PDA

View Full Version : Why This Forum Has Been Renamed

IMPress Polly
08-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Hello all!

I'm the one who proposed that we rename The Gaming Room instead The Geek Out Zone. The purpose of so doing was/is to expand the range of topics covered by this forum. Henceforth, in addition to the understood subjects of video games, card games, and table top games, this forum will also encompass topics relating to things like anime, comic books, cosplay, etc. I thought it made sense to do so since there's a considerable amount of overlap between the fan bases for all these different things; between the various sections of geek culture.

Just wanted to make sure everyone understood the full range of subject options now open for discussion in this forum. Happy posting! :smiley:

Common
08-09-2015, 02:10 PM
I think the new name is better also Polly :)

The Xl
08-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Well done Polly. I think it was a great idea.

Redrose
08-09-2015, 02:15 PM
I like it, thanks.

McCool
08-09-2015, 07:19 PM
The name has more sizzle to it. Nicely done, IMPress Polly

Captain Obvious
08-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Bane lives

The Xl
08-09-2015, 08:15 PM
bane lives
r
a
s
i
n
s

Captain Obvious
08-09-2015, 08:54 PM
What's "cosplay" btw?

Is that like Bill Cosby slipping mickeys?

IMPress Polly
08-10-2015, 05:26 AM
Captain Obvious wrote:
What's "cosplay" btw?

Oh dear God, no! :laugh: Should've known you'd have some kind of sick sexual reference to throw in there.

It means costume play, as in making your own (generally very detailed) costumes of characters from anime, comic books, and video games. It's a well-known part of geek culture. You see it all the time and anime and comic book convention and public gaming events. There are magazines about it now. It's a pretty big thing.

PolWatch
08-10-2015, 06:26 AM
Oh dear God, no! :laugh: Should've known you'd have some kind of sick sexual reference to throw in there.

It means costume play, as in making your own (generally very detailed) costumes of characters from anime, comic books, and video games. It's a well-known part of geek culture. You see it all the time and anime and comic book convention and public gaming events. There are magazines about it now. It's a pretty big thing.

thanx! I have seen people in costumes at conventions (Star Trek, etc) and didn't realize there was a name for that. I learn something everyday!

exotix
08-10-2015, 07:37 AM
'If you wanna be .... a spaz or a geek ... then jump the hell off ... you crazy little freak'

http://i57.tinypic.com/2cr0nyf.gif

Captain Obvious
08-10-2015, 08:06 AM

LARPing

Hal Jordan
08-10-2015, 09:21 AM
What's "cosplay" btw?

Here's a Cosby cosplay just for you.

https://www.superfunnyimages.com/images/3123acf50f_Bill-Cosby-Cosplay.jpg

The Xl
08-10-2015, 09:49 AM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/56388054.jpg

IMPress Polly
08-10-2015, 11:26 AM
PolWatch wrote:
thanx! I have seen people in costumes at conventions (Star Trek, etc) and didn't realize there was a name for that. I learn something everyday!

Glad I could be of service. :grin:

Captain Obvious wrote:
LARPing

Live-action role-playing is part of the cosplay culture for sure, but I definitely wouldn't say that all cosplayers are LARPers. HOWEVER...maybe we should actually add LARPing to this forum's subtext because that's another big part of geek culture that I didn't specify earlier.

CreepyOldDude
08-10-2015, 01:01 PM
Glad I could be of service. :grin:

Live-action role-playing is part of the cosplay culture for sure, but I definitely wouldn't say that all cosplayers are LARPers. HOWEVER...maybe we should actually add LARPing to this forum's subtext because that's another big part of geek culture that I didn't specify earlier.

I don't know. I can deal with everything else, but LARPers? You can't trust the evil little shits. :)

IMPress Polly
08-10-2015, 05:30 PM
lol!

Cthulhu
08-11-2015, 02:51 AM
I don't know. I can deal with everything else, but LARPers? You can't trust the evil little $#@!s. :)
Yeah, I can dig some weirdness, but larping is just too far off the reservation for me.

I'll stick with the pen and paper table top stuff for maximum weirdness.

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.