PDA

View Full Version : Ancient bone box might point to biblical home of Caiaphas

Mister D
09-01-2011, 03:45 PM
An ancient burial box recovered from antiquities looters three years ago contains a mysterious inscription that could reveal the home of the family of the figure Caiaphas, who is infamous for his involvement in the biblical story of the crucifixion of Jesus.

The burial box, also called an ossuary, was discovered in 1990, but the inscription was just recently verified as legitimate (and not the result of forgers trying to increase an artifact's value) by Yuval Goren of Tel Aviv University and Boaz Zissu of Bar Ilan University. The box is made of limestone, is covered in decorative rosettes and has an inscription.

In the Bible story of Jesus' crucifixion, a Jewish high priest named Caiaphas is said to have organized the plot to kill Jesus.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44347890/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/ancient-ossuary-may-reveal-home-caiaphas/?gt1=43001

Conley
09-01-2011, 03:56 PM
An MSNBC link ??? ;)

On a serious note this does sound exciting...I wonder where this discovery will lead. There is such a world of looters, forgers and characters in archaeology. A few years ago I read a really interesting account of an Egyptian archaeologist who had quite an interesting story. I think it was in the New Yorker. I'll hunt around for it.

Conley
09-01-2011, 04:10 PM
It was about Zahi Hawass...looks like the article is protected but I may be able to find it elsewhere if you are interested.

Conley
09-01-2011, 04:15 PM
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BwZ8Q-N9B0BCMWNkNzQ2MTctYzdjZi00ZGU1LTg2ZGYtOTAwYjU0MjAx YTRm&hl=en

Mister D
09-01-2011, 05:31 PM
It was about Zahi Hawass...looks like the article is protected but I may be able to find it elsewhere if you are interested.

Zahi Hawass was the head of Egyptian Antiquities (or something like that) for the Mubarak government. He was and is on television all the time.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Mister D
09-01-2011, 05:34 PM
An MSNBC link ??? ;)

On a serious note this does sound exciting...I wonder where this discovery will lead. There is such a world of looters, forgers and characters in archaeology. A few years ago I read a really interesting account of an Egyptian archaeologist who had quite an interesting story. I think it was in the New Yorker. I'll hunt around for it.

I was wondering how they would spin this against Bush. :D Seriously, not all of their stories suck. ;)

Conley
09-01-2011, 06:17 PM

Zahi Hawass was the head of Egyptian Antiquities (or something like that) for the Mubarak government. He was and is on television all the time.

Yeah he is on Nat Geo and stuff all the time. He has quite a healthy ego. :D

Mister D
09-01-2011, 06:22 PM

Yeah he is on Nat Geo and stuff all the time. He has quite a healthy ego. :D

That show Chasing Mummies made him look pretty bad but I've always liked him. IMO, he brings a lot of life and enthusiasm to the study of ancient Egypt.

Conley
09-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I have always thought that stuff was fascinating but like you said he is probably great for the field and has made a lot of younger people get into it who might not otherwise be.

Mister D
09-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I have always thought that stuff was fascinating but like you said he is probably great for the field and has made a lot of younger people get into it who might not otherwise be.

Exactly. His enthusiasm is infectious.

Conley
09-01-2011, 07:14 PM

He almost makes up for the bomb that was the 4th Indiana Jones movie...that probably killed the dreams of a lot of children who wanted to become archaeologists!

Mister D
09-01-2011, 07:47 PM

He almost makes up for the bomb that was the 4th Indiana Jones movie...that probably killed the dreams of a lot of children who wanted to become archaeologists!

Was there a 4th Indy movie? ??? :D I thought there were three.

I wanted to be an archaeologist after seeing that and a shark fisherman after I saw Jaws. ::)

Conley
09-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Yeah, actually I shouldn't dog it because I didn't see it, but I think it was the Crystal Skull or something like that.

Never saw Jaws either but if I did I don't think I'd want to be anywhere near the water!

Mister D
09-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Yeah, actually I shouldn't dog it because I didn't see it, but I think it was the Crystal Skull or something like that.

Never saw Jaws either but if I did I don't think I'd want to be anywhere near the water!

WHAT!? ??? :o You never saw Jaws?

Conley
09-01-2011, 08:26 PM
:D

I know. I have some serious gaps in my movie history. Some of those older movies are just so cheesy. I should give Jaws a shot though -- it's hard to get a good sense of a flick watching it on cable with all the commercials.

Mister D
09-01-2011, 08:43 PM

I know. I have some serious gaps in my movie history. Some of those older movies are just so cheesy. I should give Jaws a shot though -- it's hard to get a good sense of a flick watching it on cable with all the commercials.

Jaws is one of my favorites. That and the first two Godfathers. You remind me of another friend of mine who until recently had not seen the Godfather. Ridiculous... ::)

Conley
09-01-2011, 08:49 PM

Jaws is one of my favorites. That and the first two Godfathers. You remind me of another friend of mine who until recently had not seen the Godfather. Ridiculous... ::)

:D Yep that's another one...I lived a very sheltered life for many years.

Conley
09-01-2011, 08:50 PM
My girl couldn't believe I hadn't see The Natural, Field of Dreams, and Shawshank Redemption. I watched all three with her. Meh. ;)

Mister D
09-01-2011, 08:51 PM

:D Yep that's another one...I lived a very sheltered life for many years.

Well, you're going to have one awesome weekend when you get around to it. All the Clint westerns, Jaws and then the Godfathers? :o :o

Mister D
09-01-2011, 08:52 PM
My girl couldn't believe I hadn't see The Natural, Field of Dreams, and Shawshank Redemption. I watched all three with her. Meh. ;)

I liked Shawshank. I thought that was a good story. That's saying something because I'm not a bog film fan.

Conley
09-01-2011, 08:54 PM

I liked Shawshank. I thought that was a good story. That's saying something because I'm not a bog film fan.

It was alright, I liked the book better and already knew the story so that probably took some of the fun out of it. Also the narration is a bit cheesy. But yeah it's not bad.

Mister D
09-01-2011, 09:19 PM

It was alright, I liked the book better and already knew the story so that probably took some of the fun out of it. Also the narration is a bit cheesy. But yeah it's not bad.

Oh, I didn't know it was a novel. Same title? Who wrote it?

Conley
09-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Really? Stephen King

Check it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rita_Hayworth_and_Shawshank_Redemption

Mister D
09-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Really?

Steven King

Check it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rita_Hayworth_and_Shawshank_Redemption

No shit? Wow. I don't remember if I ever heard this before.

Conley
09-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Yep, it's a good story but obviously once you know the plot it's not quite the same. Some of King's early works were really entertaining (at least for me as a kid) before he started churning out pulp.

MMC
09-01-2011, 11:06 PM
I like the way Zahi explains some things.....but truthfully he is also one of the ones that does all he can to prevent others to looking into certin discoveries that have been made. Also he is in oppositon to Robert Bauval who has brought out more on the Egyptian Code. Aka the Egyptian Timeline. Which they also now believe times out with 2012. Bauval had some other Archeologist who Zahi cannot get along with.

Can't think of the this Egyptians Name but he is the one that showed what happened to the other Pyramid that use to be there at Giza. Noting that it was infact the Romans who took it down.

wingrider
09-01-2011, 11:36 PM
if this ossuary is authentic and it really is the burial box of Ciaphas, it lends a lot of credence to the gospels.. thanks for posting this

Mister D
09-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Yep, it's a good story but obviously once you know the plot it's not quite the same. Some of King's early works were really entertaining (at least for me as a kid) before he started churning out pulp.

In my experience, the film rarely equals the novel.

Mister D
09-02-2011, 08:55 AM
if this ossuary is authentic and it really is the burial box of Ciaphas, it lends a lot of credence to the gospels.. thanks for posting this

No problem. I like reading the latest news in archaeology; biblical or otherwise.