Hush terms they have been told not to attend .
The Greek lass is a strange case and I would have censured and punished her but not banned her from taking part . More importantly ( except to that Greek lass ) nine athletes have now been named and shamed including the Moroccan 10, 000 woman's silver medallist at the World Championships .

Carygrant
07-26-2012, 03:21 AM
That's a pretty dangerous road to head down towards, what makes the US any different from Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan then if that is the prevailing attitude? Being liked by everyone is obviously impossible, not being hated by most should be generally doable (and in reality, profitable, any busniessmen will tell you that it's kinda hard to do busniess with folks that genuely dislike you.)

He was joking . Having a laugh!
I only spring to his support because our senses of humour now lean so heavily on the surreal , black and absurd . Irony and straight forward sarcasm are the poor man's diet here .
Causes difficulties with those who like a spade to be called a spade .And not a Wog . ( Sorry . Bad . )

Carygrant
07-26-2012, 11:01 AM
And Now this . Greece is really imploding ( Yahoo , Sport one hour ago )

Greek high jumper fails dope testGreece's world indoor high jump champion Dimitris Chondrokoukis has pulled out of the Olympics after testing positive for a banned substance.

Carygrant
07-27-2012, 07:35 PM
SCHEDULE TIMETABLE

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/olympics/schedule/ (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/olympics/schedule/)

Goldie Locks
07-27-2012, 07:40 PM
And Now this . Greece is really imploding ( Yahoo , Sport one hour ago )

Greek high jumper fails dope test

Greece's world indoor high jump champion Dimitris Chondrokoukis has pulled out of the Olympics after testing positive for a banned substance.

Guess since they invented the Olympics they think they can do whatever they want...;)

Carygrant
07-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Guess since they invented the Olympics they think they can do whatever they want...;)

Naughty little Greek peeps .
See Schedule for each sport for each day day over the full Games --- above your post

Goldie Locks
07-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Naughty little Greek peeps .
See Schedule for each sport for each day day over the full Games --- above your post

Yep, I saw it thanks!!!!

wingrider
07-28-2012, 06:21 PM
the United states has been on this road since the mid 50s.. eversince the overthrow of the Shah of iran .. and we keep getting deeper and deeper embroiled in the middle east,, we need to cut our losses, concentrate on domestic supplies and tell the middle east to drop dead.

Peter1469
07-28-2012, 07:57 PM
I think you will find that 107 athletes have already been shown to have been involved in drug abuse leading up to the games and presumably in Hush Hush terms they have been told not to attend .
The Greek lass is a strange case and I would have censured and punished her but not banned her from taking part . More importantly ( except to that Greek lass ) nine athletes have now been named and shamed including the Moroccan 10, 000 woman's silver medallist at the World Championships .

I would have spanked her..... :rollseyes:

Carygrant
07-29-2012, 03:14 AM
Being of unsound mind , I think I am developing a need to get hold of Hilary the Witch Bitch and do the same , but in ways which you might find alarming .

MMC
07-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Mr Grant.....what is up with all the hoopla about the Olympics and not being able to fill up seats to events there. Why is this dominating the news over there, a day after Romney left?

Peter1469
07-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Maybe people are worried about security...?

MMC
07-29-2012, 03:28 PM

:dontknow: They were talking about Sponsors and their ticket holders not getting their people to events. But then they had sections where volunteers were suppose to show up and take what seats they could. So that it wouldn't look so empty. Wonder what happened? :thinking:

Goldie Locks
07-29-2012, 08:24 PM

Maybe they all be broke.

Goldie Locks
07-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Women's gymnastics on now...go girls!!!!

Carygrant
07-30-2012, 01:51 AM
Assuming we are getting the truth , we have been caught in a dilemma .
All the tickets have been sold and seating gaps have actually been created by people not turning up -- and they are all sponsored guests of one sort or another .
Now everybody is running around proclaiming shock and horror and some sponsors are telling lots of Porky Pies .
Remember it is only day 3 today and yesterday was the obvious --- a Sunday .
I imagine all will be resolved quickly today and a rule will be agreed that after a certain time ( half or one hour) empty seats will be resold at minimum cost ( £10.00 perhaps).
If all is true , this scenario was near impossible to realistically forecast and if this is the worst thing to happen , the games will still go down as the most successfully ever organised and by a long way .

There could be the opportunity for fisticuffs if people turn up late for very good reasons and find their seats re-allocated .However , even officials can work something out for solving such scenarios -- like liquidating one of the involved parties and sending them on extreme rendition . We can put Mutt Romney in charge of that operation .

Carygrant
07-30-2012, 02:01 AM
Where have you Americans been as Ryan Lochte humbled Phelps and others? As Missy Franklin introduced herself and looked bionic and when France humbled the world in the 4x 100 metres relay men's final , beating a brilliant US squad and humbling an Australian squad that the press had named the Weapon of Mass Destruction ?
The swimming has been great and it has barely started .
Incidentally Phelps looked brilliant in that epic relay I mentioned . He swam second leg brilliantly and looks as though his genius is still there at the shorter distances . Lochte is far from invincible as an astonishing French guy showed in the final leg--- coming from behind in not his favourite distance .
As for the Diving . How do the Chinese keep churning out diving robots of such artistic brilliance?

Peter1469
07-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Where have you Americans been as Ryan Lochte humbled Phelps and others? As Missy Franklin introduced herself and looked bionic and when France humbled the world in the 4x 100 metres relay men's final , beating a brilliant US squad and humbling an Australian squad that the press had named the Weapon of Mass Destruction ?
Incidentally Phelps looked brilliant in that epic relay I mentioned . He swam second leg brilliantly and looks as though his genius is still there at the shorter distances . Lochte is far from invincible as an astonishing French guy showed in the final leg--- coming from behind in not his favourite distance .
As for the Diving . How do the Chinese keep churning out diving robots of such artistic brilliance?

A big problem for Americans is that the Games are not shown live. So I knew that Phelps lost before the event was shown on TV. I couldn't bring myself to watch.

Goldie Locks
07-30-2012, 08:09 PM

Because they have totalitarianism coaches who demand just training, rest, eat, training and nothing else from a young age. If that's what it takes to win, that is you're a servant of a commie nation who would want this???

RollingWave
07-31-2012, 02:18 AM
Amusingly, China is so dominating in some events nowadays that they're worried about those events being canceled due to it's uncompetitive nature.

Take Women's weight lifting for example, China pretty much dominates the lower weight classes to no end, but suprisingly they lost this year in the 58 kg class and more amusingly... the Gold winner representing Kazakstan is ummm... a Chinese girl they send over a few years ago. heh. apparently they're sending some atheletes to neighboring countries in events they dominate too such to create some mirage of international competitiveness.

As for Robotic training, if that's all it takes then China (and the USSR befoer that) should have long dominated each and every event, but they don't.

RollingWave
07-31-2012, 04:34 AM
wow, China's female 400 meter medley just set a new world record.... and get this... in the finale 50 meter lap Ye ShiWen swam faster than the male winner in the same event... :shocked:

no wonder accusation of doping went flying immediately, that's pretty unbelivable. though with the crazy amount of test they go through these days is that really possible? This isn't exactly the 70s and 80s anymore...

MMC
07-31-2012, 05:48 AM
Yeah it's really possible look at how they knocked that gymnist. What she didnt weigh but like 89lbs soak and went. But because she took something to keep weight off they disqualify her. Next they will kick someone out for the toothpaste they used.

Sychronized Swimming? Beach Volleyball? Whats next Crochet and Knitting? Not to mention all the Professional Athletes involved in these games now really makes it suck. First they werent suppose to be Poltical and now they have become so PC its ridiculous. Not to mention the more involvement of politics brought to the games thru the Media itself. Like CBS and NBC. Plus what was that :bullshit: with one of the Greatest things the UK is so proud about and then they say their Healthcare. Really? In all of Great Britains History and this is what they come up with. :rollseyes: Now tell me who isnt going political.

I see they also now will fill up all those empty seats with Students and the Military. :geez: Guess they will call it Olympic Duty. I do say ole boy, whats on the Shed-ule for the day. Well govenor, looks like the units will be guarding the seats in Aisle P and U at the Ribbon Twirling Contest. :laugh:

Carygrant
07-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Not a post up to your normal standard ,MMC --- IMHO .
The rules indicating banned practises and substances are clear . I am no expert in this area but most appetite suppressants , for example , contain amphetamines .
I believe your views on what types of sport should and should not be included are rather old fashioned . Both sports you mentioned have been included previously , very successfully and have huge followings . There is nothing PC whatsoever about constantly reviewing the Game's format to reflect modern trends in terms of attracting the widest possible audience .I think we should be interested in widening people's involvements and attention , and the arguments for getting rid of Height Freaks Basketball in its current restrictive format , for example , are far greater than the reasons for getting rid of Volleyball which has a vast following .
Your criticism of the Opening Ceremony style and format is very much a minority view and rather suggests you have not grasped the themes employed in an event which was a towering artistic success by a huge consensus . Nor the reasons behind the chosen format . Most critics felt that the Opening Ceremony as an event was the greatest ever seen and in different ways outshone the Bejing exercise of just throwing money at it -- brilliant though that was in its much narrower context .
As for empty seats : It is part of the Games contract that 15% of seats are made available to IOC discretion , the various International Sports Federations and Sponsors .
All seats have been allocated correctly and as required .
It is to our credit that by Day 3 we responded to shame these various receivers of subsequent "Free" unused seats and have devised new practises to make sure that the vast bulk of them are -re -allocated to the general public .Not free to students and the military --- but first come , first served , on the Internet each evening and to the general public .

MMC
07-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Sorry Mr Grant.....I should have thrown up the Smilie Rant there. You are right about Basketball. I think that needs to be removed from the Olympics. Synchronized Swimming Dancing too. Really I have never been into the summer games to much. Is it true that you guys are getting a lot of Rain too? That the UK is breaking records on their rainfall this year?

Goldie Locks
07-31-2012, 03:01 PM
American women win GOLD in gymnastic team comp.!!!!

Peter1469
07-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Phelps got a medal. Tied for all time 1st place. He just needs one more!

Goldie Locks
07-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Phelps got a medal. Tied for all time 1st place. He just needs one more!

Hope he gets it, I think he will as he still has 2 of his favorite events left.

Carygrant
07-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Phelps led every inch until the push at the end . Lost by five hundredths of a second . Separately Missy Franklin is a precocious talent and seems a nice bubbly young lady . She has big star written all over her .
Women's Gymnastics was great but we are overjoyed by coming third in the Men's event and only losing the silver on a Japanese protest -- a fair one by common consent . We have not won a team medal for one hundred years . There is a renaissance in Gymnastics over here because we reached the women's team final and finished fifth from memory .

to MMC particularly .
Yes , the summer here is a disaster . We had drought ( literally) through the winter but it has not stopped raining since April . Fortunately the London area is much better rain wise than the bulk of the country , and it is mostly OK weather with occasional showers -- some heavy .
They talk about the Jet Stream path having changed . Yet Kiev and Moscow are sweltering and we know your position and the effects it is having on cereal crops , for example .
The Handball ( new event) looks fantastic . What a great game --- played it in Germany as a kid in summer holidays , before you lot were born . Could now become huge internationally . We have put a scratch team together but are not yet ready to play any of the big teams . Great to watch -- much better than Basket ball and I say that objectively and not just to pursue my life ambition to keep annoying you .

MMC
07-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Is that handball played in a room or out doors on a court? Also I hope they aren't using rackets and calling it handball. Actually the top Handball players are in Prison.

Now theres a match made in Heaven. An Olympian vs a Prisoner of the State. :laugh:

Peter1469
07-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Phelps got another medal. World record. He has 3 more events.

MMC
07-31-2012, 05:00 PM
Overall Medal Count

Rank
Country
Gold
Silver
Bronze
Total

China (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/china/)

United States (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/united-states/)

Japan (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/japan/)

France (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/france/)

South Korea (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/south-korea/)

Italy (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/italy/)

Russia (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/russia/)

Germany (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/germany/)

roadmaster
07-31-2012, 05:05 PM
I don't watch them because the time we get to watch it our news station already puts the results.

Peter1469
07-31-2012, 06:58 PM
I don't watch them because the time we get to watch it our news station already puts the results.

Yes, that is a big problem

Goldie Locks
07-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Well at least so far we're tied with the commies.

MMC
07-31-2012, 07:34 PM
That didnt count today basketball game between the US and Tunisa. The Announcer was like this is the first time tunisa is in the Olympics but they have a great pride, national pride in BB. :rollseyes: I was like :wtf20:

Trinnity
07-31-2012, 08:12 PM
Michael Phelps becomes most-decorated Olympianhttp://www.wbaltv.com/olympics/Michael-Phelps-becomes-most-decorated-Olympian/-/15412612/15883460/-/13ywx4f/-/index.html

Goldie Locks
07-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Meanwhile they are trying to fill the seats with the British Military.

RollingWave
07-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Meanwhile they are trying to fill the seats with the British Military.

Too bad they downsized them so that would be a slight problem ;)

Carygrant
08-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Is that handball played in a room or out doors on a court? Also I hope they aren't using rackets and calling it handball. Actually the top Handball players are in Prison.

Now theres a match made in Heaven. An Olympian vs a Prisoner of the State. :laugh:

Jesus . Make a firm date to watch it .
It will blow you away .So fast and action packed .It knocks the spots of Basketball --- seen one basket and you have seen the next one hundred --- which is now so formula ridden and restricted to guys over seven foot height --- slight exaggeration .
I think it will be many times more globally successful than Volleyball which itself is a very OK sport .

Carygrant
08-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Too bad they downsized them so that would be a slight problem ;)

Shame that such untrue nonsense is being printed and aired .
All returns from the IOC , Sports Federations and Sponsors are being re-sold to the public each day on a first come , first served basis .
It's great that this historical Games problem is at long last solved and by the British .

Cigar
08-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Michael Phelps becomes most-decorated Olympian

http://www.wbaltv.com/olympics/Michael-Phelps-becomes-most-decorated-Olympian/-/15412612/15883460/-/13ywx4f/-/index.html

“Congrats to Michael Phelps for breaking the all-time Olympic medal record,” @BarackObama (tweeted) to @MichaelPhelps. “You’ve made your country proud. –bo” :afro:

With a silver medal in the 200-meter butterfly and a gold in the 800 freestyle relay on Tuesday, Phelps increased his medal haul to 19, one more than the former Soviet gymnast Larisa Latynina.

He replied, “Thank you Mr. President!! It’s an honor representing the USA!! The best country in the world!!” :grin:

MMC
08-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Jesus . Make a firm date to watch it .
It will blow you away .So fast and action packed .It knocks the spots of Basketball --- seen one basket and you have seen the next one hundred --- which is now so formula ridden and restricted to guys over seven foot height --- slight exaggeration .
I think it will be many times more globally successful than Volleyball which itself is a very OK sport .

Yeah I don't mind the VolleyBall really.....either one actually. Beach or The Standard. Plus I think Tennis should be removed although I don't know if they have it in there this year. I know i like to watch the ladies grunt and swet too. But No need to put the Professionals up in there. Course boxing is another that I can watch with the Olympics. Have you seen any thing coming up out there that might go on to affect the World of Boxing? Like Maybe some Good heavyweights and welters coming up?

Carygrant
08-01-2012, 02:20 PM
. Course boxing is another that I can watch with the Olympics. Have you seen any thing coming up out there that might go on to affect the World of Boxing? Like Maybe some Good heavyweights and welters coming up?

I also cannot find a case for including Tennis and also Football which is essentially an Under 23 competition .
Shocking admission -- I wager hugely on top Professional Boxing but know little about the Amateur scene in any detail.
What is certain is that we have made huge strides forward in the last decade and this is our best squad ever and by a long way in depth . See below for a few lines of comment

The 10-strong men and women's team were rewarded for their progress over the last couple of years with five byes to the next round.The three men who started in the first round - Anthony Ogogo, Fred Evans and Josh Taylor - all won to join the seeded Thomas Stalker, Luke Campbell, Andrew Selby and Anthony Joshua in the last 16.
So far, Britain has had no fallers in the boxing and confidence in the camp could not be higher.
I am assured that Josh Taylor is very decent and I know that several medals are expected .
Their target for London 2012 is to match the three medals they achieved in Beijing and they are well on course to beat that.
They have justified the funding they have received since Amir Khan was the sole British representative at Athens in 2004.
Their dream is to try and emulate their best post-war Games performance of 1956 when they won two gold, one silver and two bronze at Melbourne to finish second in the boxing table.
Captain Stalker, Campbell, Selby, Joshua, Savannah Marshall and Nicola Adams are all well capable of emulating gold medallists Terry Spinks and Dick McTaggart from 56 years ago.

Note Nicola Adams . We do expect HER to probably win Gold . First Olympics for women !!!!

Carygrant
08-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Anthony Joshua narrowly beat a useful Cuban ranked world number four in the last half an hour . Anthony looks a good prospect but is very young (22) and still looks raw .
He's got a hard fight in the quarter finals against a Chinese lad who won a silver medal in Bejing .
Could go all the way but Anthony could be bustled out by an older fighter with solid ring experience . Against that he's around 198 cms and therefore should be able to out jab anyone .
Interesting prospect . But a winning final is a big ask . .

Goldie Locks
08-01-2012, 06:50 PM
I have not got to watch nearly as much of the Olympics as I have wanted and feel I have missed so much. I used to watch nearly all of it and now just don't have the time. I have caught up on some from "On Demand", but just not enough time in the day.

MMC
08-02-2012, 03:58 PM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/Sports/gty_phelps_mr_120802_wg.jpg

Phelps wins 20th Gold Medal and beats out Lockte in the 200 Medley. :flag:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/olympics/usa-olympics-team-london-games-phelps-wins-20th/story?id=16916005

Carygrant
08-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Still love Missy Franklin .

MMC
08-02-2012, 04:13 PM
More history was made when 22-year-old American Kayla Harrison defeated Britain's Gemma Gibbons for the first U.S. gold medal in judo. Harrison, who had been sexually abused for years by a former coach, thanked her "hero," coach Jimmy Pedro, who won bronze medals in the 1996 and 2004 Olympics.

In women's gymnastics, 16-year-old Gabby Douglas took the all-around title, becoming the first African American Olympic all-around champion and continuing an American winning streak in the event dating back to 2004.

In tennis, Serena Williams handily defeated the Dane Caroline Wozniaki in two sets, 6-0, 6-3, advancing to the semifinals, where she will face Victoria Azarenka of Belarus.
Williams will compete in the women's doubles event with her sister Venus.....snip~

http://www.movieguys.org/wp-content/uploads/holmes-and-watson1.jpg

Not to good a Day for the OLD Empire Holmes. If I do say so Myself.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4843542659072301&pid=1.7&w=177&h=154&c=7&rs=1 http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4932950989997105&pid=1.7&w=88&h=139&c=7&rs=1

Care for a Spot of Earl Grey to go with that kerchief.....Mr Grant? :grin:

Carygrant
08-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Not to good a Day for the OLD Empire Holmes. If I do say so Myself.

The Old Empire has moved up from 21st to 14th to 11th to 5th in the the simple Table results .
It seems we now have at least 50% more medals than the US have , once population totals are adjusted .
I feel sure that the US can find something extra , but qualitatively results continue to drift downwards for you .
You must try and keep up to speed , MMC . Don't let your comparative poor national performance detract from your once strong past and make you fearful for your future .
We can send you some of our smarter coaches
And beaten up cars .

MMC
08-02-2012, 04:42 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/imgml/flags/s/USA.pngUnited States (http://thepoliticalforums.com/team-usa/medals/index.html?etx=2012-medals)

See names (http://thepoliticalforums.com/team-usa/medals/index.html?etx=medals&etx2=2012-medalists)

http://thepoliticalforums.com/imgml/flags/s/CHN.pngChina (http://thepoliticalforums.com/nations/nation=china/index.html?etx=medals&etx2=2012-medals)

See names (http://thepoliticalforums.com/nations/nation=china/index.html?etx=medals&etx2=2012-medalists)

http://thepoliticalforums.com/imgml/flags/s/JPN.pngJapan (http://thepoliticalforums.com/nations/nation=japan/index.html?etx=medals&etx2=2012-medals)

See names (http://thepoliticalforums.com/nations/nation=japan/index.html?etx=medals&etx2=2012-medalists)

http://thepoliticalforums.com/imgml/flags/s/GER.pngGermany (http://thepoliticalforums.com/nations/nation=germany/index.html?etx=medals&etx2=2012-medals)

See names (http://thepoliticalforums.com/nations/nation=germany/index.html?etx=medals&etx2=2012-medalists)

http://thepoliticalforums.com/imgml/flags/s/RUS.pngRussia (http://thepoliticalforums.com/nations/nation=russia/index.html?etx=medals&etx2=2012-medals)

See names (http://thepoliticalforums.com/nations/nation=russia/index.html?etx=medals&etx2=2012-medalists)

Even by population Mr Grant and thru the numbers. GB and it's athletes can't even compare. Not even Close in Comparison with Americans. Sponsorship has a lot to due with it.

Carygrant
08-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Even by population Mr Grant and thru the numbers. GB and it's athletes can't even compare. Not even Close in Comparison with Americans. Sponsorship has a lot to due with it.

You are so far behind , I wonder if I would be better off talking to my cat Lord Benny again .
Are you restricted to radio or do you have means of getting pictures on the same day ?
As I said -- we are Fifth in the world and 50% more than the US head for head ? ( We have moved into August over here )
I can give you Berlin 1936 results if they have not come through yet . Himmler shot Owens at the 80 metre mark .

MMC
08-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Mr Grant.....I can even throw up the Stats from the UK. It changes nothing. Moreover this is the first Olympics where the women Athletes out number the men. At least for the US that is. I would say it the same for many Countries.

Like I said before.....with some of these so called sports. IMO it has lessened the impact of Sports. As now some can call anything they like a Sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzcXTiVd5gE

Although I am for Dodgeball being brought into the Olympics. As I hear it the Brits are one of Best at Dodging. Time for them to meet those who don't miss their Marks! :wink: :laugh:

Carygrant
08-03-2012, 12:57 AM
It seems that things are going so badly for the US that you have lost the plot .
Now you imply that the Games has been devalued by the increasing numbers of women present .
Is that their fault ? What is the swap ratio in the US market currently -- one man for 1.559 women ? A distraction from the falling dollar , perhaps ?
Then you further distance yourself from the rest of the planet by telling us how Sports need to be re- categorised in line with the MCC formula .
Those that America do OK in --- Good . Those which Americans can neither understand or feel too shy to play--- Very bad .
You need to take stock . Baseball is for adult school kids who have not really moved on from Rounders and Basketball is only for Height Freaks who can drop a ball through a suspended hoop .
Meanwhile , the rest of the world has moved on .
Be honest . Your kids are too fat and lazy .
I expect you will next be resigning from the Olympic movement because you have lost top spot .

MMC
08-03-2012, 02:54 AM
Yes Mr Grant.....I sure would hate to see them start to bring boardgames into the Olympics. To classify them as a Sport. Moreover don't cry to me about bringing more women into the Olymipics. That was soley a European Theory which they managed to implement all under the Auspices to get more to just tune in and watch the Olympics. Something that the Liberal Ideology wanted to make whole.

Do you think they should have looked at Media Coverage and how such would be brought to you by?

Sure baseball and basketball can be knocked. Course if the UK had something other than Soccer, Golf, Cricket, and Croquet as Official Sports. They might not be laughed about so much.

I see you have fallen into the trap of Watching Liberal MS media when it concerns the theory on whether most Americans are fat and lazy. You should look into it in a bit more detail than just taking it from the Liberal left as fact.

Carygrant
08-03-2012, 11:23 AM
They already cater for the so called "Board Games' except the annual World Championship Olympiad is under the banner of Mind Sports .
They started in 1997 and not surprisingly there have been no American medal winners yet .
But my goodness , ten of the fifteen champions have come from Team GB .
Nobody is laughing at our Sports record because we are the world's leading country . We are already outperforming the US on a medals per capita basis with a running rate some 50% ahead . This is par performance to see the US trailing in our wake .
And yes you are the most obese nation on earth , unless you wish to offer the greatest mind numbing defence ever --- that the people behind the WHO figures are all cranky Liberals who cheat when producing their reports . Is that your claim ?
MCC what is wrong with you ? Have you been dosing on those Pork Pies again ?

MMC
08-03-2012, 11:59 AM
They already cater for the so called "Board Games' except the annual World Championship Olympiad is under the banner of Mind Sports .
They started in 1997 and not surprisingly there have been no American medal winners yet .
But my goodness , ten of the fifteen champions have come from Team GB .
Nobody is laughing at our Sports record because we are the world's leading country . We are already outperforming the US on a medals per capita basis with a running rate some 50% ahead . This is par performance to see the US trailing in our wake .
And yes you are the most obese nation on earth , unless you wish to offer the greatest mind numbing defence ever --- that the people behind the WHO figures are all cranky Liberals who cheat when producing their reports . Is that your claim ?
MCC what is wrong with you ? Have you been dosing on those Pork Pies again ?

According to whats out there now I see Britain managed to pull itself up to 5th place in Medals. That should give ya something to Rah Rah about Mr. Grant. You know Hip Hip and Cheeri-O, and all that. Congrads to the good Ole boyz finally making a showing in the money for a change.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4955589742626321&pid=1.7&w=187&h=148&c=7&rs=1

Mr Grant.....

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=I5063062712945165&pid=1.7&w=177&h=149&c=7&rs=1 http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=I5014568242382660&pid=1.7&w=150&h=149&c=7&rs=1

It's Twinnings!

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=I5018257618700718&pid=1.7&w=208&h=122&c=7&rs=1

Crumpet?

Now where was I.....oh yes. Well Truthfully you could see how I wouldn't expect any type of Medals in Ping-Pong, Shoots-n-Ladders, Shuffleboard, and or Twister. I wouldn't expect any Americans to even win a bronze medal. As these are games that the Europeans excel at. Course as always I would expect Britain to always win the Gold.....in Bedknobs and Broomsticks. http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/smilies/newsmilies/evil6.gif

Yet in comparison with the issue of Obesity.....perhaps you can explain that Big Boned Squared Jaw Hepher that Britian threw up there For the Ms Universe Title. :cya20:

Carygrant
08-03-2012, 01:43 PM
MCC , Well , we are third now on Golds and all medals and per capita are well over 300% ahead of the US .
Dominating Cycling , Rowing and probably Sailing --- all iron men disciplines .And our women are just as good .
Land of Hope and Glory .
Tootle Pip .

Carygrant
08-03-2012, 06:23 PM
What is genuinely concerning is seeing the eclipse of Russia and the US .
It seems like just yesterday that the US and Russia dominated the medals tables .
Russia is now down in 11 th place and poor old America has become a one trick pony with an amazing 65% of all of their medals coming from the Swimming Pool .

There are 26 Olympic disciplines and so far it appears that the US is outstanding in one but fairly average -- if not useless -- in the other 25 .
Too many fat waist lines perhaps?

MMC
08-03-2012, 06:50 PM

Great Britain (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/great-britain/)

Australia (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/australia/)

12.....snip~ :rollseyes:.....:laugh:.....Been hitting that Cooking Sherry again, eh Mr Grant! :wink:

Goldie Locks
08-03-2012, 06:56 PM

Great Britain (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/great-britain/)

Australia (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/australia/)

12.....snip~ :rollseyes:.....:laugh:.....Been hitting that Cooking Sherry again, eh Mr Grant! :wink:

Keep it going!!!! Go USA!!!!

MMC
08-03-2012, 07:25 PM
LONDON (AP) -- American teenager Missy Franklin (http://thepoliticalforums.com/olympics/london-2012/swimming/missy-franklin-1132902/) set a world record in the 200 backstroke Friday for her third gold and fourth medal overall at the London Olympics.
Franklin clocked 2 minutes, 4.06 seconds, 0.75 quicker than the mark set by Kirsty Coventry (http://thepoliticalforums.com/olympics/london-2012/swimming/kirsty-coventry-1080945/) of Zimbabwe (http://thepoliticalforums.com/olympics/london-2012/zimbabwe/) at the 2009 world championships in Rome in a now-banned bodysuit.....snip~

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/franklin-sets-world-record-win-184344557--oly.html
The Associated Press – 5 hours ago<<<<<

LONDON (AP) -- Michael Phelps (http://thepoliticalforums.com/olympics/london-2012/swimming/michael-phelps-1131796/;_ylt=AjA26dv1E40cSdw5Mbb05nBhNe1_;_ylu=X3oDMTFycH RwNmxkBG1pdANBUlRJQ0xFIEFydGljbGUgQm9keQRwb3MDMQRz ZWMDTWVkaWFBcnRpY2xlQm9keUFzc2VtYmx5;_ylg=X3oDMTNn NHZpOGc0BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDYzEyNT E1YWYtZTExNC0zNWE5LWJlMTgtOTM4MGZiZmUwNDc0BHBzdGNh dANtb3JlfGxvbmRvbjIwMTJzdW1tZXJvbHltcGljcwRwdANzdG 9yeXBhZ2U-;_ylv=3) won the 100-meter butterfly at the London Games on Friday for the record 17th gold and 21st medal overall in his Olympic career.

MMC
08-03-2012, 07:46 PM
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/jWLEeTJuSntZpmq64dImRQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MTkxNztjcj0xO2N3PTM3Njk7ZHg9MD tkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTMyMTtxPTg1O3c9NjMw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/a7e79483a3c72115170f6a706700c6b3.jpg

:shocked:.....that girl has got some Leg Muscles. :grin:

Goldie Locks
08-03-2012, 07:59 PM
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/jWLEeTJuSntZpmq64dImRQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MTkxNztjcj0xO2N3PTM3Njk7ZHg9MD tkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTMyMTtxPTg1O3c9NjMw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/a7e79483a3c72115170f6a706700c6b3.jpg

:shocked:.....that girl has got some Leg Muscles. :grin:

Trust me they all do. I have done gymnastics for at least 25 years. My daughter was a collegiate gymnast. What they can do is unbelievable. The most grueling sport in sport...bar none.

MMC
08-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Trust me they all do. I have done gymnastics for at least 25 years. My daughter was a collegiate gymnast. What they can do is unbelievable. The most grueling sport in sport...bar none.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLY45ZZGU38&amp;feature=related
Hungarion version.

Yeah my brother dated a gymnast. Back then he never complained about his Sex life. :laugh:

Carygrant
08-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Keep it going!!!! Go USA!!!!

The proverbial has not yet dropped .
Team GB pro rated to the US has something like 110 medals . The US results have nose dived hugely .

In fact , their performance has been abysmal outside of the Swimming Pool .More than 65% of medals from the pool , " nothing" elsewhere . Disciplines like Boxing , where US past performance has been considerable , have now reached depths which nobody ever dreamed they would plunge to .
Example ----Every US Boxer save one has been sent home . Their one remaining contestant managed to scrape to the quarter final , despite losing his bout , until his opponent was judged to have wrongly gained in a technical area and had his score adjusted --- probably following a typical US whine and stamping of feet .
It is the start of a new area as the old guard slip away --- the Russia Gold performance borders on the unbelievable . Or the lack of it , to be more precise .

MMC
08-04-2012, 07:47 AM
http://l.yimg.com/dh/ap/default/120804/pistorius1.jpg

The Man known as the Blade-Runner. Makes it to the Semi Finals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pistorius-makes-semifinals-olympic-400-094840467--oly.html

MMC
08-04-2012, 11:47 AM
http://l.yimg.com/dh/ap/default/120803/gabby.jpg http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/snkbkkqo9Be9gyB1_Y6RDg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusolyexperts/AzXfdzRCYAA-M1s.jpg_large.jpg

Where will you see Olympic all-around champion Gabby Douglas next? In your grocery store cereal aisle. Douglas will appear on the cover of Corn Flakes boxes.....snip~

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/gabby-douglas-adorn-cornflakes-boxes-145544816--oly.html

Thas Right.....Corn Fed Girl. Not Crumpets. :wink:

MMC
08-04-2012, 12:04 PM
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/aEkwnmnByKD1wr1r_3DrQQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTExMztweW9mZj0wO3E9OD U7dz0xNTA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2012-08-04T151954Z_480807036_TB3E88416KSM0_RTRMADP_3_OLY-TENN-TEWSIN-TEW001101.JPG

Serena Williams crushes Sharapova to win gold (http://thepoliticalforums.com/photos/olympics-serena-williams-defeats-maria-sharapova-in-olympic-final-slideshow/;_ylt=AqafRupCOKv2dW4TvjQeAEZIAuh_;_ylu=X3oDMTRzMz Y5NHFjBG1pdANPTFlNUElDUyBGZWF0dXJlZCBQaG90byBHYWxs ZXJpZXMgSG9tZQRwa2cDZGUzNGRkYjctMzA4ZC0zZmQ3LWIyMj EtNDQyNzQ2NGNkYzg4BHBvcwMyBHNlYwNNZWRpYUZlYXR1cmVk Q2Fyb3VzZWwEdmVyAzA5NjA1MTUyLWRlNTEtMTFlMS1hYWZmLW RiZDA1ZTNkZTQ2Mg--;_ylg=X3oDMTNkaXB2aGxsBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDYTQyMmZlMzMtMGE4Yy0zODgzLTgxZDUtNTk1YTBjYj I3MDAzBHBzdGNhdANvbHltcGljc3xmb3VydGgtcGxhY2VtZWRh bARwdANzdG9yeXBhZ2U-;_ylv=3)

Uh oh.....some more GOLD that won't be falling into those greedy European hands. :grin:

Although CL won't like it that his Sexy Tennis Star got beats by the Amazon Williams. :cry:

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4987853565657866&pid=1.7&w=219&h=153&c=7&rs=1

No Data, I don't need the Statistics.....The Brits have lost Wimbledon Forever! :biglaugh:

Carygrant
08-04-2012, 01:06 PM
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/aEkwnmnByKD1wr1r_3DrQQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTExMztweW9mZj0wO3E9OD U7dz0xNTA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2012-08-04T151954Z_480807036_TB3E88416KSM0_RTRMADP_3_OLY-TENN-TEWSIN-TEW001101.JPG

Serena Williams crushes Sharapova to win gold (http://thepoliticalforums.com/photos/olympics-serena-williams-defeats-maria-sharapova-in-olympic-final-slideshow/;_ylt=AqafRupCOKv2dW4TvjQeAEZIAuh_;_ylu=X3oDMTRzMz Y5NHFjBG1pdANPTFlNUElDUyBGZWF0dXJlZCBQaG90byBHYWxs ZXJpZXMgSG9tZQRwa2cDZGUzNGRkYjctMzA4ZC0zZmQ3LWIyMj EtNDQyNzQ2NGNkYzg4BHBvcwMyBHNlYwNNZWRpYUZlYXR1cmVk Q2Fyb3VzZWwEdmVyAzA5NjA1MTUyLWRlNTEtMTFlMS1hYWZmLW RiZDA1ZTNkZTQ2Mg--;_ylg=X3oDMTNkaXB2aGxsBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDYTQyMmZlMzMtMGE4Yy0zODgzLTgxZDUtNTk1YTBjYj I3MDAzBHBzdGNhdANvbHltcGljc3xmb3VydGgtcGxhY2VtZWRh bARwdANzdG9yeXBhZ2U-;_ylv=3)

It was a remarkable performance by Serena . Crushing the nominal world number one in devastating fashion .
I picked up a not inconsiderable sum from Andy beating Djokovic yesterday -- looked a tremendous value for money bet if you follow Tennis in detail .I am letting it roll for the final , because Roger peaked at Wimbledon , has not been at his best throughout this Wimbledon repeat and expended too much physical and emotional energy in defeating Del Potro . I am sticking my neck out , but it's a free wager .

MMC
08-04-2012, 01:23 PM
It was a remarkable performance by Serena . Crushing the nominal world number one in devastating fashion .
I picked up a not inconsiderable sum from Andy beating Djokovic yesterday -- looked a tremendous value for money bet if you follow Tennis in detail .I am letting it roll for the final , because Roger peaked at Wimbledon , has not been at his best throughout this Wimbledon repeat and expended too much physical and emotional energy in defeating Del Potro . I am sticking my neck out , but it's a free wager .

Did you happen to see the footage on the Saudi Arabian Girl that competed in Judo and lost in 82 seconds. She was so proud to be out there just to compete. Happy with her family and everything. Even had to deal with her own nerves over the situation.

What i don't like hearing is how she will return home and be ostracized and even may be taken to Court on this. Despite Abdullah Granting the Law to Allow her to go and compete. Plus she had to worry about the Hijab coming off and all that would entail if it did. She really has a whole lot to deal with going back to Saudi Arabia. But it was truly grand to see the Emotions Pouring out of her face. Even knowing she lost and that others were Cheering her on!

I just hope they do not hurt her in any way shape or form.

Carygrant
08-04-2012, 01:41 PM
These stories of small emerging countries are wonderful .
Many are tragic but that's the way things evolve .
But did you read the story of Kit Collins --- in his time a wonderful top 200 metre performer ?
Sent home by St Kitts and Nevis for visiting his wife during curfew!!

MMC
08-04-2012, 01:50 PM
:geez:.....even stopping a Married couple from seeing one another?! :facepalm:

Captain Obvious
08-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Since I have zero interest in the Olympics, I've avoided this thread considering I wouldn't be participating in it to any productive extent, but I just saw this pic somewhere and thought it was fairly cool:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-p4A-_LCwZC0/UB5z6I-Y4VI/AAAAAAABjhQ/q_4NBfG8M3o/s1600/copyrightviolation.jpg