PDA

View Full Version : Certain kinds of road kill just shouldn't happen

donttread
09-17-2015, 09:12 AM
I drive quite a bit for my job and see all kinds of road kill. Yesterday their was a small turtle in my lane. I avoided hitting the creature without leaving my lane of even putting a second hand on the steering wheel. I'll grant you this turtle may be mixed up in that you typically see them cross roads in the spring not the fall, but no reason he should get run over for that.
But it got me thinking about all the dead turtles and porcupines I see. Who is out there driving that lacks the reaction time to dodge the slowest moving of creatures? And should we include a reaction time test on the process to obtain a license?

Captain Obvious
09-17-2015, 09:16 AM
Kings of road kill?

Sounds like a honky tonk band

Peter1469
09-17-2015, 09:17 AM
Kinds?

Peter1469
09-17-2015, 09:20 AM
I ran over a turtle once - because of oncoming traffic it would not have been safe to try to avoid it. Screw the turtle- not worth risking human life.

Common Sense
09-17-2015, 09:45 AM
I've never seen more roadkill than in Michigan. It looked like mass suicide by the local deer population. There were sections of road that looked like Jonestown.

Safety
09-17-2015, 09:48 AM
I drive quite a bit for my job and see all kinds of road kill. Yesterday their was a small turtle in my lane. I avoided hitting the creature without leaving my lane of even putting a second hand on the steering wheel. I'll grant you this turtle may be mixed up in that you typically see them cross roads in the spring not the fall, but no reason he should get run over for that.
But it got me thinking about all the dead turtles and porcupines I see. Who is out there driving that lacks the reaction time to dodge the slowest moving of creatures? And should we include a reaction time test on the process to obtain a license?

Usually, it's from distracted driving and not seeing them until it's too late.

Captain Obvious
09-17-2015, 10:31 AM
I've never seen more roadkill than in Michigan. It looked like mass suicide by the local deer population. There were sections of road that looked like Jonestown.

Road pizza

donttread
09-17-2015, 06:05 PM
I ran over a turtle once - because of oncoming traffic it would not have been safe to try to avoid it. Screw the turtle- not worth risking human life.

That's the only situation where it makes sense, but are roads are not as busy as yours

donttread
09-17-2015, 06:07 PM
Kings of road kill?

LOL, yes I meant kinds . But I do know some fellas who do eat road kill they find.

Captain Obvious
09-17-2015, 06:09 PM
LOL, yes I meant kinds . But I do know some fellas who do eat road kill they find.

Pennsylvania had a program where donated road killed deer were to be fed to prison inmates.

donttread
09-17-2015, 06:21 PM
Pennsylvania had a program where donated road killed deer were to be fed to prison inmates.

Yes, but I believe that was fresh roadkill. I have myself eaten a PA deer that I ran over. These guys pick up road kill somewhat else hit. I guess that's OK if the animal is at least still warm when you find it

PolWatch
09-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Do you know why the chicken crossed the road?

to prove to the armadillo that it could be done......

donttread
09-18-2015, 06:19 AM
do you know why the chicken crossed the road?

To prove to the armadillo that it could be done......

lol

Common
09-18-2015, 06:37 AM

Yeah weed really screws up reaction time and alcohol :)

We were going to visit one of our daughters years ago, she had a business in Ocean City Maryland. She lived outside the city about 10 miles I guess. It was night time and a deer ran into the side of my left fender, I didnt hit IT, it ran into me and drove me off the road. Luckily we didnt hit anything else. My point is alot of road kill just happens and cant be avoided.

Turtles are different I agree they dont run suddenly in front of you but deer, squirrels, possums, armadillos, dogs cats do and sometimes you just cannot avoid them

donttread
09-19-2015, 09:01 AM
Yeah weed really screws up reaction time and alcohol :)

We were going to visit one of our daughters years ago, she had a business in Ocean City Maryland. She lived outside the city about 10 miles I guess. It was night time and a deer ran into the side of my left fender, I didnt hit IT, it ran into me and drove me off the road. Luckily we didnt hit anything else. My point is alot of road kill just happens and cant be avoided.

Turtles are different I agree they dont run suddenly in front of you but deer, squirrels, possums, armadillos, dogs cats do and sometimes you just cannot avoid them

Deer often run into cars , it;s happened to me at least twice, but it never drive me off the road. What were you driving a smart car?

valley ranch
10-02-2015, 11:21 PM
Years ago we found a turtle on the freeway, we took it to her house and let it go in the back yard, that was right behind the "H" in the Hollywood sign. Last we saw the turtle was heading to the "O" Jenny hi, if you're out there.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always thought that I would be the one that would never hit a deer. One got me, we were on the way through Washoe Valley when on jumped from behind some Aspen trees, she was still in the air when we collided, the pickup back of us hit it also. I wanted to take it, but wifey said: No, we're not showing up at the airport with a deer on the roof.

Redrose
10-02-2015, 11:31 PM

I worked with people in Florida who would actually try to hit them, or cats, real sickos.

PolWatch
10-03-2015, 06:09 AM
We are approaching the time of year when deer are a real danger on the roads. There are some areas around here that have a real problem.....no one (in their right mind) tries to drive over 30 MPH after dark because of herds of deer.

zelmo1234
10-03-2015, 06:30 AM

That is for sure. Serious overpopulation of deer in MI makes certain times of the year down right dangerous.

We have a carrying capacity of about 1 million animals and our herd usually sits at about 1.8 million

But sometimes you just don't have the reaction time, for example if you are following an 18 wheeler. or even a tall van.

While I will always try and avoid hitting anything, I will never swerve out of the lane, and slamming on the breaks sometimes is not possible if you have someone too close to you.

but I hate to see it. I like turtle and have a soft spot for frogs too.

donttread
10-03-2015, 10:07 AM
I worked with people in Florida who would actually try to hit them, or cats, real sickos.

That's messed up.

The Xl
10-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Kings of road kill?

Raisins.

donttread
10-03-2015, 11:14 AM

Crows yes, turtles and cats no. Those crow are fast little bastards though

valley ranch
10-03-2015, 12:54 PM
In Nevada high desert there wild horses now and then on get hit. We hate that, they're so beautiful. They drop be the ranch to eat the Russian Olive trees that hang over the fence, they are welcome to that.

we set up a pond that feed a small water trough outside the fence to encourage their visits.