PDA

View Full Version : my dog is dying

del
09-01-2015, 09:42 PM
he's 17 years old. his name is keeto.

he's not in any pain that i can see, but his breathing is becoming labored and he's having difficulty walking.

my heart is breaking

whatukno
09-01-2015, 09:45 PM
:sad:

I'm sorry. Dogs are awesome.

Redrose
09-01-2015, 09:55 PM

he's not in any pain that i can see, but his breathing is becoming labored and he's having difficulty walking.

my heart is breaking

I am so sorry del. 17 is remarkable. You gave him a great life with people who love him. Make him comfortable and let him know you are close by.

We are close to the same thing with our Toby who is 13.5. He has cancer, and is on meds. No pain either but not well. I cry myself to sleep sometimes thinking about it.

I'm really sorry to hear that.

del
09-01-2015, 09:59 PM
i was hoping he would last until my daughter returns from finland in the spring, but i don't think it's in the cards.

i guess we'll just play out the string.

Redrose
09-01-2015, 10:02 PM
del

Would you put him down? I know many folks just do that. We lost our Romeo on Halloween 2013. He was 11.5 and had cancer and we left it too long to euthanize him. It's a hard thing to do, but it may be the best for him. Our Romeo suffered too much that final day, and the vet was closed.

Dr. Who
09-01-2015, 10:03 PM

my heart is breaking
I'm so sorry Del. I've been there a number of times and it is horrible. All you can do is wait for the time when you know he is suffering and then take him in to the vet so that he doesn't suffer needlessly.

Ravens Fan
09-01-2015, 10:06 PM

my heart is breaking

Sorry to hear that Del. I have been there and it's never easy.

del
09-01-2015, 10:07 PM
@del (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=770)

Would you put him down? I know many folks just do that. We lost our Romeo on Halloween 2013. He was 11.5 and had cancer and we left it too long to euthanize him. It's a hard thing to do, but it may be the best for him. Our Romeo suffered too much that final day, and the vet was closed.

that's kinda what i'm wrestling with now.

i don't want him to suffer, but i don't want to act prematurely.

i will have him put down if he seems to be in pain. either way, i don't think it's going to be very long now.

Redrose
09-01-2015, 10:18 PM
that's kinda what i'm wrestling with now.

i don't want him to suffer, but i don't want to act prematurely.

i will have him put down if he seems to be in pain. either way, i don't think it's going to be very long now.

Our vet said they don't show pain like we would. The day my Romeo passed he kept away from us. He just stood in the foyer with his head down. No eating, no drinking, nothing. I carried him to the sofa with me and he'd walk back to the foyer and just stand there. I read that is normal at the end. The darn vet was closed that day and none of the emergency clinics would answer the phone. Don't make the same mistake I left it too long. I hate myself for letting him down. I still cry. The injection is quick. Seconds literally.

sachem
09-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Sorry to hear that, del. It is heart breaking to lose a beloved pet. My prayers are with you.

JDubya
09-01-2015, 10:42 PM
I know how hard it is to watch a pet die.

Heartbreaking.

You have my sympathy.

Common
09-02-2015, 12:54 AM

my heart is breaking

ah man I feel for you, ive gone through this 4 times. One strong bit of advice, DO NOT let your love for him and your pain make him suffer longer than he should. Let him go when your senses tell you its time.

Tricia
09-02-2015, 04:40 AM
I'm so sorry, my friend.

Captain Obvious
09-02-2015, 07:34 AM
That sucks.

We lost our dog earlier this year. It's like losing a family member.

Chris
09-02-2015, 07:51 AM
Sorry to hear that, del.

William
09-02-2015, 09:18 AM
I'm really, really sorry to hear that Del. I won't tell you about my dog who died, cos that makes it about him and me, and this is about your dog and you. Like someone else said, just be happy you gave him everything you did, including your love. Nothing I can say will make it easier - just hang in there, mate. :sad:

The Xl
09-02-2015, 09:33 AM
That's heartbreaking. 17 is a long time though. I pray my dog can reach 17, nothing in this world would make me happier.

It sucks so bad, but this is how it is. Dogs are so awesome, yet they're gone so soon. It's depressing and maddeningly infuriating. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Common
09-02-2015, 09:42 AM
That's heartbreaking. 17 is a long time though. I pray my dog can reach 17, nothing in this world would make me happier.

It sucks so bad, but this is how it is. Dogs are so awesome, yet they're gone so soon. It's depressing and maddeningly infuriating. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Our little guy is going on 12 and its scarey. Close as I was to all my other dogs. WE are closer to this one because were retired and have been able to spend so much more time with him. Its uncanny how he knows our every move and how we know his.

PolWatch
09-02-2015, 11:17 AM
I hate to hear that you are going through this. I know how difficult it is. Animals give us so much and ask so little in return. They really are family.

CreepyOldDude
09-02-2015, 11:38 AM

my heart is breaking

I'm so sorry to hear that, del. I'll keep you and keeto in my prayers.

:sad:

Venus
09-02-2015, 12:13 PM
I'm so sorry del

jimmyz
09-02-2015, 02:19 PM
The one dog (a cute Pug named Taz) that I've ever owned died where he stood on his favorite patch of lawn where he would lounge on a beautiful spring day. We had 13+ great years with no illness in him. I thank God I didn't have to feel the pain your are in contemplating your decision. Your buddy will let you know when its time I imagine. Never feel any guilt. You are the responsible human and your buddy loves you for it. Even in the finality.

"A joy shared is twice the joy. A pain shared is half the pain" - no attribution

silvereyes
09-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Oh del. I just saw this. I'm very sad for y'all. I know it sucks. My hubs' lab lived 17 1/2 years. Its the only time I've seen him cry.

I hope he's not in pain. (((((Hugs for you and keeto))))

Bob
09-03-2015, 07:01 PM
del

your story of your dog touches me. I feel awful you are in the last days with your Keeto.

southwest88
09-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Sorry to hear of it. Cherish the good days, & hope the bad days are few.

All the best.

valley ranch
10-04-2015, 03:04 PM
Sorry to hear this. Your pup isn't dying, it's living and getting close for time to go. I wouldn't have the dog put down, he most likely would like to be at home with the family until the last, most people would.

Good go, to you and yours at this time.

Redrose
10-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Del hasn't been posting here lately, I hope it's not because his beloved pup got worse. Hopefully it's because he's busy with family and having fun.

del
10-20-2015, 05:21 PM
thanks to everyone

keeto passed away quietly in my arms on 9/25

he just ran out of gas

well loved and greatly missed

Private Pickle
10-20-2015, 05:24 PM
For some reason the close pets are harder on me than people.

Safety
10-20-2015, 05:25 PM
thanks to everyone

he just ran out of gas

Welcome back bud!

My condolences about Keeto.

Common Sense
10-20-2015, 05:32 PM
thanks to everyone

he just ran out of gas

So sorry buddy. I've had a couple of dogs die in my arms. It freakin hear breaking.

Dr. Who
10-20-2015, 05:42 PM
thanks to everyone

he just ran out of gas

My condolences on your loss. We know when we make them parts of our families that they will leave us all too soon, but that knowledge never makes it any easier when it happens.

Redrose
10-20-2015, 05:47 PM
del

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It's heartbreaking I know. Take some solice in the knowledge you gave him a wonderful life and you were with him when he needed you most. God Bless.

Peter1469
10-20-2015, 06:49 PM
My best girl has a cat. I hope he outlives me. He is a cool little dude.

valley ranch
10-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Passed away in your arms. Good for both of you. I'm sure the pup was glad to the last, to be in the arms of a loved one.

You're both very lucky to have had each other. I know it was hard to let one you love go. God love you both.

We've had some large animals we loved die looking into our eyes, loving us as we love them. I think we'll meet again, all of us.

Redrose
10-20-2015, 08:22 PM
My best girl has a cat. I hope he outlives me. He is a cool little dude.

Ain't love grand. :smiley:

Captain Obvious
10-20-2015, 08:26 PM
I've had two dogs that were key in my life pass, one when I was maybe 12 and one just this year. Patches #1 when I was a kid and Patches #2 now. Both were heartbreaking and impacted my life in a deep way.

I'm sorry for your loss del.

Cthulhu
11-13-2015, 11:32 PM

my heart is breaking
Dude, that sucks. Losing a good dog is losing a member of a family.

I wish you the best.

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.

del
11-13-2015, 11:48 PM
Dude, that sucks. Losing a good dog is losing a member of a family.

I wish you the best.

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.

thanks

he went in my arms, very peacefully and naturally

i still see him in the corner of my eye sometimes

Peter1469
11-13-2015, 11:55 PM
thanks

he went in my arms, very peacefully and naturally

i still see him in the corner of my eye sometimes

You will see him again.

Gypsy
11-13-2015, 11:56 PM
All pups go to heaven. :)