PDA

View Full Version : OK, here's the newest Star Wars trailer

OGIS
10-19-2015, 09:23 PM
Uploaded just minutes ago, presumably recorded from the ESPN airing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

Crepitus
10-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Looks pretty cool. I (and a lot of other people apparently) was kinda worried what a disney star wars would be like.

Doublejack
10-20-2015, 12:32 AM
Nerdgasm

Peter1469
10-20-2015, 05:10 AM
I need to catch up, I haven't seen the last few.

Ravens Fan
10-20-2015, 06:53 AM
I saw that last night. I was worried too about Disney ruining it, but if this trailer is a true representation of the film, I cannot wait.

It sent chills through me when they started playing Han Solo's theme. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets
10-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Very cool. That all I gotta say!!

Crepitus
10-21-2015, 07:39 PM
Question: I thought the stormtroopers were all clones of one guy, who was not black.

Doublejack
10-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Just the early stormtroopers were clones. Later on Palpatine simply needed more troops. That's why most of them can't hit the broad side of a deathstar. Original troopers ended up as platoon leaders and shit.

OGIS
10-23-2015, 12:44 PM
Just the early stormtroopers were clones. Later on Palpatine simply needed more troops. That's why most of them can't hit the broad side of a deathstar. Original troopers ended up as platoon leaders and $#@!.

Is that Word-of-God? Or just EU fancanon?

Crepitus
10-23-2015, 01:18 PM
Just the early stormtroopers were clones. Later on Palpatine simply needed more troops. That's why most of them can't hit the broad side of a deathstar. Original troopers ended up as platoon leaders and shit.
Ah. I did not know that.

HoneyBadger
10-23-2015, 01:26 PM

Skip the prequels.

Doublejack
10-26-2015, 11:09 PM
Is that Word-of-God? Or just EU fancanon?

I believe it's the word of god? I made the mistake of pointing out the fallacy of a black storm trooper on a more 'geeky' oriented site and got cut down by seemingly dozens of jedi-wanna-be's.

According to them it's gospel. I never did any further research though. They were pretty convincing.

OGIS
10-26-2015, 11:18 PM
I believe it's the word of god? I made the mistake of pointing out the fallacy of a black storm trooper on a more 'geeky' oriented site and got cut down by seemingly dozens of jedi-wanna-be's.

According to them it's gospel. I never did any further research though. They were pretty convincing.

Fanaticism does not a god make. WOG "comes from someone considered to be the ultimate authority, such as the creator, director, or producer. Such edicts can even go against events as were broadcast, due to someone making a mistake."
---- http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WordOfGod

My understanding is that SW7 throws out a whole bunch of fandom EU assumptions and background. And retconning any of it looks iffy.

There is a disturbance in the force....

Apologies for the TVTropes link. Be sure to take breadcrumbs and a bottle of water.

Doublejack
10-27-2015, 11:34 PM
Can't believe you forced me to dig this up. Although I did have a good time getting lost in Star Wars clips for the last couple hours :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon The Star Wars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars) canon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_(fiction)) is what is officially regarded as "canonical", or officially part of a story, in the Star Wars media franchise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7avS7ow5Uks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV7Ha3VDbzE

OGIS
10-28-2015, 12:38 AM
Can't believe you forced me to dig this up. Although I did have a good time getting lost in Star Wars clips for the last couple hours :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7avS7ow5Uks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV7Ha3VDbzE

The 2nd one was deadly spot on. USA! USA! USA! We're the new evil empire. Beck was right, but not for his stupid reason (the satanic statue troll).

Doublejack
10-29-2015, 12:47 PM
Fanaticism does not a god make. WOG "comes from someone considered to be the ultimate authority, such as the creator, director, or producer. Such edicts can even go against events as were broadcast, due to someone making a mistake."
---- http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WordOfGod

My understanding is that SW7 throws out a whole bunch of fandom EU assumptions and background. And retconning any of it looks iffy.

There is a disturbance in the force....

Apologies for the TVTropes link. Be sure to take breadcrumbs and a bottle of water.

Ahh... just read this a bit closer. It seems you've already put much more thought into the SW saga than I have.

I was looking at it from a 'legal' standpoint but yea, I suppose the entire back story has been written by various authors and not George "God".

Similar to religions... Hey maybe in a couple thousand years people will be worshiping the Force?

Crepitus
10-29-2015, 12:54 PM
Ahh... just read this a bit closer. It seems you've already put much more thought into the SW saga than I have.

I was looking at it from a 'legal' standpoint but yea, I suppose the entire back story has been written by various authors and not George "God".

Similar to religions... Hey maybe in a couple thousand years people will be worshiping the Force?
There's some folks who are a thousand years ahead of their time then.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2465445/Jediism-THOUSANDS-believe-religion-based-Star-Wars-franchise.html

OGIS
10-29-2015, 02:46 PM

Or George.

IMPress Polly
11-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Peter wrote:

Honeybadger wrote:
Skip the prequels.

The original Star Wars trilogy has become culturally iconic because the original was just the right film for the right time. Hollywood insiders predicted that the 1977 Star Wars film would flop and were proven completely and utterly wrong. What they hadn't understood was the pent up demand out there for something to believe in. That's what Star Wars tapped into. One has to remember that the first movie came out just a few years after Watergate; at a time when that aura still hung heavy in the air. The nation felt corrupted by that whole affair and was in bad want of something pure and clean. The election of a relatively obscure baptist pastor to the presidency the preceding year was surely an indication of that. Watergate was a watershed moment in American history. Before Watergate, most Americans, when surveyed, indicated basic trust in the government and other major institutions. Watergate changed that fundamentally, apparently forever. The age of cynicism had begun.

Into this vacuum of faith stepped one George Lucas. He had on offer just what the public wanted: reassurance that purity exists and that it triumphs over evil. Moreover, as the trilogy unfolded, we learned that good does not triumph over evil because it is more powerful (as in your standard Western), but because it cultivates the compassion in others and thus wins over even those who seem not to possess it. Crucial to its success was its appeal to faith, but not to faith of the old kind, but a New Age type of belief that would appeal to the youth, not just the old. Hence the Force.

The trilogy was political too. The Empire and the Death Star, the symbols of evil in the trilogy, seem to represent empires in general in many ways. Allusions to Nazi Germany are obvious when the Empire's soldiers are called Storm Troopers and the destruction of entire societies in giant blasts, and the threat of that from the Death Star, surely allude to things like the atomic bomb, the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and to the Cold War that was in full swing at the time. Nazi Germany is the Empire. The Soviet Union is the Empire. The United States of America is the Empire. Indeed modernity itself is the Empire in many ways, with the certain romance that surrounds lightsabers and how they're cast as "weapon[s] for a more civilized age" in contrast to the "random blaster" of modern times. What the Empire truly represents though is the desire to control others, as well illustrated in the famous metaphor concerning a ball of sand that one holds in their hand. It is that whole idea. Evil is also exemplified both by a "lack of faith" (e.g. most of the Empire's leaders) and by the malicious use of faith (e.g. the Emperor). Good, by contrast, is represented by loyalty, courage, and by a kind of faith that's about liberation, and it's about self-mastery in the form of allowing compassion to override one's natural instincts. Return of the Jedi in particular harkened to the peaceful resistance of the likes of Mahatma Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King in this sense.

The interesting thing about the prequel series of 1999-2005 in my mind is that it's rather the thematic opposite of the original trilogy in some ways. Where the original trilogy revolved around promoting faith, the prequel trilogy essentially revolved around encouraging one to question and doubt. It's perhaps to this end that the prequel trilogy is less universally loved. Personally though, I think it's worth one's time if only for that reason; if only to see how Lucas strives to connect that message up with, and tie it into, his previous trilogy about faith in a way that seeks balance between the two seemingly opposite life lessons.

The essential thing, politically speaking, that Lucas was obviously aiming to convey in the prequel trilogy is the process of how the dictators of history -- Lucas in interviews cited Julius Caesar, Napoleon Bonaparte, and Adolf Hitler -- have ascended to power. To this end, the prequel trilogy, and especially its final installment, Revenge of the Sith, seemed to be more appreciated by liberals and leftists opposed the Bush Administration than it was by conservatives. (To be clear, NO installment in the prequel trilogy was crafted as a commentary on the George W. Bush presidency though, as some speculated. Lucas pointed out that the basic story arc had been developed in the early 1980s. It just seemed like a timely message to people like me.)

There are some aspects of the prequel trilogy though that really do deserve some universal criticism, particularly as regards the first two installments. Namely an excessive dependence on stylized action sequences that feels rather too commercial and a continued pattern of abysmal writing. (Think lines like "Is it possible to learn this power?") These elements helped the first two installments especially feel to many as simply lazy attempts at cashing in on the franchise's name. Lucas is, after all, no stranger to commercial opportunism. It was none other than he who indeed first made film-based mass merchandising into its own agenda, starting a rather irritating trend that continues across multiple entertainment mediums to this day. Fortunately though, the final installment in the prequel trilogy, Revenge of the Sith, gives Star Wars back its due serious aura and emotion, to say nothing of stunning plot twists that really do cause one to think! It makes enduring the first two mediocre productions in the trilogy well worth it!

It's hard to tell what themes may pervade the upcoming Star Wars trilogy, but the trailers, to say nothing of the first installment's title, The Force Awakens, seem to suggest something of a return to the faith theme of the first trilogy. A significant broadening of the demographic appeal is also apparent, which seems fitting. After all, the first trilogy in particular made its share of effort to appeal to the youth and their values, so it feels only traditional of the franchise to continue doing so vis-a-vis the current generation and its values, with its heightened appreciation for multiculturalism, feminism, etc. Most importantly though, from these trailers we've seen so far, we get the impression that Disney is taking the Star Wars seriously and with conviction. We feel an aura of drama, of emotion, of cross-generational broad-mindedness, and yes of want to believe in something greater than ourselves therein. In all these ways, Star Wars may once again today be just the right franchise for just the right time today. I'm definitely looking forward to it, as I think is nearly every human being on the face of the Earth!

OGIS
11-07-2015, 03:11 PM
The original Star Wars trilogy has become culturally iconic because the original was just the right film for the right time. Hollywood insiders predicted that the 1977 Star Wars film would flop and were proven completely and utterly wrong. What they hadn't understood was the pent up demand out there for something to believe in. That's what Star Wars tapped into. One has to remember that the first movie came out just a few years after Watergate; at a time when that aura still hung heavy in the air. The nation felt corrupted by that whole affair and was in bad want of something pure and clean. The election of a relatively obscure baptist pastor to the presidency the preceding year was surely an indication of that. Watergate was a watershed moment in American history. Before Watergate, most Americans, when surveyed, indicated basic trust in the government and other major institutions. Watergate changed that fundamentally, apparently forever. The age of cynicism had begun.

Into this vacuum of faith stepped one George Lucas. He had on offer just what the public wanted: reassurance that purity exists and that it triumphs over evil. Moreover, as the trilogy unfolded, we learned that good does not triumph over evil because it is more powerful (as in your standard Western), but because it cultivates the compassion in others and thus wins over even those who seem not to possess it. Crucial to its success was its appeal to faith, but not to faith of the old kind, but a New Age type of belief that would appeal to the youth, not just the old. Hence the Force.

The trilogy was political too. The Empire and the Death Star, the symbols of evil in the trilogy, seem to represent empires in general in many ways. Allusions to Nazi Germany are obvious when the Empire's soldiers are called Storm Troopers and the destruction of entire societies in giant blasts, and the threat of that from the Death Star, surely allude to things like the atomic bomb, the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and to the Cold War that was in full swing at the time. Nazi Germany is the Empire. The Soviet Union is the Empire. The United States of America is the Empire. Indeed modernity itself is the Empire in many ways, with the certain romance that surrounds lightsabers and how they're cast as "weapon[s] for a more civilized age" in contrast to the "random blaster" of modern times. What the Empire truly represents though is the desire to control others, as well illustrated in the famous metaphor concerning a ball of sand that one holds in their hand. It is that whole idea. Evil is also exemplified both by a "lack of faith" (e.g. most of the Empire's leaders) and by the malicious use of faith (e.g. the Emperor). Good, by contrast, is represented by loyalty, courage, and by a kind of faith that's about liberation, and it's about self-mastery in the form of allowing compassion to override one's natural instincts. Return of the Jedi in particular harkened to the peaceful resistance of the likes of Mahatma Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King in this sense.

The interesting thing about the prequel series of 1999-2005 in my mind is that it's rather the thematic opposite of the original trilogy in some ways. Where the original trilogy revolved around promoting faith, the prequel trilogy essentially revolved around encouraging one to question and doubt. It's perhaps to this end that the prequel trilogy is less universally loved. Personally though, I think it's worth one's time if only for that reason; if only to see how Lucas strives to connect that message up with, and tie it into, his previous trilogy about faith in a way that seeks balance between the two seemingly opposite life lessons.

The essential thing, politically speaking, that Lucas was obviously aiming to convey in the prequel trilogy is the process of how the dictators of history -- Lucas in interviews cited Julius Caesar, Napoleon Bonaparte, and Adolf Hitler -- have ascended to power. To this end, the prequel trilogy, and especially its final installment, Revenge of the Sith, seemed to be more appreciated by liberals and leftists opposed the Bush Administration than it was by conservatives. (To be clear, NO installment in the prequel trilogy was crafted as a commentary on the George W. Bush presidency though, as some speculated. Lucas pointed out that the basic story arc had been developed in the early 1980s. It just seemed like a timely message to people like me.)

There are some aspects of the prequel trilogy though that really do deserve some universal criticism, particularly as regards the first two installments. Namely an excessive dependence on stylized action sequences that feels rather too commercial and a continued pattern of abysmal writing. (Think lines like "Is it possible to learn this power?") These elements helped the first two installments especially feel to many as simply lazy attempts at cashing in on the franchise's name. Lucas is, after all, no stranger to commercial opportunism. It was none other than he who indeed first made film-based mass merchandising into its own agenda, starting a rather irritating trend that continues across multiple entertainment mediums to this day. Fortunately though, the final installment in the prequel trilogy, Revenge of the Sith, gives Star Wars back its due serious aura and emotion, to say nothing of stunning plot twists that really do cause one to think! It makes enduring the first two mediocre productions in the trilogy well worth it!

It's hard to tell what themes may pervade the upcoming Star Wars trilogy, but the trailers, to say nothing of the first installment's title, The Force Awakens, seem to suggest something of a return to the faith theme of the first trilogy. A significant broadening of the demographic appeal is also apparent, which seems fitting. After all, the first trilogy in particular made its share of effort to appeal to the youth and their values, so it feels only traditional of the franchise to continue doing so vis-a-vis the current generation and its values, with its heightened appreciation for multiculturalism, feminism, etc. Most importantly though, from these trailers we've seen so far, we get the impression that Disney is taking the Star Wars seriously and with conviction. We feel an aura of drama, of emotion, of cross-generational broad-mindedness, and yes of want to believe in something greater than ourselves therein. In all these ways, Star Wars may once again today be just the right franchise for just the right time today. I'm definitely looking forward to it, as I think is nearly every human being on the face of the Earth!

Absolutely brilliant. Is that your own analysis, or are you paraphrasing another?

IMPress Polly
11-07-2015, 03:23 PM
It's mine. I just write about these things like a film critic 'cause I'm a wannabe. Anyway, thank you very much! :smiley: