PDA

View Full Version : Cheney Still Supports Waterboarding

Pendragon
09-07-2011, 02:42 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/29/dick-cheney-book_n_940576.html#s342992&title=On_Waterboarding_No

In his new book, former Vice President Dick Cheney said he has "no regrets" about waterboarding detainees to get answers in the wake of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks.

Cheney and others in the Bush administration have been criticized for supporting the use of the harsh interrogation technique that involves repeatedly pouring water over a detainee's face to create the sensation of drowning.

During an interview with NBC about the memoir, Cheney said, "I would strongly support using it again if circumstances arose where we had a high-value detainee and that was the only way we could get him to talk."

It looks like he still has not learned a thing.

Mister D
09-07-2011, 02:43 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/29/dick-cheney-book_n_940576.html#s342992&title=On_Waterboarding_No

In his new book, former Vice President Dick Cheney said he has "no regrets" about waterboarding detainees to get answers in the wake of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks.

Cheney and others in the Bush administration have been criticized for supporting the use of the harsh interrogation technique that involves repeatedly pouring water over a detainee's face to create the sensation of drowning.

During an interview with NBC about the memoir, Cheney said, "I would strongly support using it again if circumstances arose where we had a high-value detainee and that was the only way we could get him to talk."

About what?

Pendragon
09-07-2011, 02:45 PM
His myriad mistakes.

Captain Obvious
09-07-2011, 06:54 PM
"Red is positive, black is negative and make sure his nuts are wet"

Mister D
09-07-2011, 07:11 PM
The neocons sucked at waterboarding. ::) The Nazis and Imperial Japanese were committed to excellence.

During World War II both Japanese troops, especially the Kempeitai, and the officers of the Gestapo,[106] the German secret police, used waterboarding as a method of torture.[107] During the Japanese occupation of Singapore the Double Tenth Incident occurred. This included waterboarding, by the method of binding or holding down the victim on his back, placing a cloth over his mouth and nose, and pouring water onto the cloth. In this version, interrogation continued during the torture, with the interrogators beating the victim if he did not reply and the victim swallowing water if he opened his mouth to answer or breathe. When the victim could ingest no more water, the interrogators would beat or jump on his distended stomach.[108][109][110]

Conley
09-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Commitment to excellence...that is so wrong but I admit I laughed pretty hard :D

Captain Obvious
09-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Just think what Blackwater could accomplish.

Actually, that's a dark statement. I can't say I condone torture but I also can't say I can either defend or prosecute the act when we are at war with those who throw humanism aside.

What argument can be made against torturing a member who supports like acts when the innocent who are often subjects to such acts are at stake?

It's a complicated and undefined concept.

Conley
09-07-2011, 08:20 PM
My problems with torture are more practical than ethical. People will say anything when they're getting tortured.

Mister D
09-07-2011, 08:37 PM
My problems with torture are more practical than ethical. People will say anything when they're getting tortured.

From what I understand, waterboarding and torture in general is designed to break resistance not to get information. During the water boarding sessions, for example, the prisoner was only asked questions the torturers already knew the answers to. The point is to gauge the prisoners cooperation.

Juggernaut
09-08-2011, 05:55 AM

Cheney is right and so are Obama and Clinton, all 3 have tortured, I'll post the facts from lib sources later. Its just water, no bruises nor broken bones. I've done it. Its comparable to inhaling as water inhaled when diving in the water.

KSM counted the time between water boardings, it was a joke to him. They should have used beer while eating ham sandwiches just to rile him up. ;)

http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshgerstein/0511/Bush_aide_KSM_counted_seconds_during_waterboarding .html

The admitted mastermind of the September 11 attacks, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, mocked his Central Intelligence Agency captors by signaling that he knew exactly how long they were permitted to carry out a harsh interrogation technique known as waterboarding, a Bush White House official said Monday.

"KSM figured out waterboarding. He figured out the limits," Marc Theissen, a speechwriter for President George W. Bush, said during a panel discussion at the American Enterprise Institute in Washington. KSM "actually mocked his interrogators by holding out his arm and counting off the seconds with his hand. He knew exactly how far we could go and when the terrorists know how far you can go it’s very very hard to break them."

MMC
09-08-2011, 06:58 AM

From what I understand, waterboarding and torture in general is designed to break resistance not to get information. During the water boarding sessions, for example, the prisoner was only asked questions the torturers already knew the answers to. The point is to gauge the prisoners cooperation.

You would be correct D..... ;)

Mister D
09-08-2011, 08:23 AM

This is not to say that I approve of torture morally. I'm just a little skeptical of the argument that people will confess anything under duress. Obtaining information isn't the point of torture.

MMC
09-08-2011, 08:32 AM

This is not to say that I approve of torture morally. I'm just a little skeptical of the argument that people will confess anything under duress. Obtaining information isn't the point of torture.

Ever see the movie Ronin with DeNiro. It's like he says in that movie. No one can hold out forever. People talk about the water boarding. But the use of drugs is far more effective when wanting to get one to talk.

Mister D
09-08-2011, 08:36 AM

Ever see the movie Ronin with DeNiro. It's like he says in that movie. No one can hold out forever. People talk about the water boarding. But the use of drugs is far more effective when wanting to get one to talk.

That makes sense.

I also get the impression that some torture occured because those doing it were psychopaths. The point is not to get information but simply to inflict pain. I seriously doubt that Gestapo agents were always seeking information.

MMC
09-08-2011, 08:50 AM

That makes sense.

I also get the impression that some torture occured because those doing it were psychopaths. The point is not to get information but simply to inflict pain. I seriously doubt that Gestapo agents were always seeking information.

I am sure those who were not walking in righteousness. Would take advantage of the situations they were in. Over whomever that fell within their grasp. Including women and children.

Conley
09-08-2011, 08:54 AM

Yep, that makes a lot more sense than the way I was thinking of it. I'd be a crappy interrogator :-\ :D

Mister D
09-08-2011, 08:56 AM

Yep, that makes a lot more sense than the way I was thinking of it. I'd be a crappy interrogator :-\ :D

You'd have to be a little twisted, IMO. I don't think you can get normal people to do that. It takes a special kind of guy...

MMC
09-08-2011, 09:04 AM

You'd have to be a little twisted, IMO. I don't think you can get normal people to do that. It takes a special kind of guy...

Sure hope that don't include that guy who poops all over himself..... :D >:D

Mister D
09-08-2011, 09:06 AM

You could employ your poop defense if you get tortured. They won;t want to touch you after that. ;D

Conley
09-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Oh gawd it's the return of the Corn Pooper!!

:o :o :o

MMC
09-08-2011, 09:13 AM

You could employ your poop defense if you get tortured. They won;t want to touch you after that. ;D

No that won't work then. Anything after the fact of abduction. They will just wear masks from that point. That has to be done right when they grabs ya. Maybe give you a few seconds to get out of it. :D

Mister D
09-08-2011, 09:23 AM

No that won't work then. Anything after the fact of abduction. They will just wear masks from that point. That has to be done right when they grabs ya. Maybe give you a few seconds to get out of it. :D

Souunds like you have tried this technique before! :o

MMC
09-08-2011, 09:30 AM

Nah not me.....I got my ass beat and I got caught. Then the only sound I kept hearing was that Baretta jingle.....Don't do the crime if ya can't do the time. Don't do it! Then my thought.....to late! ;)

Mister D
09-08-2011, 09:58 AM

Nah not me.....I got my ass beat and I got caught. Then the only sound I kept hearing was that Baretta jingle.....Don't do the crime if ya can't do the time. Don't do it! Then my thought.....to late! ;)

;D