PDA

View Full Version : Big night tonight

Captain Obvious
08-05-2012, 05:17 PM
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/us/mars/index.html

Goldie Locks
08-05-2012, 05:23 PM
What's terrifying about it? It's a machine.

Trinnity
08-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Oh yeah....looking forward to seeing this!

Goldie Locks
08-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Will this really help us out of the deplorable condition we are in?....NO

Shoot the Goose
08-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Gotta respect the efforts made by all who have a hand in this. Can't do much but hope at this point, as that baby is going down easy, or going down hard.

They will be on pins and needles waiting for whatever the series of signals are that it has landed successfully, and working as intended.

Gonna boast a little bit too. My Dad's name is on Mars. Been there for 36 years, ever since Viking I. All the engineers at Martin Marietta (now Lockheed-Martin) had their names micro-enscribed on it before they closed it up and launched it. Some day I expect a ticket from the Martans for littering. Al least, I hope that is all they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMdC45S79uQ

Goldie Locks
08-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Gotta respect the efforts made by all who have a hand in this. Can't do much but hope at this point, as that baby is going down easy, or going down hard.

They will be on pins and needles waiting for whatever the series of signals are that it has landed successfully, and working as intended.

Gonna boast a little bit too. My Dad's name is on Mars. Been there for 36 years, ever since Viking I. All the engineers at Martin Marietta (now Lockheed-Martin) had their names micro-enscribed on it before they closed it up and launched it. Some day I expect a ticket from the Martans for littering. Al least, I hope that is all they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMdC45S79uQ

That's cool!!!!

Captain Obvious
08-05-2012, 06:06 PM
This is a fairly sophisticated piece of equipment landing tonight. Big as a Cooper Mini from what I understand.

URF8
08-06-2012, 02:06 AM
The roads are crumbling where I live. Kids can't read with proficiency. This landing doesn't mean much to me.

Captain Obvious
08-06-2012, 06:03 AM
Landing successful.

Captain Obvious
08-06-2012, 06:39 AM
First images - kinda like those sonogram pics, they're kinda sucky and you spend more time trying to figure out what the fuck is in there.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/

Peter1469
08-06-2012, 07:49 AM
This is the most significant thing NASA has done since Neil and Buzz landed on the moon. Exploration and the science that goes with it will lead to lasting advances for humanity more than a new road in someones town or a social welfare program to keep people under control.

wingrider
08-06-2012, 11:22 AM
too bad our space program is over and China is now taking the lead though

Shoot the Goose
08-06-2012, 12:02 PM
This is the most significant thing NASA has done since Neil and Buzz landed on the moon. Exploration and the science that goes with it will lead to lasting advances for humanity more than a new road in someones town or a social welfare program to keep people under control.

Heck, tip of the hat to NASA. We're about the only ones who can land something on Mars as planned. That this thing went without a hitch is quite a feat. Rube Goldberg would be proud ;)

MMC
08-06-2012, 02:27 PM
too bad our space program is over and China is now taking the lead though

Yeah.....they said the same thing about their Navy. Hows that working out? Do you think the reason for all those Gold Vending machines they have thrown out there, that China needs Gold? :wink: When they can Land sombody on the moon. Then they can start to catch the Tiger by the Tail. :grin:

Captain Obvious
08-06-2012, 05:10 PM
It's going to fall on the shoulders of private industry.

How infuriated the fringe left must be.

Peter1469
08-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Near Earth orbit is going to private industry as it should. The government needs to push on towards a moon base, then Mars, then beyond.

Captain Obvious
08-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Near Earth orbit is going to private industry as it should. The government needs to push on towards a moon base, then Mars, then beyond.

We've established one with Pelosi.

wingrider
08-07-2012, 12:17 AM
We've established one with Pelosi.
ummm cap he said moon base .. not moon bat