PDA

View Full Version : SAfrica: Black farmers sell farms back to whites

Mister D
09-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Hopefully, the South African government will learn from the mistakes of the past. IOW, don't be so quick to throw the white man under the bus. He's the bus driver!

JOHANNESBURG -- South Africa's minister of land reform says black farmers have resold nearly 30 percent of the white farmland bought for them by the government - often back to the previous white owners.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/08/31/general-af-south-africa-land-reform_8651982.html

MMC
09-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Hopefully, the South African government will learn from the mistakes of the past. IOW, don't be so quick to throw the white man under the bus. He's the bus driver!

JOHANNESBURG -- South Africa's minister of land reform says black farmers have resold nearly 30 percent of the white farmland bought for them by the government - often back to the previous white owners.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/08/31/general-af-south-africa-land-reform_8651982.html

Wow 30% back to the owners who had it from the get go. I will bet some of the owners are in the government to. Robber Barons?

Mister D
09-01-2011, 11:10 AM

Wow 30% back to the owners who had it from the get go. I will bet some of the owners are in the government to. Robber Barons?

The problem is that the new owners couldn't run the farms successfully.

MMC
09-01-2011, 11:44 AM

What do you think is all included in the meaning of lack of support? Government support? Lack of public support?

Mister D
09-01-2011, 11:47 AM

What do you think is all included in the meaning of lack of support? Government support? Lack of public support?

I'm not sure. I take it to mean gross incompetence.

MMC
09-01-2011, 12:39 PM

Well when I said public support, I mean like being able to hire people to work them. Irrigation means, tools, and Equipment. Animals, etc etc.

Mister D
09-01-2011, 12:42 PM

Well when I said public support, I mean like being able to hire people to work them. Irrigation means, tools, and Equipment. Animals, etc etc.

I'd imagine that skilled manpower and know how is very limited.

MMC
09-01-2011, 01:36 PM

I thought thats where the US NFP's come in and the likes of Peace Corp. Teach then how to dig wells and irrgation techniques. How to farm and take care of animals. Which would be with approval of South Africa's Government.....right? Which means then they do not have to provide any assitance except in maybe rare cases.

Mister D
09-01-2011, 01:40 PM

I thought thats where the US NFP's come in and the likes of Peace Corp. Teach then how to dig wells and irrgation techniques. How to farm and take care of animals. Which would be with approval of South Africa's Government.....right? Which means then they do not have to provide any assitance except in maybe rare cases.

At the end of the day I guess the new owners simply couldn't make the farms profitable. This also happened in Rhodesia and other places.

MMC
09-01-2011, 01:49 PM

At the end of the day I guess the new owners simply couldn't make the farms profitable. This also happened in Rhodesia and other places.

Yeah Kenya was another.....

Mister D
09-01-2011, 02:24 PM

Yeah Kenya was another.....

true.