PDA

View Full Version : Bear in town

donttread
08-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Given all the bear discussions we've seen on post here I thought it notable that we have a black bear wandering around the village. My 25 year old son saw it in the middle of town last night and many neighbors have seen it or it's tracks. Not terribly unusual here. There might be a lull between early and late maturing food plants in the woods so it's garbage raiding time. They've never hurt anyone here that I'm aware of but the smart folks still give them a wide berth

Captain Obvious
08-13-2015, 06:43 PM
We get them constantly, here's some shots my wife took of a sow and cubs that came up through our yard a few years back, I've posted these here before:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/eastms/cubs2a.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/eastms/cubs1a.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/eastms/bear2a.jpg

donttread
08-13-2015, 07:26 PM
We get them constantly, here's some shots my wife took of a sow and cubs that came up through our yard a few years back, I've posted these here before:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/eastms/cubs2a.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/eastms/cubs1a.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/eastms/bear2a.jpg

Great pics Captain. I'm too young to remember but my sisters talk about the time we were playing outside and went in to tell mom there was a bear nearby. She told us it was just a raccoon and our imagination and to get back out and play. Later the neighbor called to tell mom there was a bear in the neighborhood.

Chloe
08-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Unreasonable fear and ignorance states that you better kill it before it decides to hunt and kill all the humans in your neighborhood! Chop chop

Captain Obvious
08-13-2015, 07:48 PM
Unreasonable fear and ignorance states that you better kill it before it decides to hunt and kill all the humans in your neighborhood! Chop chop

I've encountered black bears ATVing at the local forest trails, they frequent the trailhead dumpsters. You just clap your hands a couple times and they go running.

I get them in my yard often, they dig into my rubbish shed. Surprised one a while back one summer night.

The Xl
08-13-2015, 07:55 PM
I'd challenge it to an arm wrestling match

Redrose
08-13-2015, 09:24 PM
We see them often, if they don't feel threatened they'll keep walking and no one gets hurt. They've done a lot of damage to my berry bushes though. I'm surprised they come that close with three pups barking. I guess they can sense the dogs are contained and can't get to them.

donttread
08-14-2015, 06:29 AM

Only if it messes with my garden Chloe! LOL. In fact it came through our yard last night, people driving by stopped my son who was coming home from a walk and told him he had just missed seeing it again as it came across our property and crossed the road

PolWatch
08-14-2015, 06:59 AM
I had a neighbor that worked for Auburn University doing wildlife studies. My husband & I went along on several trips to set humane animal traps for bears.....in residential areas. The bears were tagged and moved to more isolated areas. The area I live in borders an area designated Forever Wild and is filled with pine forests & cane swamps....which the bears love.

donttread
08-14-2015, 08:37 AM
I had a neighbor that worked for Auburn University doing wildlife studies. My husband & I went along on several trips to set humane animal traps for bears.....in residential areas. The bears were tagged and moved to more isolated areas. The area I live in borders an area designated Forever Wild and is filled with pine forests & cane swamps....which the bears love.

We live where they relocate those nusanise bears! They are kind of like a giant raccoon and seldom hurt people , on the other hand they are very powerful and deserve a wide berth. When I was a kid we had open dumps and we'd go to the dump to watch the bears, sometimes a dozen at a time

Cletus
08-14-2015, 09:16 AM

Has anyone here advocated killing a bear who poses no imminent threat? If so, name that poster.

Chloe
08-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Stupid thing to say.

Has anyone here advocated killing a bear who poses no imminent threat? If so, name that poster.

Cletus
08-14-2015, 10:24 AM
So, you can't name anyone who has advocated what you suggested. That's what I thought.

Until you get over yourself, you might want to stick to the cartoons and leave the discussions to the grownups.

Private Pickle
08-14-2015, 10:25 AM

Well if cooked right they can be tasty. Grizzly taste like shit or so I've heard.

sachem
08-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Well if cooked right they can be tasty. Grizzly taste like shit or so I've heard.Yuck.

Captain Obvious
08-14-2015, 10:27 AM
Black bears are total scavengers, I've seen them licking crusted mayo out of jars at the dump. They'll eat anything in the rubbish bag except the bag itself.

Their meat is stringy and greasy, disgustingly bad tasting.

Private Pickle
08-14-2015, 10:27 AM
Yuck.

Black beer tastes like a sweet pork if done correctly.

Private Pickle
08-14-2015, 10:28 AM
Black bears are total scavengers, I've seen them licking crusted mayo out of jars at the dump. They'll eat anything in the rubbish bag except the bag itself.

Their meat is stringy and greasy, disgustingly bad tasting.

So is goose but if you cook it right no can defense!

Captain Obvious
08-14-2015, 10:29 AM

Right - like burn it and use it for cinders for driveway ice.

Private Pickle
08-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Right - like burn it and use it for cinders for driveway ice.

That reminds me. A couple years back a client told be about his peccarie hunt. So he tells me about his bag and I asked him how he cooked it. The story is as follows:

"Well we skinned and gutted the pig and seasoned it with brown sugar, salt, onion, garlic, paprika, cumin and cayenne. Then we dug a giant hole. We stuffed the pig into a burlap sack, filled the hole with hot coals, put some sand on the coals, put the sack into the hole and cover it up. We cooked it for about 8 hours, dug it up, pulled the pig out of the sack, tossed the pig in the trash and ate the sack."

donttread
08-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Yuck.

I've eaten black bear and like it. But this is town and it ain't hunting season, we will just let him be.

donttread
08-14-2015, 10:47 AM

Have you seen the shit they feed the pork you eat?

Private Pickle
08-14-2015, 11:07 AM
Have you seen the shit they feed the pork you eat?

Have you seen the St. Louis style ribs I make?

donttread
08-14-2015, 12:07 PM
Have you seen the St. Louis style ribs I make?

Same principal, you just gotta know how to cook it

Private Pickle
08-14-2015, 12:24 PM
Same principal, you just gotta know how to cook it

Yeah man but pork is heavenly.

sachem
08-14-2015, 12:36 PM
Have you seen the shit they feed the pork you eat?It all comes wrapped up in a pretty package. That is what I see.

Peter1469
08-14-2015, 02:55 PM
I had bear chili before. It was good. No idea what type of bear it was. It was at an annual game night in Sackets Harbor, NY.

Redrose
08-14-2015, 03:27 PM
I had bear chili before. It was good. No idea what type of bear it was. It was at an annual game night in Sackets Harbor, NY.

I would think it would be very gamey. Enough good spices could help that. I've had moose chili, it was too strong for my liking.

Cthulhu
08-14-2015, 03:31 PM
Hey, it they take off running, or don't cause problems - be my guest.

Start breaking stuff or start giving me or my kids the stink eye, animal control can pick up a bear corpse.

Team Human 4 Life.

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.

donttread
08-15-2015, 09:50 AM

Most liklely black bear Peter, unless someone had been on a hunting trip out west which is possible

donttread
08-15-2015, 09:52 AM
Yeah man but pork is heavenly.

Home raised pork is the best. Ribs are slow cooked, seasoned , etc so it's hard to tell. But eat one home raised pork chop vs. that dried out crap the grocery chains sell and you'll never go back

Peter1469
08-15-2015, 09:52 AM
Most liklely black bear Peter, unless someone had been on a hunting trip out west which is possible

Probably so. I think the game was all local kills.