PDA

View Full Version : Go Set A Watchman

PolWatch
07-18-2015, 06:28 AM
I have read Harper Lee's new (old) book and had a chance to think about it. The early reviews said that Atticus Finch is a racist....how doya like them apples? Well, as someone who lives less than 100 miles from Monroeville, AL and as one who lived through the times this book discusses, it ain't that easy an explanation.

This book captures the essence of small town Alabama in the early 60's in a way that no one else can. I can smell the honeysuckle and hear the squeak of the chain on the porch swing. Sorry if I sound snobbish but no one who has not lived in the area can really create the aura. Some actors try to fake a southern accent that only makes me want to cringe because its so phony. Harper Lee's accent is genuine.

Since this book was written before To Kill A Mockingbird, there is no way it could have been created to reflect current events.....but it does. Early reviews said that Atticus had attended a Klan meeting....but that is incorrect. He attended a Citizens Council meeting. Sound familiar? That was the forerunner of the Council of Conservative Citizens. Yeap, the same group that has received recent publicity thanks to Dylann Roof. Do we need any more proof that Harper Lee's writing is timeless?

I won't write a spoiler for anyone who plans on reading the book. I will say that it openly discusses the situation of the era. Race has never been an easy subject in the south. The book talks about the SCOTUS rulings of the time and its relationship to the Constitution. It deals with right & wrong and the difficulty that reality brings to change. The amazing thing is how relevant to today this book is.

I think this one is worth reading.

The Sage of Main Street
07-18-2015, 01:40 PM
I have read Harper Lee's new (old) book and had a chance to think about it. The early reviews said that Atticus Finch is a racist....how doya like them apples? Well, as someone who lives less than 100 miles from Monroeville, AL and as one who lived through the times this book discusses, it ain't that easy an explanation.

This book captures the essence of small town Alabama in the early 60's in a way that no one else can. I can smell the honeysuckle and hear the squeak of the chain on the porch swing. Sorry if I sound snobbish but no one who has not lived in the area can really create the aura. Some actors try to fake a southern accent that only makes me want to cringe because its so phony. Harper Lee's accent is genuine.

Since this book was written before To Kill A Mockingbird, there is no way it could have been created to reflect current events.....but it does. Early reviews said that Atticus had attended a Klan meeting....but that is incorrect. He attended a Citizens Council meeting. Sound familiar? That was the forerunner of the Council of Conservative Citizens. Yeap, the same group that has received recent publicity thanks to Dylann Roof. Do we need any more proof that Harper Lee's writing is timeless?

I won't write a spoiler for anyone who plans on reading the book. I will say that it openly discusses the situation of the era. Race has never been an easy subject in the south. The book talks about the SCOTUS rulings of the time and its relationship to the Constitution. It deals with right & wrong and the difficulty that reality brings to change. The amazing thing is how relevant to today this book is.

I think this one is worth reading. The 19th Century Populist leader, Tom Watson, started out sympathetic towards Blacks but then became disenchanted with them. Instead, Liberal dupes claim he became cynical and power-hungry. As far as Atticus, I don't see why defending an innocent man necessarily has anything to do with what he thought of the man's race.

Chris
07-18-2015, 01:54 PM

Thanks! I'll start chapter 2 tonight.

PolWatch
07-18-2015, 02:00 PM
Chris - have you read the James Lee Burke novel yet?

Vilifier of Zombies
07-18-2015, 02:06 PM

When I think of Alabama -I think of fucked up -break your ankles drop zones, chiggars, humidity in August, sweltering exhaustive environmental racism, Hee Haw, and next level BBQ -sweet baby back ribs.

Chris
07-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Chris - have you read the James Lee Burke novel yet?

No, set it aside and haven't returned to it. :(

PolWatch
07-18-2015, 02:17 PM
When I think of Alabama -I think of fucked up -break your ankles drop zones, chiggars, humidity in August, sweltering exhaustive environmental racism, Hee Haw, and next level BBQ -sweet baby back ribs.

you have forgotten one very important trait....its one of the reasons there is a repub majority in Congress now. Ya'll have to be nice, whether ya want to or not. :wink:

Vilifier of Zombies
07-18-2015, 09:40 PM
you have forgotten one very important trait....its one of the reasons there is a repub majority in Congress now. Ya'll have to be nice, whether ya want to or not. :wink:

You're certainly not confusing campaign money and resources vs electioneering vs the rule of thumb regarding the Midterms, fundamentalism wrought from overreach, and that Alabama makes the top 5 dumbest state's list with why there is a Republican majority in Congress with having to be nice. Congress is still stunted from stark polarized idealism -some on the left and a bunch on the right. No matter what though -Federal campaigns have fuck all to do with the state of affairs in Alabama.

When Ohio State and Ole Miss whooped Alabama or Mississippi State, the Aggies, and the Badgers pushed Auburn's shit in -the United States was better for it the same way when the Duck's dicked Florida State.

The point is -we don't have to be nice whether you think we ought to or not.

Mister D
07-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Ah, Vilifier is back. We argued quite a bit but I remember he is a tea drinker. :smiley:

Vilifier of Zombies
07-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Ah, Vilifier is back. We argued quite a bit but I remember he is a tea drinker. :smiley:

That's right. I still drink lapsang souchong w/ Red Label. Had it not been for you, I wouldn't have ever known about it.

PolWatch
07-19-2015, 12:23 AM
You're certainly not confusing campaign money and resources vs electioneering vs the rule of thumb regarding the Midterms, fundamentalism wrought from overreach, and that Alabama makes the top 5 dumbest state's list with why there is a Republican majority in Congress with having to be nice. Congress is still stunted from stark polarized idealism -some on the left and a bunch on the right. No matter what though -Federal campaigns have fuck all to do with the state of affairs in Alabama.

When Ohio State and Ole Miss whooped Alabama or Mississippi State, the Aggies, and the Badgers pushed Auburn's shit in -the United States was better for it the same way when the Duck's dicked Florida State.

The point is -we don't have to be nice whether you think we ought to or not.

Irony, dear, irony. 'top 5 dumbest state's list' include the solidly red, southern states....now instrumental in providing the republican party with their most reliable voting block. Years of disdain for the south has turned into high regard for conservative voters.

Vilifier of Zombies
07-19-2015, 01:09 AM
Irony, dear, irony. 'top 5 dumbest state's list' include the solidly red, southern states....now instrumental in providing the republican party with their most reliable voting block. Years of disdain for the south has turned into high regard for conservative voters.

The Southern states are red states. Not unlike a status quo. It's not an all of a sudden game changer. Alabama's GOP voting base having been kept dumbed down has been a standard for sometime now. If the South weren't thought of as dummies, they might be held in a higher regard. That they are thought of as dummies -they're not. Appealing to spite, fear, and hate doesn't favor Alabama -it hinders it.