PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Ties to Libya Closer Than Previously Believed

Pendragon
09-03-2011, 06:25 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44381105/ns/world_news-the_new_york_times/

Documents found at the abandoned office of Libya’s former spymaster appear to provide new details of the close relations the Central Intelligence Agency shared with the Libyan intelligence service — most notably suggesting that the Americans sent terrorism suspects at least eight times for questioning in Libya despite that country’s reputation for torture.

Although it has been known that Western intelligence services began cooperating with Libya after it abandoned its program to build unconventional weapons in 2004, the files left behind as Tripoli fell to rebels show that the cooperation was much more extensive than generally known with both the C.I.A. and its British equivalent, MI-6.

You will all see if you choose to read the article more evidence that the U.S. and Libya are in bed together in all manner of ways.

Conley
09-03-2011, 06:29 PM
So how long until Libya is run by Al-Queda? Are they supporting the rebels? I can't imagine they're going to be too friendly with NATO and the West after all this evidence keeps pouring out. They are just using our military forces to dump G. and once he's gone we'll be shown the door. Will this be the new Afghanistan, granting asylum to A.Q.? All of this because of the French. ::) ::) ::)

Mister D
09-03-2011, 08:19 PM
This Obama sure is a hypocrite. Why did you vote for him, Pen? ???

Pendragon
09-03-2011, 08:21 PM

How is this Obama's doing?

Pendragon
09-03-2011, 08:23 PM
This was during George W. Bush's time as President

More evidence of the CIA using Libya to torture suspects

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/sep/03/cia-libya-terror-suspect-renditions

The CIA worked closely with Muammar Gaddafi's intelligence services in the rendition of terrorist suspects including Abdel-Hakim Belhaj, the rebel commander in Tripoli, according to documents found in Tripoli.

The documents, found in the offices of the former head of Libyan intelligence Musa Kusa, also show that MI6 gave Gaddafi's regime information on Libyan dissidents living in the UK.

The files, uncovered by Human Rights Watch, provide details of the close relationship between western intelligence services, including MI6 and the CIA, and the ousted dictator's regime.

Two documents from March 2004 appear to be American correspondence to Libyan officials to arrange the rendition of Belhaj, the former leader of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, a now-dissolved militant group with links to al-Qaida.

Pendragon
09-04-2011, 07:00 PM

Nothing but silence from our resident partisan.

Mister D
09-04-2011, 07:04 PM

Could you cite some of my partisan posts and explain why they are partisan?

I didn't say it was Obama's doing. I am saying it's hypocritical to speak of "hope and change" and then revert to business as usual. But I didn't vote for him and even if I had I wouldn't compound my error by voting for more bombs and mayhem in 2012. ;)

Conley
09-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Hey now, don't sell Obama short. Deciding to start a war without congressional approval was a pretty big change!

Pendragon
09-04-2011, 07:30 PM

I didn't say it was Obama's doing. I am saying it's hypocritical to speak of "hope and change" and then revert to business as usual. But I didn't vote for him and even if I had I wouldn't compound my error by voting for more bombs and mayhem in 2012. ;)

Your constant bashing of our President shows how partisan you truly are. There is no need to search your post history, I can demonstrate such merely by quoting your most recent spouting of bile.

Obama has been hamstrung by a Republican congress but even so has done much to change 'business as usual'. Furthermore, if you believe that Perry or Flying-Spaghetti-Monster forbid, Bachmann could do a better job with the mounting problems America faces then you are even more delusional than previously believed .

Mister D
09-04-2011, 07:37 PM

Your constant bashing of our President shows how partisan you truly are. There is no need to search your post history, I can demonstrate such merely by quoting your most recent spouting of bile.

Obama has been hamstrung by a Republican congress but even so has done much to change 'business as usual'. Furthermore, if you believe that Perry or Flying-Spaghetti-Monster forbid, Bachmann could do a better job with the mounting problems America faces then you are even more delusional than previously believed .

The GOP Congress forced Obama's hand in Libya? Really, Pen? Ah, so the hope and change hasn't been made manifest because of the GOP. :roflmao: No, you're not a partisan at all! What wrong can BO do?

Pendragon
09-04-2011, 07:43 PM
No, you are mixing apples and oranges.

The Republicans caused the debt crisis, the downgrade, and have hamstrung the economy.

Those are the real issues facing Americans today, not this nonsense about whether or not we should assist in operations being conducted by our allies in Libya (which by the way, we should).

Mister D
09-04-2011, 07:46 PM
No, you are mixing apples and oranges.

The Republicans caused the debt crisis, the downgrade, and have hamstrung the economy.

Those are the real issues facing Americans today, not this nonsense about whether or not we should assist in operations being conducted by our allies in Libya (which by the way, we should).

Of course! The GOP has done great evil! :o The Democrats are just trying to do what's right.

Of course we should assist our allies (???) in Libya. When liberal Democrats drop bombs it's justified. ;)

Pendragon
09-04-2011, 07:49 PM
So does your new outlook suggest abandoning our long standing allies France and the United Kingdom?

Should we quit NATO as well?

Perhaps we should pack up all of our military forces and disband them all together?

Would you like to see that? It amuses me as I know from your posts you are far from a pacifist.

MMC
09-04-2011, 11:07 PM
So does your new outlook suggest abandoning our long standing allies France and the United Kingdom?

Should we quit NATO as well?

Perhaps we should pack up all of our military forces and disband them all together?

Would you like to see that? It amuses me as I know from your posts you are far from a pacifist.

Yes we should drop out of NATO.....as the Cold War is over. Let the French and the English as well as all those other EU Countries start having to pay for their own defense. Let them spend their own money instead of using us.

Yes we should begin to close down Embassies and go with like a regional hub for whatever region of the planet. This will cut the SOS Dept. and it will cut Military personell in the form of Marines from those Embassies.

As far as our Allies the French and the Brits are concerned. You can see they have no problem spending out money, using our tech, and then involving us into other countries civil wars. We have been here with the French before. We should have learned our lessen the first time. With friends like these who needs enemies?!

Conley
09-04-2011, 11:10 PM
You hit that one out of the park MMC ;D

MMC
09-04-2011, 11:21 PM
You hit that one out of the park MMC ;D

Well truthfully I am tired of hearing about how the French are allies of ours. They wussed out with Iraq. They barely send any troops or assistance with Afghanistan. Plus they are responsible for Officially recognizing the Rebels as the Ruling Gov of Libya. Before Qadhafi was out. Just Like now the French want to declare victory without the capture of him.

Now we have learned there is AQ in the Rebels per Sec. Gates. We also know there are Islamic Extremists in their Group. We also Know that the Sunni would do anything they can to Oust Qadhafi from OPEC.

Moreover the US needs to stop listening to all those EU economists that know so much about our Economy that they just can't get theirs right.

Conley
09-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Yep...a stronger president than Obama would have called the French on it, not jumped right in along with them. This was a minor skirmish anyway that we had no business getting involved in. The uprising would have been squashed quickly were it not for all the Western military stepping in. Not sure why getting rid of Q suddenly became such a priority since it looks like we were pretty buddy-buddy with him for years, and sending our suspects to Libya as well.

MMC
09-04-2011, 11:36 PM
Yep...a stronger president than Obama would have called the French on it, not jumped right in along with them. This was a minor skirmish anyway that we had no business getting involved in. The uprising would have been squashed quickly were it not for all the Western military stepping in. Not sure why getting rid of Q suddenly became such a priority since it looks like we were pretty buddy-buddy with him for years, and sending our suspects to Libya as well.

Not to mention he sent Troops to Iraq.....Qadhafi that is. Wonder how all are viewing that when some of our own people were fighting side by side with them. His troops were up in the Kurds areas in Iraq.

Conley
09-04-2011, 11:40 PM

Not to mention he sent Troops to Iraq.....Qadhafi that is. Wonder how all are viewing that when some of our own people were fighting side by side with them. His troops were up in the Kurds areas in Iraq.

Wow, I didn't know that. Didn't think anyone was friends with the Kurds.

MMC
09-04-2011, 11:48 PM

Yeah.....just us or is that US? :D

Conley
09-04-2011, 11:52 PM

Yep. the U.S. And little Miss Muffet who like Kurds and Whey ;D That's about it...Saddam sure seemed to have a thing for killing them :-\

MMC
09-04-2011, 11:54 PM

Yep. the U.S. And little Miss Muffet who like Kurds and Whey ;D That's about it...Saddam sure seemed to have a thing for killing them :-\

The Turks even more than Saddam..... ;)