PDA

View Full Version : Free cats available

OGIS
09-23-2015, 11:35 AM
This is going to sound like a soap opera, but I swear that every word is true.

If you live anywhere within easy driving distance of Santa Ana, Orange County, CA, and love cats... do I have an opportunity for you!

Some background, which hopefully people may find amusing.

When my wife and I were homeless, we became friends with another homeless couple. They were an "odd couple" in that the guy, Ed, is a mid-30s "tough guy" of Filipino ancestry and the woman, Beth, is a mid-50s fun-loving (and very soft-hearted and loving) matronly ex-biker mama who "lived hard" in her 20s.

Soon after we found a place and got our finances back in order, they found a place: crashing in a run-down wreck of an office building in Santa Ana. The owner knows they are there; Ed helps another ex-homeless guy with maintenance and repair labor to the building, and they all get free board in exchange. This is, of course, highly illegal, since the building is not zoned for apartments.

A few years ago they found five abandoned kittens in the wheel well of a truck that someone had abandoned on the property. We took one of them, a small black piece of fluff with random individual white hairs all over. Totally a mongrel, but smart as a whip and absolutely loving. They kept the other four: two males and two females.

Unfortunately, they didn't have any money to get them fixed. So nature has taken its course. More below on that.

There is a church organization that has weekly dinners in the building parking lot. They also help this church with setting up and taking down the tables, food prep areas, etc. And they get food assistance from the church, both for themselves and the cats. But for some reason the church will NOT help with getting the cats fixed.

We tried to help several times, contacting various cat rescue groups, but for a variety of reasons (most involving fear of the SAPD) all of these initiatives have fallen through.

So now there four generations of cats, 30 in all, living in a two bedroom converted office space.

Yes, we know a real life cat lady.

Now, the building owner has sold the property, and the building is slated for demolition. They have to be out by the end of the month. Beth's "Plan B" is to somehow put all the cats into boxes and go back to living on the street. With the cats. There is no Plan A.

As Ed told me last week when I dropped by, they have three sizes: kittens, teens, and mature cats. Every single one of them is - strangely, given then inbreeding - in apparently perfect health. None of them have had any shots. All of them are totally domesticated (they all sleep in Beth's bed with her) and very friendly. None have ever been outdoors, indeed, outside of the bedroom they share with Beth.

I strongly suspect that any new owner(s) will have to deal with some emotional issues concerning new owners and new (and larger) environments. The only humans they have known are Beth and Ed, and the only environment they have known is a bedroom.

The cats are all mongrels, but there are brown tabbies, pale orange cream tabbies, and a full black cat. About 15 of each sex.

So..... if anyone wants one or more free cats, and are close enough to easily get to Santa Ana, send me an email, you can email me at catsandkittensforfree@gmail.com.

Thanks.

PS: also make a response here, so I see it on my regular gmail account.

Truth Detector
09-23-2015, 11:37 AM
http://i.imgur.com/nXd3U.gif

Captain Obvious
09-23-2015, 11:38 AM
You misspelled "Mexicans"

Private Pickle
09-23-2015, 12:02 PM
I LOL'd. Twice.

Call the humane society...

OGIS
09-23-2015, 12:32 PM
I LOL'd. Twice.

Call the humane society...

We did. The problem is that they told us they would have to be accompanied by two armed SAPD. Because, I guess, homeless people are scary.

Private Pickle
09-23-2015, 12:33 PM
We did. The problem is that they told us they would have to be accompanied by two armed SAPD. Because, I guess, homeless people are scary.

They have warrants?

jimmyz
09-23-2015, 01:23 PM
The man is "part Filipino" right. I see meat for a couple months in this situation for the homeless couple. Is a win win. They get fed and we have less bum animals.

Private Pickle
09-23-2015, 01:26 PM
The man is "part Filipino" right. I see meat for a couple months in this situation for the homeless couple. Is a win win. They get fed and we have less bum animals.

Dude....

nathanbforrest45
09-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Dude....

Right, everyone knows Filipinos don't eat cats. They eat monkeys.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Robert A. Heinlein

OGIS
09-23-2015, 04:08 PM
They have warrants?

Who knows? Our friends killed the deal when HS said they would have cops with them.

Probably not, though. SAPD are now, essentially, just uniformed thugs (search YouTube for "Santa Ana pot shop raid sparks investigation") and watch the thug action. I particularly liked the female officer who laughed about kicking the woman in the wheelchair "in the nub"). They don't need no stinkin' warrants.

PolWatch
09-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Wish I could help but I already have my crazy cat lady starter kit.....I live near a park. Some people think that dropping unwanted cats at the park makes them disappear.

We get them fixed if they show up for dinner for more than 2 weeks....the number of drop-in diners has dropped....I think the tom-cat network is warning their friends to stay away from the house with the free food. :grin:

Private Pickle
09-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Who knows? Our friends killed the deal when HS said they would have cops with them.

Probably not, though. SAPD are now, essentially, just uniformed thugs (search YouTube for "Santa Ana pot shop raid sparks investigation") and watch the thug action. I particularly liked the female officer who laughed about kicking the woman in the wheelchair "in the nub"). They don't need no stinkin' warrants.

Well. My suggestion is that they leave the cats in the building, vacate and prior to it's destruction call the SPCA, PETA and whomever else you would like. The cats will be out of there by the end of the day.

Guaranteed if they take those cats with them they will see the majority lost and some die. Not to mention it's not like we want a bunch of fucking feral cats running around spreading real diseases that affect people's legit pets.

OGIS
09-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Wish I could help but I already have my crazy cat lady starter kit.....I live near a park. Some people think that dropping unwanted cats at the park makes them disappear.

We get them fixed if they show up for dinner for more than 2 weeks....the number of drop-in diners has dropped....I think the tom-cat network is warning their friends to stay away from the house with the free food. :grin:

LOL, you owe me a new keyboard.

Thanks for the thought.

OGIS
09-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Well. My suggestion is that they leave the cats in the building, vacate and prior to it's destruction call the SPCA, PETA and whomever else you would like. The cats will be out of there by the end of the day.

Guaranteed if they take those cats with them they will see the majority lost and some die. Not to mention it's not like we want a bunch of $#@!ing feral cats running around spreading real diseases that affect people's legit pets.

That was our suggestion to them.