PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Fallout 4: Nothing to Fall Out For

IMPress Polly
11-21-2015, 11:12 AM
Thank you gamer community (and beyond). You've stolen ten days of my life and I want them back!

I'm referring to the hype surrounding the November 10th release of Fallout 4. I'd never played a Fallout game before this year, but practically all of my friends both online and off obsessively hyped up this particular title nearly all year, as if the game of the century were upon us. Even people who played literally no other games were captivated by trailers for this one, evidently knowing something I didn't. "Maybe I've been missing out all these years", I thought to myself, so I opted to indulge everyone's insistent petitions that I MUST play the latest installment in this franchise and, braving a sea of people even dorkier than me, bought it on launch day. (Though granted it was nothing compared to the ocean of teenagers and parents I barely survived at yesterday's Mockingjay Part 2 opening.) I should've gone with my gut and never have listened to any of them.

Fret not: my experience was not without context, for I spent the days leading up to launch steeping myself in the lore of the series, which seemed interesting enough, characterized by what came off as a defense of modern cynicism against the place where the naive, conservative optimism of the romanticized Eisenhower years might've led us if continued indefinitely. Once I got a ways into Fallout 4 though, I realized that just the opposite is true: that far from supplying a jaded, eyes-wide-open type picture of the world, this franchise is instead about as stereotypically American as they come, and there are many ways of illustrating this: player freedom reins supreme and Manifest Destiny is alive and well in that basically all you get to do with that freedom is conquer and "settle" territory and amass loot. It's much like the perverse nostalgia for the horrible, genocidal days of the Old West that pervaded 1950s America, differing only in that the next frontier is to be found in a future decimation of civilization. This provides an opportunity for the player to pull themselves up by their boot straps and begin the project of civilizing a now-barbaric humanity anew.

It's also a very American game in another way: the storyline can be described as mediocre at best and certainly isn't the focus of play. The game begins with an interesting set-up: we start playing just before the inevitable nuclear holocaust wipes out most of the world's population, which will reduce the species to a small collection of almost tribalistic warring factions. We get to experience just a taste of pre-bombing life; enough to learn what that conservative '50s style life might've been like if continued into this century. We get to experience the oddity that is its World's Fair-like futuristic technologically (household robot servants, etc.) married to stagnant, far-outdated social relations. Then we are informed that nuclear war is being unleashed, resulting from the yes-still-ongoing Cold War (which now exists in a new form) finally turning hot after escalating steadily for more than a century. We are then rushed to a vault that we only too late learn is actually an experimental freezing chamber in addition to being a shelter, as the U.S. government has been pondering a number of different ways of salvaging its population in this kind of situation for decades without informing the population. We awake two centuries later. This opening story salvo was a fascinating thought experiment and easily the best part of the story! What came thereafter only made me wish that this carefully directed approach had continued though, for the next thing you know, the "storytelling" is reduced to generic industry tropes: our spouse is murdered and a relative (our son) has gone missing and its up to us to spend presumably the rest of the game both hunting for the relative in distress and seeking revenge (the game industry's preferred modern-day alternatives to the old damsel in distress narratives that prevailed up until the turn of the century). Combining both of these lazy tropes was evidently supposed to double our motivation to proceed or something.

Anyway, one scarcely makes it ten feet without being bombarded by countless, distracting subplots that draw one over to the side quest (that's RPG for minigame) aspect that constitutes some 95% of the game's total contents (hundreds of hours worth) and exists simply to justify the completely unnecessary scale of the world in which one now finds themself situated because the developer couldn't justify the scale narratively. Welcome to the world of modern, sandbox RPGs. Enter first-person shooting. Lots and lots of shooting. :rollseyes: Killing things is, in fact, way more central to this game than the story and characters, as well illustrated by both the poor quality of writing and the fact that one is perfectly free to simply walk away from almost any conversation in progress. It's as if people (and synths) are just set decorations there to churn out side missions and rewards for shooting more enemies and collecting random items. There's no feeling behind any of it hardly and in turn we cannot grow attached to the characters or their stories.

Two-thirds of this game's 15-hour story (15 hours if, like me, you doggedly avoid most all subplots) is simply an adherence to the above. Narrative choices are abundant, but overwhelmingly false since it doesn't really matter what narrow-minded, moronic faction(s) you align with in the grand conflict because they all just so happen to conveniently agree that the source of all evil is a mysterious group called the Institute, so you'll inevitably wind up teleporting to the Institute to destroy it eventually, the convenient requirement of teleportation being the game's contrived way of keeping the main events proceeding in something like a logical sequence despite the otherwise free exploration that the open-world format affords the player.

Mercifully, the last one-third of Fallout 4's core storyline provides SOME relief in the form of less narrative predictability. *SPOILER ALERT!* Your son, it turns out, is actually a grown man running the Institute nowadays, as it turns out that you're actually 60 years old because you were never properly frozen. You learn that, shockingly, the Institute isn't quite as horrible as all the factions have made them out to be and that their aim is to allow the Earth to heal itself by bringing humanity underground to the pristine, high-tech world they've crafted there to dwell in the interim while reconstruction goes on on the surface. They're essentially the remnants of the former U.S. government. However, because the factions are all mindlessly belligerent morons bearing little resemblance to actual human beings in their mannerisms and decision-making processes, it turns out you have to kill off all the faction leaders first in order to unite the species under the umbrella of the Institute before any of this can happen. This is supposed to make you feel like a murderer because you'd gotten to know these people; they weren't just nameless robots and generic enemies, but real people with names and backgrounds with whom you'd forged relationships of sorts. People who trusted you. You can choose to back out just about any time too; a fact that's supposed to add tension to the situation, causing you to second-guess and ponder your moral limits. Really though, it just kinda comes off as fake since these leaders are all a bunch of unplausibly mindless zealots rather than reasonable, relatable people. OF COURSE you're going to kill them! What's the alternative? Letting humanity languish in its state of destitution and perpetual war so that a collection of brainless, heartless belligerents the game laughably passes off as believable people can live? [/SPOILER]

With the Bethesda name attached to it (that's the company responsible for the Elder Scrolls games), maybe I should've seen this sort of detached and highly unfocused narrative coming. The bottom line though is that the Institute -- the old U.S. government essentially -- isn't so bad after all and maybe we really SHOULD have stuck with the 1950s conservative optimism, complete with its want of new frontiers to conquer and plunder for thrills. There are just some "tough choices" that have to be made along the way to realizing an America that's revitalized both practically and spiritually. Like whether or not to shoot rotten people with names. Because no matter what messes we get ourselves into, we can pull ourselves up by our boot straps and survive. Why? Because America. U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! Vote Jeb 2016!

GrassrootsConservative
11-21-2015, 11:19 AM
I am unsurprised that someone so obsessed with such trite dreck as the hunger games is unimpressed by the genius of Fallout 4.

Doublejack
11-21-2015, 12:38 PM
Side-quests are usually 90% (no I can't confirm that percentage) of the game when it comes to Bethesda's free range style open world games.

I usually purposefully avoid the main quest line for a month or so.

IMPress Polly
11-21-2015, 12:38 PM
GrassrootsConservative wrote:
I am unsurprised that someone so obsessed with such trite dreck as the hunger games is unimpressed by the genius of Fallout 4.

Though a franchise aimed at teenage audiences, The Hunger Games is, in my view, quite a bit more powerful nonetheless, mostly because of its distinctive combination of deep-going cynicism that reflects the pessimism of its target audience and anti-imperialist politics. The essential thing it says is that everything's not going to be alright, that the world is not easily repaired, that war and death are serious matters that should be taken seriously, and also that, in spite of all those things, there are things worth standing up for -- oppressions worth standing up to -- that compel one to turn their focus off of themselves and onto the needs of the world around them. It's ironically a string of acts of compassion that lead to full-scale revolutionary war in The Hunger Games. The war takes a massive toll and it doesn't solve nearly everything. There's no trivializing or romanticizing of war, violence, death. Katniss and Peeta don't live happily ever after. Instead they endure, knowing that doing the right and selfless things, difficult to flesh out as they've been, may have ruined them and cost a great many lives, but ultimately at least yielded the chance for a better peace. It's a thought-provoking series. Personally, I think that's just better than Fallout 4's jingoism and barely-concealed love of mass misery.

That said, comparing a series of novels and films to the latest installment in a video game franchise may not be entirely apt. These are different mediums after all. I think that the best point of comparison might be to a computer RPG from earlier this year entitled Pillars of Eternity. Have you heard of that game? That's an example of what I'd call something like a modern-day model RPG. (It's definitely going to appear in the upcoming revision of my top five favorite 2015 games.)

Private Pickle
11-21-2015, 12:58 PM
Though a franchise aimed at teenage audiences, The Hunger Games is, in my view, quite a bit more powerful nonetheless, mostly because of its distinctive combination of deep-going cynicism that reflects the pessimism of its target audience and anti-imperialist politics. The essential thing it says is that everything's not going to be alright, that the world is not easily repaired, that war and death are serious matters that should be taken seriously, and also that, in spite of all those things, there are things worth standing up for -- oppressions worth standing up to -- that compel one to turn their focus off of themselves and onto the needs of the world around them. It's ironically a string of acts of compassion that lead to full-scale revolutionary war in The Hunger Games. The war takes a massive toll and it doesn't solve nearly everything. There's no trivializing or romanticizing of war, violence, death. Katniss and Peeta don't live happily ever after. Instead they endure, knowing that doing the right and selfless things, difficult to flesh out as they've been, may have ruined them and cost a great many lives, but ultimately at least yielded the chance for a better peace. It's a thought-provoking series. Personally, I think that's just better than Fallout 4's jingoism and barely-concealed love of mass misery.

That said, comparing a series of novels and films to the latest installment in a video game franchise may not be entirely apt. These are different mediums after all. I think that the best point of comparison might be to a computer RPG from earlier this year entitled Pillars of Eternity. Have you heard of that game? That's an example of what I'd call something like a modern-day model RPG. (It's definitely going to appear in the upcoming revision of my top five favorite 2015 games.)

I didn't figure you for a 1st person shooter kinda person.

Cletus
11-21-2015, 01:03 PM
So, this "Not ImPressive" person uses a video game to bash the US.

Disgusting.

Private Pickle
11-21-2015, 01:09 PM
So, this "Not ImPressive" person uses a video game to bash the US.

Disgusting.

Everyone knows who Polly is bro. She has a different take. It isn't disgusting, it's well informed, articulate and well thought out. It's wrong but I still enjoy reading her stuff.

The Xl
11-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Everyone knows who Polly is bro. She has a different take. It isn't disgusting, it's well informed, articulate and well thought out. It's wrong but I still enjoy reading her stuff.

Yeah, even when I disagree with her, it's hard not to be impressed with the detail and effort put into her work.

On Fallout, I've never played even one of them. Nothing against it, just never ran into it.

Cletus
11-21-2015, 01:38 PM

To each his own.

I'll stick with disgusting.

IMPress Polly
11-21-2015, 03:35 PM
With games like Clouds Over Sidra out there now absolutely revolutionizing game storytelling and making it abundantly clear that there's no divorcing game narratives from social analysis, I'm a merciless grader these days. Fallout 4's lazy reliance on a revenge/rescue narrative for most of the experience, lack of serious character development, and just overall message of what strikes me as narrow-minded jingoism don't cut it with me. Certainly not when one can now experience and interact with real life in an actual Syrian refugee camp located in Jordan in virtual reality! In that context especially, Fallout 4 just seems shallow, commercial, and highly overrated to me.

Cletus
11-21-2015, 03:42 PM
Fallout 4 just seems shallow, commercial, and highly overrated to me.

As you do to me.

Private Pickle
11-21-2015, 03:45 PM
As you do to me.

Dont troll....

Cletus
11-21-2015, 04:02 PM
Dont troll....

I never troll. I express opinions and/or facts.

Private Pickle
11-21-2015, 04:04 PM

I could just report it and let the mods decide.

Cletus
11-21-2015, 04:05 PM
I could just report it and let the mods decide.

Do what you gotta do.

Chris
11-21-2015, 04:15 PM
As you do to me.

Comment on topic and what's posted, not members.

Cletus
11-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Comment on topic and what's posted, not members.

Whatever... Her little gambit of using a critique of a video game to slam the United States was disgusting. You may not see it that way, but I do and my comment to that effect was addressing the content of her post.

My second post, was indeed about her, and I freely acknowledge that. If it made Pickle soil himself and go crying to you, I don't really care. Send me an address and I will overnight him a box of Baby wipes so he can clean himself up.

TBed for violation rule 9.

Peter1469
11-21-2015, 07:48 PM

And she doesn't use her posts to troll and attack other members. We all can learn from her example.

IMPress Polly
11-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Don't worry about it everyone. I'm used to dealing with GamerGate people who have been known to do things like hack my friends' social media accounts and use them to threaten me, causing brief paranoia until I find out its a hoax. Cletus's petty personal attacks I can handle.

Common
11-21-2015, 08:13 PM
Thanks polly for the critique, im considering buying witcher.

GrassrootsConservative
11-21-2015, 10:46 PM
With games like Clouds Over Sidra out there now absolutely revolutionizing game storytelling and making it abundantly clear that there's no divorcing game narratives from social analysis, I'm a merciless grader these days. Fallout 4's lazy reliance on a revenge/rescue narrative for most of the experience, lack of serious character development, and just overall message of what strikes me as narrow-minded jingoism don't cut it with me. Certainly not when one can now experience and interact with real life in an actual Syrian refugee camp located in Jordan in virtual reality! In that context especially, Fallout 4 just seems shallow, commercial, and highly overrated to me.

And when you're done looking at junk like storytelling and progressive agendas maybe you can have an objective look at things.

IMPress Polly
11-22-2015, 01:12 PM
I don't think things like storytelling and social commentary are "junk" at all. I think they're important to helping us become a more open-minded and compassionate people.

I'm not saying every game needs to be about opening up minds and hearts or anything. In my mind, there's definitely a place in this world for games that really are just about having fun. The first game I ever played, for example, was the original Sonic the Hedgehog, which wasn't quite the most introspective title ever made. It was just fun. That's how I got hooked on video games as a medium. But as I grew older and started to mature, I began to find that that type of thing wasn't always enough for me anymore. When I discovered Final Fantasy 6 in 1994 in particular, I discovered that I really craved games that had strong, meaningful stories and complex, empathetic characters. I liked Square's vision of making video games into more cinematic experiences. I still like that outlook and approach even though Square (now Square Enix) has in many ways started to move away from it. Right now, I think Clouds Over Sidra, an interactive VR documentary, is the best game...and also the best movie...of the year. To look at the sales charts, I'm not sure that most people share my fascination with quality storytelling in general, be it in games or movies, but nonetheless it is something that matters to me and to many people. Great stories draw one into a gaming experience and great characterization fosters empathy; something our society has, the studies say, lost a great deal of in recent generations.

Did you know that studies show that video games -- especially virtual reality games -- can actually be better at fostering empathy than either movies or books? It's true! But the same studies find that they can also do just the opposite: they can alternately callous the heart more readily than other mediums. It's all about how a game is built. I think we need more empathy-building games.

Private Pickle
11-22-2015, 02:44 PM
That's why I play GTA V. It's empathy building.

IMPress Polly
11-22-2015, 07:09 PM
lol, like I said, it all depends on how the game is built! :wink:

kilgram
11-24-2015, 03:09 AM

You're trolling. And you've not expressed any fact. Only nonsense and showing how intolerant you are.

kilgram
11-24-2015, 03:25 AM
And when you're done looking at junk like storytelling and progressive agendas maybe you can have an objective look at things.
Are you obijective? The same words that you've expressed for Polly can be used for you.

When you're done looking at junk live violence and conservative agendas maybe you can have an objective look at things.

Because, what is objective, you are incredibly far to be objective. You are extremely conservative biased. And it is not being objective.

GrassrootsConservative
12-01-2015, 04:02 AM
Are you obijective? The same words that you've expressed for Polly can be used for you.

When you're done looking at junk live violence and conservative agendas maybe you can have an objective look at things.

Because, what is objective, you are incredibly far to be objective. You are extremely conservative biased. And it is not being objective.

You wouldn't know anything about being objective. I'll dismiss you completely on the subject.

kilgram
12-01-2015, 07:30 AM
You wouldn't know anything about being objective. I'll dismiss you completely on the subject.
You are the least objective person I've ever found. You are extremely biased. Your name indicates this fact. And you come to give lessons of being objective. LOL. It is great to be sent to a humor TV show.

Отправлено с моего Aquaris E5 через Tapatalk