PDA

View Full Version : Liberia's 'Planet of the Apes' chimps facing starvation

Peter1469
07-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Liberia's 'Planet of the Apes' chimps facing starvation (http://news.yahoo.com/liberias-planet-apes-chimps-facing-starvation-061700825.html;_ylt=AwrXgCP7fKJVd24AHQPQtDMD;_ylu= X3oDMTByM3V1YTVuBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMzBHZ0aWQDBHNlYw Nzcg--)
66 chimps were released on an island near Liberia- retired from a research lab. People would take a boat to the Island with food at a cost of $30,000 per month (that also includes care (undefined)). The organization that was funding this project is ending its relationship and Humane Society of the US is scrambling to find new funding.

The Liberia Biomedical Research Institute (LBRI) entered into an agreement with the NYBC in 1974 to carry out research in a lab about 65 kilometres (40 miles) southeast of Monrovia, capturing or buying the chimpanzees.

The research project had gained a world class reputation in the field of viral infections, particularly hepatitis, by the time it ended and the NYBC appeared to make a commitment to the chimps in retirement as a reward for their contribution.

NYBC director Alfred Prince wrote in the American Society of Primatologists Bulletin in 2005 that Monkey Island was to become "a dedicated full-time sanctuary".

sachem
07-12-2015, 05:04 PM
There is a moral obligation to take care of them. I would hate to see them put down.

Peter1469
07-12-2015, 05:06 PM
The Human Society is looking for money.

sachem
07-12-2015, 05:09 PM
The Human Society is looking for money.I'll donate but I don't have the full 30 grand.

GrassrootsConservative
07-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Just put them on Welfare with the rest of those that can't feed themselves.

Peter1469
07-12-2015, 05:35 PM
I'll donate but I don't have the full 30 grand.

That is just for one month. These chimps will likely live years longer.

sachem
07-12-2015, 05:37 PM
That is just for one month. These chimps will likely live years longer.You can take a month.

sachem
07-12-2015, 05:41 PM
Just put them on Welfare with the rest of those that can't feed themselves.
They are on welfare. Some want to stop it.

Dr. Who
07-12-2015, 06:07 PM
Liberia's 'Planet of the Apes' chimps facing starvation (http://news.yahoo.com/liberias-planet-apes-chimps-facing-starvation-061700825.html;_ylt=AwrXgCP7fKJVd24AHQPQtDMD;_ylu= X3oDMTByM3V1YTVuBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMzBHZ0aWQDBHNlYw Nzcg--)

66 chimps were released on an island near Liberia- retired from a research lab. People would take a boat to the Island with food at a cost of $30,000 per month (that also includes care (undefined)). The organization that was funding this project is ending its relationship and Humane Society of the US is scrambling to find new funding.
Why were they put on an island that has no natural sources of food or water? That is not sustainable, especially if NYBC doesn't restore funding for their care. Perhaps there are other primate facilities around the world that might take them?

Peter1469
07-12-2015, 06:09 PM
The article doesn't go into detail. I expect they had to be someplace with no predators.

Dr. Who
07-12-2015, 06:21 PM
The article doesn't go into detail. I expect they had to be someplace with no predators.
I think there is a reason for the lack of predators - nothing but insects can live there without any source of fresh water.

whatukno
07-12-2015, 06:38 PM
Why were they put on an island that has no natural sources of food or water? That is not sustainable, especially if NYBC doesn't restore funding for their care. Perhaps there are other primate facilities around the world that might take them?

Actually that was what I was thinking, why the fuck do you put primates that can't swim on an island that doesn't have the natural resources to sustain them?

Perhaps you put them in their natural habitat where they can find food and water on their own and don't have to rely on people to help them survive. I'm sorry if this seems conservative, but this is basic animal conservation. It's like putting a billionaire with a coke habit in the middle of Detroit without his credit cards and expecting him to do well. It doesn't work that way.

Dr. Who
07-12-2015, 06:57 PM
Actually that was what I was thinking, why the fuck do you put primates that can't swim on an island that doesn't have the natural resources to sustain them?

Perhaps you put them in their natural habitat where they can find food and water on their own and don't have to rely on people to help them survive. I'm sorry if this seems conservative, but this is basic animal conservation. It's like putting a billionaire with a coke habit in the middle of Detroit without his credit cards and expecting him to do well. It doesn't work that way.
It's basically an expensive zoo enclosure. I understand that these chimps don't know how to fend for themselves, but they would learn if they were somewhere where there was at least something growing that they could eat. There couldn't be predators or other chimp groups because they are quite territorial and the wild chimps would kill them. That said, there are primate facilities around the planet or perhaps even an island somewhere that is more suitable.

Peter1469
07-12-2015, 07:06 PM
I think there is a reason for the lack of predators - nothing but insects can live there without any source of fresh water.

There is fresh water, just not year round.

Dr. Who
07-12-2015, 07:10 PM
There is fresh water, just not year round.
That is small comfort. The island is still unsuitable as a sustainable habitat. If even bad weather delayed their shipments of food, the poor things could starve for days if not weeks.

Peter1469
07-12-2015, 07:12 PM
I don't know why that specific spot was picked.