PDA

View Full Version : Interesting passage from NRO

Mister D
09-08-2011, 12:31 PM
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/276497/ten-years-later-new-world-michael-novak?page=3

People in the West, especially the intellectuals, have down through modern history mocked the Church, and the culture of Christianity itself. Yet, secularists borrow all the best ideas they have, not from Plato and Aristotle and the greatest of the Roman pagan sages, but from the revelation of Jesus Christ. For instance, the ideals of personal liberty, fraternity, and equality.

These are not pagan ideals, or secular ideals, as Jürgen Habermas out of admirable honesty insists. Rather, they have been refracted through a complex history by the amazing brilliance of Jesus the Teacher of Human Dignity. The human being, no matter how humble, is made in the image of God, right in the core of her or his being, and infinitely loved by God. At the heart of things is human weakness and even cruelty and evil — but also mercy, and the knowledge that our Creator wants to be known as our Father, and bids us to be attentive, kind, and generous to the poor and the weakest, above all. So taught not the pagans, but Jesus.

Pendragon
09-08-2011, 12:53 PM
The story of Jesus is itself a recycling and retelling of popular fables and myths of the time and prior generations.

There is nothing new in the Bible as we know it.

Mister D
09-08-2011, 12:59 PM
The story of Jesus is itself a recycling and retelling of popular fables and myths of the time and prior generations.

There is nothing new in the Bible as we know it.

:D You probably shouldn't get your information about Christianity from the Internet. It just makes you look silly.

Grace, for example. There is nothing quite like Christian grace.

Anyway, did you disagree with the statement or just need to vent your spleen again?

Pendragon
09-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Actually you will find that Grace originated with Buddhism which began centuries before Jesus ever walked the earth. Even the Hebrews had a word for it. So no, it was not a novel concept.

Mister D
09-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Actually you will find that Grace originated with Buddhism which began centuries before Jesus ever walked the earth. Even the Hebrews had a word for it. So no, it was not a novel concept.

Again, there is nothing quite like Christian grace, Pen. Moreover, you probably know even less about Buddhism than you do about Christianity. ;)

Mister D
09-08-2011, 01:17 PM
And we may note that Pen merely needs to vent his spleen. He should probably know what he's talking about first.

Pendragon
09-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Again, there is nothing quite like Christian grace, Pen. Moreover, you probably know even less about Buddhism than you do about Christianity. ;)

And there is nothing quite like making a fool of yourself and then censoring yourself because of your own foolishness.

Really, it is clear to me why you are Mister D and not Doctor D. You live in a bubble.

Of course if all you allow yourself to read is the NRO then there is little hope for you to become enlightened. I am most definitely positive I know more about any of the world's religions than you do about a single one.

Pendragon
09-08-2011, 01:33 PM
And we may note that Pen merely needs to vent his spleen. He should probably know what he's talking about first.

You are welcome to try it, but venting one's spleen is generally fatal. You have been forewarned!

Mister D
09-08-2011, 01:34 PM

And there is nothing quite like making a fool of yourself and then censoring yourself because of your own foolishness.

Really, it is clear to me why you are Mister D and not Doctor D. You live in a bubble.

Of course if all you allow yourself to read is the NRO then there is little hope for you to become enlightened. I am most definitely positive I know more about any of the world's religions than you do about a single one.

Censoring myself? ???

Hey, the flloor is yours. Make your case. I'm guessing we won't be hearing much more from you on this thread... :)

Mister D
09-08-2011, 01:35 PM

You are welcome to try it, but venting one's spleen is generally fatal. You have been forewarned!

Warn us before you make another attempt at comparative religion. Thanks. :D

Pendragon
09-08-2011, 01:37 PM

Censoring myself? ???

Hey, the flloor is yours. Make your case. I'm guessing we won't be hearing much more from you on this thread... :)

It is most undoubtedly hilarious to observe your broken English rise to prominence when you are challenged and become flustered.

I can tell you are frantic because of all the edits and quick replies you have been spewing forth from your keyboard, like a broken sewer main.

I seem to have made you quite hot under the collar as my dear Mum would say. Ha!

Mister D
09-08-2011, 01:39 PM

Censoring myself? ???

It is most undoubtedly hilarious to observe your broken English rise to prominence when you are challenged and become flustered.

I can tell you are frantic because of all the edits and quick replies you have been spewing forth from your keyboard, like a broken sewer main.

I seem to have made you quite hot under the collar as my dear Mum would say. Ha!

Broken English?

Anyway, I don't see much of case in there, Pen. :roflmao: