PDA

View Full Version : morning hike/adventure/soul filling/near death experience

Chloe
08-15-2015, 03:21 PM
So after taking the wrong trail which set us back some time and then literally falling off the side of a cliff and sliding down what felt like at least a 100 yards or longer over dirt and rock to what I assumed was my pending death, which then took seemingly forever to get back up to the trail from, my friend and I made it to this little slice of heaven on Earth...

Abiqua Falls

Photo cred of my backside goes to my friend

PolWatch
08-15-2015, 03:23 PM
beautiful sight.....sounds too exciting for me!

sachem
08-15-2015, 03:25 PM
He (your friend) took a lovely pic of your backside. Happy to hear you survived your adventure.

Peter1469
08-15-2015, 03:26 PM
Sounds like a fun day!

Chloe
08-15-2015, 03:27 PM
He (your friend) took a lovely pic of your backside. Happy to hear you survived your adventure.

It was a she that took the picture but thanks! I happily survived yes.

sachem
08-15-2015, 03:39 PM
It was a she that took the picture but thanks! I happily survived yes.Oops. Sorry.

Chloe
08-15-2015, 03:42 PM
Oops. Sorry.

its ok

gamewell45
08-15-2015, 03:43 PM
First off, glad you are ok; secondly, what a beautiful area you are hiking in. Where I live, there are waterfalls, but only a 85 ft drop (the longest in Southern NE) which is nothing compared to your part of the country. Enjoy your hike!

jimmyz
08-15-2015, 04:10 PM
I thought you encountered a bear when I read the thread title. Glad I was wrong. Great photos... yes. the one of your "backside" as well.

donttread
08-15-2015, 04:31 PM
So after taking the wrong trail which set us back some time and then literally falling off the side of a cliff and sliding down what felt like at least a 100 yards or longer over dirt and rock to what I assumed was my pending death, which then took seemingly forever to get back up to the trail from, my friend and I made it to this little slice of heaven on Earth...

Abiqua Falls

Photo cred of my backside goes to my friend

Remember youth will only overcome so much. Be careful out there. Complacency can kill. Some waterfall, how tall is it?

southwest88
08-15-2015, 06:48 PM
... than to be shot at without result.
-- Sir Winston Churchill

Even so, be careful out there. It would be hard to find another voice like yours here.

Chloe
08-15-2015, 07:19 PM
Remember youth will only overcome so much. Be careful out there. Complacency can kill. Some waterfall, how tall is it?

I'll be more careful next time for sure. There's a steep drop off down one of the trails that leads to the waterfall area and I took my eye off the trail for like a couple of seconds to look up at a tree top and I stepped off the side and literally slid down a cliff face for what had to have been 100 yards. I laughed about it with my friend when I got back up to the top of the trail but it definitely shook me up for a few minutes. If it wouldn't have had a slope to it to where I was in contact with surface then I could have legitimately walked off a cliff and fallen who knows how far.

As to your question it's about 100 ft

Captain Obvious
08-15-2015, 07:44 PM

Impressed?

Captain Obvious
08-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Chloe - you know, if you were home playing video games this shit wouldn't happen.

Chloe
08-15-2015, 07:57 PM
@Chloe (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=565) - you know, if you were home playing video games this shit wouldn't happen.

Ill have to remember that

Captain Obvious
08-15-2015, 07:59 PM
Ill have to remember that

Actually, if you were home making your husband a sandwich...

...sorry

Chloe
08-15-2015, 08:04 PM

...sorry

Lol well I doubt he'd like the sandwich id make him. Plus I need a boyfriend first.

Captain Obvious
08-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Lol well I doubt he'd like the sandwich id make him. Plus I need a boyfriend first.

If you wait too long your baby box will dry up

southwest88
08-15-2015, 08:09 PM

...sorry

A sorry sandwich? What - Vegemite, just because you don't like going vegan? Tofu, for the same reason?

Chloe
08-15-2015, 08:09 PM
If you wait too long your baby box will dry up

Im 21, I think my baby box is fine

southwest88
08-15-2015, 08:15 PM
@Chloe (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=565) - you know, if you were home playing video games this $#@! wouldn't happen.

snark on/ Yes, yes! The first stumbling steps towards become a full-fledged Dalek!

Scream it with me (high-pitched voice @ the edge of inaudibility - loud, no affect, just a touch of vocoder, if you can do it): Exterminate! Exterminate!

donttread
08-16-2015, 07:43 AM
I'll be more careful next time for sure. There's a steep drop off down one of the trails that leads to the waterfall area and I took my eye off the trail for like a couple of seconds to look up at a tree top and I stepped off the side and literally slid down a cliff face for what had to have been 100 yards. I laughed about it with my friend when I got back up to the top of the trail but it definitely shook me up for a few minutes. If it wouldn't have had a slope to it to where I was in contact with surface then I could have legitimately walked off a cliff and fallen who knows how far.

As to your question it's about 100 ft

I'll bet that set the adrenalin off! I have found that I seldom get in trouble because I didn't there was a danger, but rather because I was complacent about handling the danger. Anyway you came out with some great pics and a great story and I'm assuming no major injuries. What more can you ask for from a day in the great outdoors?