PDA

View Full Version : The woods

donttread
09-26-2015, 04:09 PM
I got to spend some real outdoor time today which was long overdue. My Brother-in-Law, son and I went out to our hunting area and repaired a few hunting huts and and walked the trails. Something almost magical about just being out there. Lots of bear and deer activity evident in the area

Peter1469
09-26-2015, 06:22 PM
That is a pretty part of the country.

donttread
09-27-2015, 08:59 AM
That is a pretty part of the country.

It is gorgeous about 9 months out of the year. It's gorgeous the other three too, until you get too old to notice in the constant cold and dark.

Peter1469
09-27-2015, 09:00 AM
It is gorgeous about 9 months out of the year. It's gorgeous the other three too, until you get too old to notice in the constant cold and dark.

I did a lot of winter hikes in Upstate NY. I loved it.

donttread
09-27-2015, 11:23 AM
I did a lot of winter hikes in Upstate NY. I loved it.

Yes, occasionally I still snow shoe or late season hunt. But it has to be a day off, because otherwise it's dark and it has to be the right day weather wise.

valley ranch
09-30-2015, 06:48 PM
Sound like our back yard, if I walk just about 600ft west, up the mountain, I'll be on my uncle's property. Uncle Sam. Hundred feet or two more and one would cross a part of the Pony Express trail. I used to go up to the small lakes and fish the Brookies ,Brook Trout, nice pink flesh, firm, the water is cold in these upper lakes. Some are small and you can stand in one spot and cast to anywhere on that lake.
One lake about 45min forced walk and you're there. I'd take pre cooked pilaf, in the morning just as the sun hit the water I'd cast, with two hooks and a small weight on the end, set the rod in the stand and tense the line. The coffee already on the fire and the FryvPan ready, then~BAM they'd hit, lift the rod~ugh set the hook and usually bring in two beauties. Quick clean the Pilaf sizzling and lay them in the pan, nothing smells as good as coffee up in the mountains in the morning.

Wish you were there, wish I was there. The river is about two hundred yards east nice fishing but I'm not as good fishing a river as a lake.

It's great to be out in the woods. We're in the woods as soon as we leave the house.

Have a wonderful day. I used to snowshoe, Vermont Tubbs} just to get out, but I have a snowblower and a tractor now.

We get some snow up here.

Richard