PDA

View Full Version : im building a new computer

Common
11-18-2015, 11:11 AM
Im building a new computer, this is the longest ive gone without building new over 4 yrs. The technology has slowed to where what you have does what you need it to do longer. Mine does what I need it to do but I get itch and want more.

So I started investigating and I found surprisingly that the intel 6 core is not the newest technology called Haswell. The newer one out is 8 core and theres a new 4 core Skylake thats faster than the 6 core haswell.

The 8 core is outrageous priced more than im willing to pay. So for gaming I chose the i7 6700K skylake.

Im still deciding between an Asus gaming mobo and the msi m series. Gigabyte Quality control sucks and the only two mobo failures iver ever had were gigabyte.

Im going with DDR 4. Im biding my time for Black friday deals when I get it all, Ill slap it together.

Cigar
11-18-2015, 11:16 AM
Did you get your list into Santa yet?

There maybe back-orders :grin:

Subdermal
11-18-2015, 11:17 AM
I think your habitual use of smileys in every post is indicative of deep-seated psychosis.

Common
11-18-2015, 11:51 AM
Did you get your list into Santa yet?

There maybe back-orders :grin:

wont help I dont have a chimney in fla

Cigar
11-18-2015, 12:37 PM
I think your habitual use of smileys in every post is indicative of deep-seated psychosis.

Actually I enjoy life and there's not as much gloom and doom in my world as some people. :grin:

So why not smile, don't worry, be happy ... or if you're not, then do something about it other than complain. :grin:

Because in reality, no one gives a sh!t :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::g rin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::gri n::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin: :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::g rin::grin::grin:

Cigar
11-18-2015, 12:39 PM
wont help I dont have a chimney in fla

My wife is already done with Christmas Shopping ... :rollseyes:

I usually start December 22 :laugh:

Common
11-18-2015, 12:57 PM
I dont do xmas shopping at all wife does it all, sends about 50 envelopes out.
Theres just too many to shop for stuff for. So they get cash.

I buy my wife something and she for me.

MisterVeritis
09-11-2016, 07:10 PM
I think it is time for me to have a new computer. I have four running right now. Two of them are decent.

This one is my best:
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75m-D3H (2012 technology)
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz
Ram 4GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800 x4
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB RAM
HDD: SSD CT512MX (476GB)
HDD: WDC WD2002 (2TB)

I looked at the i7 5960x (it runs about $1K)

I no longer build my own machines. I planned to spend about $2500 for a new gaming machine. Is that sufficient?

What are your recommendations?

exploited
09-11-2016, 08:22 PM
I think it is time for me to have a new computer. I have four running right now. Two of them are decent.

This one is my best:
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75m-D3H (2012 technology)
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz
Ram 4GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800 x4
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB RAM
HDD: SSD CT512MX (476GB)
HDD: WDC WD2002 (2TB)

I looked at the i7 5960x (it runs about $1K)

I no longer build my own machines. I planned to spend about $2500 for a new gaming machine. Is that sufficient?

What are your recommendations?

You may want to reconsider not putting it together yourself. I built a very solid gaming rig for about $1100, and it is a beast. It maxes out basically everything, and is VR-ready. You will be paying quite the premium for something pre-built.

My suggestion is checking out reddit.com/r/buildapc.

Those guys will get you a complete list of compatible parts and you'll save alot of money.

MisterVeritis
09-11-2016, 08:29 PM
You may want to reconsider not putting it together yourself. I built a very solid gaming rig for about $1100, and it is a beast. It maxes out basically everything, and is VR-ready. You will be paying quite the premium for something pre-built.

My suggestion is checking out reddit.com/r/buildapc.

Those guys will get you a complete list of compatible parts and you'll save alot of money.
I have a small problem called essential tremors. Once that reached a certain point I stopped building my own machines. Of the four I currently have I only built the oldest one.

But thanks. I will look at reddit.

exploited
09-11-2016, 08:31 PM
I have a small problem called essential tremors. Once that reached a certain point I stopped building my own machines. Of the four I currently have I only built the oldest one.

But thanks. I will look at reddit.

Sorry to hear that man. Whatever you end up doing, I'd go with at least 32GB or RAM and 4GB of video memory. Cores matter less than those things for gaming, as most games don't take advantage of multicore processing yet.

MisterVeritis
09-11-2016, 08:59 PM
Sorry to hear that man. Whatever you end up doing, I'd go with at least 32GB or RAM and 4GB of video memory. Cores matter less than those things for gaming, as most games don't take advantage of multicore processing yet.
Gigabyte Intel Z170XP Series
i7 6700k 4.0Ghz
64Gb DDR4
Nvidia GTX 1080 8Gb

500Gb SSD
5TB HDD

Blu-Ray
Wi-Fi
WIN10 PRO
Nice case

exploited
09-11-2016, 09:10 PM
Gigabyte Intel Z170XP Series
i7 6700k 4.0Ghz
64Gb DDR4
Nvidia GTX 1080 8Gb

500Gb SSD
5TB HDD

Blu-Ray
Wi-Fi
WIN10 PRO
Nice case

I got a boner just reading that.

MisterVeritis
09-12-2016, 03:37 PM
I got a boner just reading that.
I used to build a new machine every 18 months. Now I buy a new machine every few years instead.

The machine I am currently on will continue to be my primary research and writing platform. The new one will be for games and video editing. Oh, and probably, for recording audio books.

exotix
09-13-2016, 10:24 PM
Don't forget to acquiesce the new GPT (UEFI support) (vs. MBR) technology ...

http://www.disk-partition.com/gpt-mbr/mbr-vs-gpt-1004.html

waltky
02-01-2017, 03:48 AM
Computer memory manufacturers have the upper hand on pricing at the moment...
:angry:
Memory makers heading into an ultra-super-cycle
Tue, Jan 31, 2017 - SUPPLY AND DEMAND: With global supplies tight, chipmakers can choose what to manufacture and who to sell to, and raise pricing levels even further

The global memorychip industry is heading into what has been dubbed an ultra-super-cycle, as the challenge of making chips smaller yet more efficient has created supply bottlenecks, while there is soaring demand for data storage — from smartphones and artificial intelligence to autonomous driving and the Internet of Things. Chipmakers and analysts predict the price rally — the average price of benchmark memory chips rose 26 to 31 percent last year — will continue this year as supplies remain tight. “We expect an ultra-super-cycle instead of just a super-cycle in the 2017 DRAM industry,” said CW Chung, an analyst at Nomura Securities Co, referring to memory chips used in smartphones and computers for short-term data processing and storage.

That has left gadget makers scurrying to secure stable supplies, and distributors reporting shipment delays, while chipmakers enjoy bumper earnings. “As of the end of the fourth quarter, our DRAM inventory in particular has gotten tight compared to the previous period after we actively responded to demand,” said Chun Se-won, a senior vice president at Samsung Electronics Co. Samsung, the world’s biggest memorychip maker, this week reported record quarterly operating profit of 4.95 trillion won (US$4.26 billion) at its chip business. The company did not detail its inventory levels, but some analysts reckon its DRAM inventory level fell to less than a week at end-December, from nearer a month a year ago.

BNP Paribas SA estimates the industry-wide inventory of NAND flash memory chips, used for longer-term data storage, is also less than one week. Toshiba Corp said it is receiving orders beyond its capacity for NAND chips, and SK Hynix Inc, while meeting orders for now, warned that an industry-wide shortage of NAND chips will likely persist this year. Leading Chinese smartphone makers such as Huawei Technologies Co (華為) and ZTE Corp (中興) declined to comment on chip supplies. Alibaba Group Holding Ltd-backed (阿里巴巴) Meizu Technology Corp (魅族) said it has no problems in its smartphone launch or shipment plans. “We have a long-term agreement with our suppliers that ... guarantees more than three months of supply at any given moment,” global branding manager Ard Boudeling said.

Distributors, however, say tight supplies mean there are some severe shipping delays. “So much so that many are active in the secondary market to procure the needed supply, often at large premiums to contract pricing,” said Tobey Gonnerman, executive vice president at US-based component distributor Fusion Worldwide. He said there are delivery delays of 8-12 weeks for certain chips, and, in some extreme cases, no delivery date confirmations at all. That is likely to push up prices further, with Nomura predicting global memory chip market revenue will grow 56.7 percent this year to a record US$116 billion.

MORE (http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2017/01/31/2003664070)