PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see the space station tonight?

Captain Obvious
08-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Or last night?

We were heading home from dinner earlier and I didn't know about it, my wife tells me the space station is visible in a few minutes.

So we stood out in the street in Pittsburgh watching the sky. Great night, clear. Out of the north/east it appeared. Racing across the sky, that thing was moving. We watched it - brighter than any other star aside from the moon. Took a pic of it, not sure if it came out though. For about 2 minutes it moved across the sky - west to east, just hugging somewhat north, then it flickered suddenly and vanished.

It was fucking awesome. Me and the kid were walking up the street backwards to maintain view. Neighbors probably thought we were a couple of tards.

Goldie Locks
08-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Cool...didn't know about it. Sounds like it looked like a falling star or meteorite.

Captain Obvious
08-24-2012, 09:12 PM
It was a lot brighter than I expected. It's a clear night, really visible.

Wifey said it would flicker out in mid sky, it dipped a bit into the east for a while then flickered away.

JohnAdams
08-24-2012, 10:28 PM
The space Station is visible from earth many many times throughout the year...albeit differing places, at differing times of the year, (as are other sattelites we've placed in orbit) so not to be a smart aleck oir anytihng, I"m not really understanding what was special about tonight?

Captain Obvious
08-24-2012, 10:29 PM
First time I saw it, scrooge.

Trinnity
08-25-2012, 01:36 AM
Didn't know. Man, I wish I had. <pout>

roadmaster
08-25-2012, 02:57 AM
Didn't know. Man, I wish I had. <pout>

Well It was raining here so doubt I could have.

Trinnity
08-25-2012, 03:03 AM
Here too. But I'd have missed it anyway.