PDA

View Full Version : Can She Be Any More Dense?

Matty
10-02-2015, 01:56 PM
I laughed til my sides split.

http://www.wtrf.com/story/30165401/woman-begs-black-bear-to-stop-kayak-attack

Common Sense
10-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Lol...she really loves that kayak.

Chris
10-02-2015, 02:09 PM
It doesn't even taste good!

Funny!!

Matty
10-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Why is she out in the wilds? She's clearly not cut out for it. Damn bear was supposed to be sleeping.

Common Sense
10-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Why is she out in the wilds? She's clearly not cut out for it. Damn bear was supposed to be sleeping.

I don't know, she didn't run away. I think a lot of people would. I think she just really loves that kayak or maybe really needed it to get back.

I don't know why she didn't just go up and spray it again.

Matty
10-02-2015, 02:21 PM
I don't know, she didn't run away. I think a lot of people would. I think she just really loves that kayak or maybe really needed it to get back.

I don't know why she didn't just go up and spray it again.

There is is a little sail boat off to the right, she probably needed the kayak to get to that.

valley ranch
10-02-2015, 03:20 PM
That bear could just as easily done to her what he did to that kayak.
When I was building my house, we, Gundig, my lab, and I, heard a noise on the porch, we went to the door, swung it open, this cinnamon cub stood up, and backed off the porch, I hadn't put the railings on by then. The house is built on a hill so where he fell it is at least 10' to the ground. He was a cub but he weight more than I did.
He ran away yelling back, I yelled out"I didn't do that." he was balling "yes you did." We would run into each other now and then, both of us would yell and run the other way. Me cause he became a big bear and him because he thought I threw him off the porch when he was a kid.
But there have been some bad bear around between then and now. There are people that get lost and no one sees again in the wilderness, hikers and such, I think that may be what becomes of them.

Green Arrow
10-02-2015, 03:31 PM
"Stop it, bear! Stop it! Bear? Bear? BEAR?! WHY BEAR?!"

LOL. Poor, silly little girl.

Redrose
10-02-2015, 04:12 PM
It doesn't even taste good!

Funny!!

Maybe not to her, but the bear seemed to enjoy it.

What a nit wit. She should be happy he wasn't gnawing on her.

Chris
10-05-2015, 03:52 PM
What she needs is a French Bulldog...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=45&v=PerOmnky0kA

Common Sense
10-05-2015, 03:58 PM
While the woman sounded a bit nuts, I don't see why we should call her a nitwit or a silly girl. She stood up to the bear when I'd wager most of us would run. She was also doing a solo kayak trip so the boat was pretty important to her. How many here have pepper sprayed a bear while on a solo kayak trip in Alaska in the fall?

Bob
10-05-2015, 04:05 PM
While the woman sounded a bit nuts, I don't see why we should call her a nitwit or a silly girl. She stood up to the bear when I'd wager most of us would run. She was also doing a solo kayak trip so the boat was pretty important to her. How many here have pepper sprayed a bear while on a solo kayak trip in Alaska in the fall?

Pepper spray from that distance? Why didn't it work then?

Gun

She needed a gun. First for the noise and next if in danger, to save her own life. Telling a bear it is destroying her Kayak accomplished nothing. Pleading with it makes little sense.

Chloe
10-05-2015, 04:23 PM

Gun

She needed a gun. First for the noise and next if in danger, to save her own life. Telling a bear it is destroying her Kayak accomplished nothing. Pleading with it makes little sense.

The bear spray did work though. The bear went away from her when she sprayed and instead went to the kayak. Most bear sprays can spray anywhere from 20 to 30 to even 40 feet. Her spray did the job and kept her safe as well as the bear. When it comes to talking to a bear often times a human voice can scare off a bear and so what she was saying was ok in my opinion. It's worth trying if in that situation.

Common Sense
10-05-2015, 04:24 PM

Gun

She may have had a gun. She also may have thought that she didn't need to shoot the bear.

Chloe
10-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Lol...she really loves that kayak.

One of my kayaks is similar to that one. It would be worth trying to save from a bear, to an extent of course.

Bob
10-05-2015, 04:28 PM
The bear spray did work though. The bear went away from her when she sprayed and instead went to the kayak. Most bear sprays can spray anywhere from 20 to 30 to even 40 feet. Her spray did the job and kept her safe as well as the bear. When it comes to talking to a bear often times a human voice can scare off a bear and so what she was saying was ok in my opinion. It's worth trying if in that situation.

Well, she sure persuaded the bear to keep her Kayak safe is how i read you.

Bob
10-05-2015, 04:30 PM
She may have had a gun. She also may have thought that she didn't need to shoot the bear.

She may have hand a float airplane too, but I did not see one.

Chloe
10-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Well, she sure persuaded the bear to keep her Kayak safe is how i read you.

She tried and did what she could, but at the end of the day she could only do so much. They are both alive and well though now and that's all that matters.

Bob
10-05-2015, 04:33 PM
She tried and did what she could, but at the end of the day she could only do so much. They are both alive and well though now and that's all that matters.

She needs some serious training.

Common Sense
10-05-2015, 04:34 PM
She may have hand a float airplane too, but I did not see one.

Since she was on a solo kayak trip I assume she didn't have a float plane.

Common Sense
10-05-2015, 04:35 PM

Let me guess, you have bear training as well?

Chloe
10-05-2015, 04:36 PM

In what exactly? She did a good job in my opinion. She used her bear spray appropriately, she didn't run away, and didn't put herself in an unreasonable risk to save her kayak which was a lifeline to her boat in the bay.

Chloe
10-05-2015, 04:37 PM

She had a boat floating in the bay and swam back to it when the bear left.

Private Pickle
10-05-2015, 04:47 PM
She had a boat floating in the bay and swam back to it when the bear left.

It wasn't hers, it was just a sailing vessel that was anchored in the bay.

I bet that was a cold swim.

Chloe
10-05-2015, 04:51 PM
It wasn't hers, it was just a sailing vessel that was anchored in the bay.

I bet that was a cold swim.

Probably was a cold swim, but I would have swam it too if it meant not risking my life for my kayak or killing or wounding the bear for a kayak.

Private Pickle
10-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Probably was a cold swim, but I would have swam it too if it meant not risking my life for my kayak or killing or wounding the bear for a kayak.

Very noble right up to the point you find yourself reliving the Titanic...

Chloe
10-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Very noble right up to the point you find yourself reliving the Titanic...

lol I wouldn't take an unrealistic or unreasonable risk. It's also about just knowing your options and your surroundings. Give me more credit then that.

Bob
10-05-2015, 05:15 PM

I commented because you blurted this out.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Common Sense http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=1281854#post1281854)

Bob
10-05-2015, 05:22 PM
In what exactly? She did a good job in my opinion. She used her bear spray appropriately, she didn't run away, and didn't put herself in an unreasonable risk to save her kayak which was a lifeline to her boat in the bay.

People are laughing at the video. She made sure she kept the bear aware she still stood there, making noises at the bear who no doubt fully understood her. ha ha ha

She survived so you must be correct.

Matty
10-05-2015, 05:35 PM
That water is so cold I doubt she could have swam to the sailboat.

Chloe
10-05-2015, 05:41 PM
People are laughing at the video. She made sure she kept the bear aware she still stood there, making noises at the bear who no doubt fully understood her. ha ha ha

She survived so you must be correct.

Being made fun of by others doesn't make that person wrong, and it's very common practice to speak out loud while hiking in bear country using human words and so it's very reasonable to do the same when the bear is visible. Bob, my physical appearance may look soft but I can assure you that I am knowledgable of a lot of things when it comes to wilderness topics and I've spent plenty of time hiking, camping and kayaking in bear country here in Oregon, in Washington, British Columbia and Alaska. I'm not trying to fight or anything like that I promise, but I'm not wrong about this.

Chloe
10-05-2015, 05:42 PM

The article said that she did

Private Pickle
10-05-2015, 05:44 PM
Being made fun of by others doesn't make that person wrong, and it's very common practice to speak out loud while hiking in bear country using human words and so it's very reasonable to do the same when the bear is visible. Bob, my physical appearance may look soft but I can assure you that I am knowledgable of a lot of things when it comes to wilderness topics and I've spent plenty of time hiking, camping and kayaking in bear country here in Oregon, in Washington, British Columbia and Alaska. I'm not trying to fight it anything like that I promise, but I'm not wrong about this.

Obviously the video is somewhat funny because of what she was saying... But you are correct that she did all the right things. Bear spray worked enough to keep the bear at bay...she probably could have gotten closer to spray it again to save her kayak but without a gun I wouldn't have done that either...

After watching it again I felt bad for her as she is so obviously scared and on the verge of tears.

Private Pickle
10-05-2015, 05:45 PM

Can I ask what the aversion to reading a 3 minute article? I'm genuinely interested...

Matty
10-05-2015, 05:56 PM
The article said that she did

Yes it did. I am skeptical of the whole incident it all sounds so far fetched. Especially the way she talks to the bear. If there was a cabin behind her the prudent thing to have done was to retreat. After the spray of course.

Matty
10-05-2015, 05:56 PM
Yes it did. I am skeptical of the whole incident it all sounds so far fetched. Especially the way she talks to the bear. If there was a cabin behind her the prudent thing to have done was to retreat. After the spray of course.

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/alaska.html

Private Pickle
10-05-2015, 06:09 PM

Something tells me she wore the waterproof clothes for kayaking...

There is obviously a walk way there leading to most likely a cabin unless you think it just leads into the Alaskan wild. In addition, you can see the boat in the background...

All in all why would they out out a false story?

Bob
10-05-2015, 06:46 PM
Being made fun of by others doesn't make that person wrong, and it's very common practice to speak out loud while hiking in bear country using human words and so it's very reasonable to do the same when the bear is visible. Bob, my physical appearance may look soft but I can assure you that I am knowledgable of a lot of things when it comes to wilderness topics and I've spent plenty of time hiking, camping and kayaking in bear country here in Oregon, in Washington, British Columbia and Alaska. I'm not trying to fight or anything like that I promise, but I'm not wrong about this.

Chloe, do you want to know your actual case?

Chloe has done it all. Bob knows nothing at all about hiking and camping.

That is your case in summary.

But let me disabuse you of your belief.

Chloe, starting in 1950, as a kid, I was introduced to the wildnerness and spent 2 full weeks there as a boy.

It got me excited to join the Boy Scouts of America. I also learned survival there and much more. I camped out all the time. I have faced bears in the woods.

I can go on an on but believe me, I have hiked and camped out for many many decades.

I am not sure you argue my points so much as prove you really don't like me one bit.

I tried paying you compliments and got a deaf ear.

At least I did try.

I can't recall telling you a thing about your skills in the woods. I believe you have hiked a lot. I don't know how much time you have living in tents and staying out in the woods for up to several weeks. But I have done that.

Bob
10-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Something tells me she wore the waterproof clothes for kayaking...

There is obviously a walk way there leading to most likely a cabin unless you think it just leads into the Alaskan wild. In addition, you can see the boat in the background...

All in all why would they out out a false story?

While I don't believe she could get a bear to stage an attack on the Kayak, something does not ring true.

Read the comments again that come with the video.

At least she got it video on the phone i believe.

Private Pickle
10-05-2015, 06:53 PM
While I don't believe she could get a bear to stage an attack on the Kayak, something does not ring true.

Thing is Bob...I prefer to go with the journalist, source and witnesses vs. your perceived truths or non-truths...

Chloe
10-05-2015, 07:04 PM
Chloe, do you want to know your actual case?

Chloe has done it all. Bob knows nothing at all about hiking and camping.

That is your case in summary.

But let me disabuse you of your belief.

Chloe, starting in 1950, as a kid, I was introduced to the wildnerness and spent 2 full weeks there as a boy.

It got me excited to join the Boy Scouts of America. I also learned survival there and much more. I camped out all the time. I have faced bears in the woods.

I can go on an on but believe me, I have hiked and camped out for many many decades.

I am not sure you argue my points so much as prove you really don't like me one bit.

I tried paying you compliments and got a deaf ear.

At least I did try.

I can't recall telling you a thing about your skills in the woods. I believe you have hiked a lot. I don't know how much time you have living in tents and staying out in the woods for up to several weeks. But I have done that.

Well with all that experience then you must know that i'm right.....not that YOU are wrong....but that I am right in that she didn't do anything wrong. Agreeing won't kill you Bob.

Bob
10-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Well with all that experience then you must know that i'm right.....not that YOU are wrong....but that I am right in that she didn't do anything wrong. Agreeing won't kill you Bob.

She did nothing wrong. Where did you think I said she had done wrong?

I slept through a bear attack on the tent with the food. Woke up to see the destruction. Bears can be very dangerous.

Chloe
10-05-2015, 07:10 PM
She did nothing wrong. Where did you think I said she had done wrong?

I slept through a bear attack on the tent with the food. Woke up to see the destruction. Bears can be very dangerous.

I didn't say that you said she did anything wrong. I have said from the start that she didn't do anything wrong yet you are debating me on that point. You are making more out of my comments than I ever intended.

Dr. Who
10-05-2015, 07:46 PM
I laughed til my sides split.

http://www.wtrf.com/story/30165401/woman-begs-black-bear-to-stop-kayak-attack
If I were the bear I would have run a mile from her whining, but that's just me. If you are out in the woods in bear country I can't imagine not having a shot gun or rifle. Firing one into the air would have scared off the bear, sparing her kayak. The woman seemed rather ridiculous to me.

Matty
10-05-2015, 08:01 PM
If I were the bear I would have run a mile from her whining, but that's just me. If you are out in the woods in bear country I can't imagine not having a shot gun or rifle. Firing one into the air would have scared off the bear, sparing her kayak. The woman seemed rather ridiculous to me.

I'm with you. Her voice made me nuts.

Bob
10-05-2015, 09:21 PM
I didn't say that you said she did anything wrong. I have said from the start that she didn't do anything wrong yet you are debating me on that point. You are making more out of my comments than I ever intended.

No, I am debating on her being there all alone screaming at a bear ruining her Kayak. You have nothing to do with that.

Here Chloe, this is pretty much my point.

Read her say it.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Dr. Who http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=1282182#post1282182)

Bob
10-05-2015, 09:29 PM
Let me guess, you have bear training as well?

Not really. But I was not caught alone by a bear in Alaska. In my defense, I do watch a lot of nature programa and note some others that confronted bears were killed by them.

As a teen boy scout, the scout master took the boys on an overnight hike. I was senior leader and stayed back to keep an eye on the SM tent where he had food. He should have had bear proof containers but did not.

I and the other scout woke up and came out to find the tent was seriously damaged by a bear. We did not even hear the bear doing the damage. This other kid confronted a bear close to the stream and froze in fear. He and the bear suddenly bolted in opposite directions and he came back and informed me. I know bears are dangerous.

OGIS
10-18-2015, 08:12 AM

Are you sure about that?