PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Life-Size Lion Statues Baffle Scientists

Mister D
07-26-2012, 10:30 AM
It's interesting that lions used to roam the Mid East only a few thousand years ago.

Snip

"The sculptors certainly knew what lions looked like," Summers told LiveScience in an interview. He said that both archaeological and ancient written records indicate that the Asiatic lion, now extinct in Turkey, was still very much around, some even being kept by the Hittites in pits.

http://news.yahoo.com/ancient-life-size-lion-statues-baffle-scientists-175738865.html

MMC
07-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Nice find.....shame they keep dynamiting sites like these thinking there is treasure in the statues. Surprising it makes Turkey Papers Daily. While I believe they roamed in that region.

I don't know if I can go with the hypothesis on that they weren't meant to be plaed near Water. The one place he is talking about did not have Statues created as the marker for Water. Even tho Statues of lions were put there while under construction

RollingWave
07-26-2012, 12:43 PM
that is not exactly news, when written records first started appearing in China they recorded Rhinos for example. another example, North Africa use to have indeginous elephants and lions too, but the elephants died out in Roman times while the Lions managed to last all the way till the late 19th C.

Mister D
07-26-2012, 12:51 PM
that is not exactly news, when written records first started appearing in China they recorded Rhinos for example. another example, North Africa use to have indeginous elephants and lions too, but the elephants died out in Roman times while the Lions managed to last all the way till the late 19th C.

I didn't say it was news. There has long been abundant evidence of the presence of lions in the Mid East (e.g. Assyrian reliefs depicting hunting scenes). I said it was interesting. The article caught my eye.

MMC
07-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I don't think it is a question of if they were. Seems to this day all the Big Cats are being reduced to nothing. Especially the Tiger in the East. I think they were saying there is less than 3300 of them left out in the Wild. Don't know how true that Stat is tho.

Saw a Commercial the other night.....something about Adopting a Tiger. Think they catch them by the tail?

URF8
08-05-2012, 01:56 PM
This thread makes me think of the story of Daniel in the Lion's Den in Babylonia.

MMC
08-05-2012, 02:22 PM
This thread makes me think of the story of Daniel in the Lion's Den in Babylonia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SbS7euzWgA

Hmmmm.....and here I was thinking more along the lines of this. :tongue: