PDA

View Full Version : July 2015 was very likely Earth's hottest month on record

Captain Obvious
08-20-2015, 05:53 AM
Keep your heads in the sand, nothing to see here...

http://mashable.com/2015/08/17/july-hottest-month-on-earth/

The warmest year on record so far may have claimed another milestone, and this time it's a big one.

According to preliminary data (http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/) from NASA along with information from the Japan Meteorological Administration (http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/gwp/temp/jul_wld.html), July 2015 was the warmest month on record since instrument temperature records began in the late 1800s.

Research using other data, such as tree rings, ice cores and coral formations in the ocean, have shown that the Earth is now the warmest it has been since at least 4,000 years ago (http://www.sciencemag.org/content/339/6124/1198.abstract).

midcan5
08-20-2015, 06:01 AM
Recently friends visited Alaska after almost forty years, they confirmed the worst, but is there really any need as this summer in PA and NJ has been hot hot hot.

texan
08-20-2015, 09:00 AM
I live in Texas, record rainfall and not hottest.......I don't trust this administration to report anything correctly. They mislead everyone about the NASA readings in his speech in January.

Said hottest ever! Then you read between NASA'a lines in the report and it says to important things:

1. .02 decided HOTTEST EVER
2. Report says the margin of error is 3 degrees less.

Such a misleading speech. NASA can't comment this guy will attack you with the IRS, the FBI or whatever to shut you up. Ask Menedez, Patreaus, the Tea Party etc.......

Not to mention going on measurements from instruments when we were still crapping in outhouses.

Peter1469
08-20-2015, 02:51 PM
Be brave. Don't shit the bed....

del
08-20-2015, 02:53 PM
you first

Mister D
08-24-2015, 08:10 PM
Recently friends visited Alaska after almost forty years, they confirmed the worst, but is there really any need as this summer in PA and NJ has been hot hot hot.

It has? The powers of suggestion...

Dr. Who
08-24-2015, 10:22 PM
Not the hottest July in my memory, but I live in a climate of extremes, but Europe was enduring June/July temps into the 100 + degrees for an extended period of time, which shattered temperature records. They are so unused to extreme heat that air conditioning is a rarity in Europe. Sadly an estimated 30,000 Europeans (14,000 in France alone) died in that heat wave,

Common
08-24-2015, 10:32 PM
This has been a very hot summer in Fla, record rainfall and record flooding. If you talk to folks that have lived here the entire 60 yrs of their lives they tell you this is nothing new. This is fla and we get these summers from time to time. Ive been here this is the 11th summer this is the first time its been like this.

del
08-24-2015, 10:33 PM
seemed like a mild july to me, but my daughter said that amsterdam and copenhagen were unusually warm.

last july was much worse around here, imo, but as i always say, you don't have to shovel heat.

Bob
08-24-2015, 10:38 PM

It comes with a few buts

del
08-24-2015, 10:45 PM
:rolleyes:

Redrose
08-24-2015, 10:48 PM
We had one week in early August that was hot, very hot other than that we had a nice normal summer.

I believe global warming is cyclical. I don't believe it has anything to do with what man is doing or not doing.
Common mentioned Florida's weather pattern. My family moved to Central Florida in '85 and I in '91. The weather went through cycles every few years, from droughts to monsoons like this summer's rain.

The Earth is just going thorough it's normal periodic changes. IMO

Common
08-24-2015, 11:31 PM
We had one week in early August that was hot, very hot other than that we had a nice normal summer.

I believe global warming is cyclical. I don't believe it has anything to do with what man is doing or not doing.
@Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659) mentioned Florida's weather pattern. My family moved to Central Florida in '85 and I in '91. The weather went through cycles every few years, from droughts to monsoons like this summer's rain.

The Earth is just going thorough it's normal periodic changes. IMO

Yep, we went through a two year drought a few years ago. Isnt it el nino this year also ?

Redrose
08-25-2015, 12:18 AM
Yep, we went through a two year drought a few years ago. Isnt it el nino this year also ?

I really don't know. El Nino, La Nina I'm not sure which is which. Same here in East Tennessee, we had a drought about 6 years ago this year we've had a lot of rain which makes me think we'll have a lot of snow this winter. :laugh:

PolWatch
08-25-2015, 07:55 AM
We are in the low 70's this morning with lows tonight forecast for the 60's. Around here, that is shocking! August is usually just another July-hot month. I'm not complaining....for a change. I hope it doesn't mean another cold winter. If the hummingbirds start packing their little travel bags anytime soon, I need to get some warm clothes ready!

Common
08-25-2015, 07:58 AM
seemed like a mild july to me, but my daughter said that amsterdam and copenhagen were unusually warm.

last july was much worse around here, imo, but as i always say, you don't have to shovel heat.

It moves around, your having mild were having high heat. Last year we were alot cooler and you were hotter. Its called Mother Nature

Peter1469
08-25-2015, 02:45 PM
The OP only talks about a global average temperature. Not very useful....

donttread
08-29-2015, 06:44 PM

Not here it wasn't. Just where was this record heat?

Captain Obvious
08-29-2015, 06:50 PM

Try reading the article

Captain Obvious
08-29-2015, 06:51 PM
And this is typical of the uninformed institutionalized.

"it wasn't hot today, ergo no warming"

Peter1469
08-29-2015, 08:17 PM

The recent doomsday man-made global warming "studies" are focusing on global temperature averages.... We have mega cities with heat wells and we have empty expanses.... Oh boy....

Science, it ain't what it use to be..., the drive for grant money.... :shocked:

Captain Obvious
08-29-2015, 08:20 PM
The recent doomsday man-made global warming "studies" are focusing on global temperature averages.... We have mega cities with heat wells and we have empty expanses.... Oh boy....

"Doomsday" is extreme.

A rational approach to the issue is seemingly difficult.

Common Sense
08-29-2015, 08:23 PM
It's difficult to have a rational discussion with people who believe in bigfoot, demons and vast conspiracies, yet have a hard time believing in peer reviewed science.

Captain Obvious
08-29-2015, 08:25 PM
It's difficult to have a rational discussion with people who believe in bigfoot, demons and vast conspiracies, yet have a hard time believing in peer reviewed science.

The issue really isn't proving the science, it's fairly universally accepted as accurate except in the fringe wingosphere.

The real issue is political. Developed nations promote reduced emissions and can to a degree but developing nations aren't in a position to negotiate these moves economically.

Peter1469
08-29-2015, 08:29 PM
"Doomsday" is extreme.

A rational approach to the issue is seemingly difficult.

Agree.

The rational approach is that the climate has been warming less than 1 degree Centigrade per 100 years for the last 150 years as the earth warmed from the last mini ice age.

We are likely edging back into another mini ice age and the sun goes dormant for a bit, so let's not spend trillions of dollars to cool the planet off.

Peter1469
08-29-2015, 08:30 PM
The warmists would impress me if they offered market solutions, rather that totalitarian solutions.

:shocked:

Common Sense
08-29-2015, 08:37 PM
The issue really isn't proving the science, it's fairly universally accepted as accurate except in the fringe wingosphere.

The real issue is political. Developed nations promote reduced emissions and can to a degree but developing nations aren't in a position to negotiate these moves economically.

True, but the impact from developed nations is far greater than developing. Plus, it's a lame excuse to say, well if we can't get everyone to do it, what's the point.

Not to mention, if developed nations make the effort, developing nations can follow suit in years to come. If we don't make an effort, they never will.

Common Sense
08-29-2015, 08:37 PM
The warmists would impress me if they offered market solutions, rather that totalitarian solutions.

Carbon credits (insert conspiracy theory here) aren't market solutions?

Captain Obvious
08-29-2015, 08:40 PM
True, but the impact from developed nations is far greater than developing. Plus, it's a lame excuse to say, well if we can't get everyone to do it, what's the point.

Not to mention, if developed nations make the effort, developing nations can follow suit in years to come. If we don't make an effort, they never will.

China burns a lot of coal

Captain Obvious
08-29-2015, 08:42 PM

There really aren't practical market solutions IMO. Alternative energies are still too emerging to be economically feasible. I've said this before, stopping the impact of global warming (or climate change, whichever term is preferred) shouldn't be the focus. Dealing with it's impact at this point should.

Common Sense
08-29-2015, 08:42 PM
China burns a lot of coal

...as does the US. However China has agreed to reduce emissions. As has the EU.

The US, China and the EU emit about as much in emissions as the rest of the world combined.

Peter1469
08-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Carbon credits (insert conspiracy theory here) aren't market solutions?
Yes they are. But they focus on a non-pollutant.

We were down to 280 ppm in atmospheric CO2 -- life on earth couldn't take much less.

Good thing we pumped it up a bit.

Common Sense
08-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Oh lord...

Peter1469
08-29-2015, 08:46 PM
We are fast achieving fusion. Then all of the warmists' fears will be over. At least until they come up with another scheme to separate the people from their money.

Common Sense
08-29-2015, 08:48 PM
It's all a conspiracy!!!!

Probably demons and bigfoot behind it.

It's so bizarre seeing seemingly intelligent people buying such obvious propaganda.

That's it for me. I can only tolerate so much of this...

Peter1469
08-29-2015, 09:52 PM
It's all a conspiracy!!!!

Probably demons and bigfoot behind it.

It's so bizarre seeing seemingly intelligent people buying such obvious propaganda.

That's it for me. I can only tolerate so much of this...

You probably should just forget about it and let science take us into a clean energy direction.

No need for government clamp downs on human potential.

donttread
08-30-2015, 07:59 AM

Correct. "Studies show, that studies show, pretty much whatever the people funding the study want them to"

But for shits and goggles who here has had a record hot summer?

Peter1469
08-30-2015, 09:14 AM
Correct. "Studies show, that studies show, pretty much whatever the people funding the study want them to"

But for shits and goggles who here has had a record hot summer?

Not here. Quite mild. And pleasant. It is August 30, and I have my sliding glass door open.

donttread
08-31-2015, 06:05 AM
Not here. Quite mild. And pleasant. It is August 30, and I have my sliding glass door open.

A cool summer here, very nice