PDA

View Full Version : TURKEY TO CHALLENGE ISRAELI Blockade of Gaza.....

MMC
09-04-2011, 05:09 AM

Conley
09-04-2011, 08:33 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/turkey-says-challenge-gaza-blockade-123453603.html

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey is preparing to challenge Israel's blockade on Gaza at the International Court of Justice, the foreign minister said Saturday, ratcheting up tensions between the once close allies.
Ahmet Davutoglu's comments came a day after Turkey expelled the Israel's ambassador and severed military ties with the country, angered over its refusal to apologize for last year's deadly raid on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla that killed nine pro-Palestinian activists

In an interview with Turkey's state-run TRT television, Davutoglu dismissed a U.N. report into the raid that said Israel's naval blockade of Gaza was a legal security measure. Davutoglu said the report — prepared by former New Zealand Prime Minister Geoffrey Palmer and former Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, and presented to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon — was not endorsed by the United Nations and was therefore not binding.

"What is binding is the International Court of Justice," Davutoglu said. "This is what we are saying: let the International Court of Justice decide.".....snip~

Think this will affect things with the Israeli Blockade? Plus now the Iranians are sending their 15th Fleet into the area. The Israelis have been into with the Egyptians. Then Greece stopped a US and Canadian attempt to run the blockade, and Hamas is to seek the politically and media publicity with an attempt to be recognized for statehood. But now Turkey has brought up that legitimate global concern. Stating the UN did not approve of any Naval blockade of Gaza. Thoughts? :-\

If someone tries to run the blockade I have no doubt they'll get slaughtered, just like the last time. That's how the Israelis play it and they're not going to change. So hopefully it doesn't come to that.

As far as military action with Turkey or Iran, I don't think either one will push it because Turkey still wants to be allied with the West, NATO, and the U.S. and Iran knows now that Iraq is winding down they'll be the next target if they act up. Think Obama won't take advantage of Iranian aggressions to start another war? I don't know...

Mister D
09-04-2011, 05:35 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/turkey-says-challenge-gaza-blockade-123453603.html

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey is preparing to challenge Israel's blockade on Gaza at the International Court of Justice, the foreign minister said Saturday, ratcheting up tensions between the once close allies.
Ahmet Davutoglu's comments came a day after Turkey expelled the Israel's ambassador and severed military ties with the country, angered over its refusal to apologize for last year's deadly raid on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla that killed nine pro-Palestinian activists

In an interview with Turkey's state-run TRT television, Davutoglu dismissed a U.N. report into the raid that said Israel's naval blockade of Gaza was a legal security measure. Davutoglu said the report — prepared by former New Zealand Prime Minister Geoffrey Palmer and former Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, and presented to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon — was not endorsed by the United Nations and was therefore not binding.

"What is binding is the International Court of Justice," Davutoglu said. "This is what we are saying: let the International Court of Justice decide.".....snip~

Think this will affect things with the Israeli Blockade? Plus now the Iranians are sending their 15th Fleet into the area. The Israelis have been into with the Egyptians. Then Greece stopped a US and Canadian attempt to run the blockade, and Hamas is to seek the politically and media publicity with an attempt to be recognized for statehood. But now Turkey has brought up that legitimate global concern. Stating the UN did not approve of any Naval blockade of Gaza. Thoughts? :-\

If someone tries to run the blockade I have no doubt they'll get slaughtered, just like the last time. That's how the Israelis play it and they're not going to change. So hopefully it doesn't come to that.

As far as military action with Turkey or Iran, I don't think either one will push it because Turkey still wants to be allied with the West, NATO, and the U.S. and Iran knows now that Iraq is winding down they'll be the next target if they act up. Think Obama won't take advantage of Iranian aggressions to start another war? I don't know...

I doubt Turkey will especially with the current state of Turkish politics. YOu're right about their desire for entry into the E.U. which will never happen but they still think it might. Iran? I'm not so sure.

Pendragon
09-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Iran would need to take fairly significant action against Israel for Obama to even consider an attack.

Contrary to reports he is not the warmonger you all make him out to be.

Mister D
09-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Iran would need to take fairly significant action against Israel for Obama to even consider an attack.

Of course not. Only Republicans are warmongers. ;) So I see you will be voting for more war in 2012.

Conley
09-05-2011, 12:24 AM

Of course not. Only Republicans are warmongers. ;) So I see you will be voting for more war in 2012.

So if last time was Hope and Change, this time around it's Despair and the Same-Old, Same-Old?

Hmm...don't see that slogan leading to a win.

Mister D
09-05-2011, 08:30 AM

So if last time was Hope and Change, this time around it's Despair and the Same-Old, Same-Old?

Hmm...don't see that slogan leading to a win.

I guess BO is in a bind. There are limits to the mindlessness of American voters. As a potential second term POTUS he can't get away with an empty slogan like hope and change. Not after an ineffectual first term.

MMC
09-05-2011, 08:45 AM

Conley
09-05-2011, 08:52 AM
or bend over and take it... >:(

Mister D
09-05-2011, 09:00 AM
I've met plenty of Democrat partisans who seem more than willing to drop their drawers for BO. ;)

Conley
09-05-2011, 09:03 AM
I've met plenty of Democrat partisans who seem more than willing to drop their drawers for BO. ;)

:D well hard core partisans are about the only ones still supporting the guy.

MMC
09-05-2011, 09:29 AM

Mister D
09-05-2011, 09:30 AM

U aint talkin bout that Weiner from NY are ya D? >:D :D ;)

What happened to him? His career is over, I suppose. I guess he rode off into the sunset...without his pants of course.

wingrider
09-05-2011, 09:40 AM

:D well hard core partisans are about the only ones still supporting the guy.

yep!!!! now you got it

Conley
09-05-2011, 09:41 AM

U aint talkin bout that Weiner from NY are ya D? >:D :D ;)

What happened to him? His career is over, I suppose. I guess he rode off into the sunset...without his pants of course.

He might be back some day, who knows. Seemed like he still had strong support in NYC...his scandal while very bad wasn't quite a Rod Blagovich / John Edwards kind of deal. He will probably become a rich lobbyist / consultant if I had to guess though. I'm sure he still has powerful friends.

Mister D
09-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Everyone seemed to distance themselves when the story broke but you're right. It's not on the level of Blago. Maybe he has a future in NYC and is just lying low for now.

MMC
09-05-2011, 10:06 AM

Mister D
09-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Everyone seemed to distance themselves when the story broke but you're right. It's not on the level of Blago. Maybe he has a future in NYC and is just lying low for now.

If the Dems lose the 13th District in NY Obama might just drop dangerously close to 35%. That happens the Dems will run sombody against him. >:D

It would have to get really bad for the Dems to run someone against the first Black President. Frankly, I think they might even throw the election the way the GOP did in 1996 (no one believed Dole had a chance) rather than risk the political fallout.

Conley
09-05-2011, 10:31 AM

If the Dems lose the 13th District in NY Obama might just drop dangerously close to 35%. That happens the Dems will run sombody against him. >:D

It would have to get really bad for the Dems to run someone against the first Black President. Frankly, I think they might even throw the election the way the GOP did in 1996 (no one believed Dole had a chance) rather than risk the political fallout.

Yeah, I can't see the Dems bailing on Obama like that. It would split their party.

MMC
09-05-2011, 11:10 AM

Conley
09-05-2011, 11:13 AM
35% approval rate or something else?

Those measurables seem to vary depending on who is doing the asking.

Mister D
09-05-2011, 11:18 AM

Yeah, I can't see the Dems bailing on Obama like that. It would split their party.

Definitely and they know it. That's karma though. All that race baiting has a price.