PDA

View Full Version : Is Climate Change Our Biggest Problem?

Chris
12-01-2015, 11:59 AM
Economist Bjorn Lomborg accepts that climate change is an issue needing to be addressed. He looks at how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgm3QOWt6Tc&feature=youtu.be

valley ranch
12-01-2015, 12:07 PM
What government does in the name of Climate change is the problem. Dumbo is the problem.

Chris
12-01-2015, 01:41 PM
I like the way Lomborg looks at issue economically, how to prioritize what's attempted, etc. First I heard of him he was comparing climate change issues with other problems, like population, pollution, water, food, etc, and saying we can't solve them all. Here, this was back in 2007...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtbn9zBfJSs

zelmo1234
12-01-2015, 01:49 PM
I have been saying that the money needs to go into R&D

I like the better building codes. all that sounds logical, the left will have some serious issues with this however, because it has no redistribution aspects to it

Chris
12-01-2015, 01:57 PM
I have been saying that the money needs to go into R&D

I like the better building codes. all that sounds logical, the left will have some serious issues with this however, because it has no redistribution aspects to it

He and a few other economists are the money needs to go not to preventing or undoing changes but rather to adapting to it. If the planet's going to heat up by a degree or two then we should look to new clothing, shelter, etc to deal with it.

This can be handled by the market, not the government.

Another point Lomborg makes in the OP video is how government is redistributing dollars to projects that may never work or be cost effective. The market is better suited to the innovation needed.

The Xl
12-01-2015, 02:05 PM
The earths climate and temperature has always fluctuated. Climate change is real, but whether it's man made is doubtful, just another ploy to tax the middle class, because everyone knows that's who will pay for it.

kilgram
12-01-2015, 02:50 PM
The earths climate and temperature has always fluctuated. Climate change is real, but whether it's man made is doubtful, just another ploy to tax the middle class, because everyone knows that's who will pay for it.

That is man's made is unquestionable. The human influence has accelerated many changes in climate that would not have happened without his influence

The Xl
12-01-2015, 02:51 PM
That is man's made is unquestionable. The human influence has accelerated many changes in climate that would not have happened without his influence

It's very questionable.

Chris
12-01-2015, 02:56 PM

All true but I would argue man necessarily affects climate change. How, how much, all arguable.

Captain Obvious
12-01-2015, 06:55 PM
I don't know that climate change is the most urgent short-term priority but I do know that human tendency, especially short-term political agendas looking for short-term gains, doesn't look that far down the road.

Our staggering debt is a good example. "Fix today, let the next generation worry about it". Climate change and environmental issues are no different in this respect.

There is no real solution to slowing or stopping climate change, it just isn't going to happen, especially when we say "we have bigger fish to fry". Another way of saying that is "it's not going to impact me in my lifetime so fuck it, someone else's problem".

Peter1469
12-01-2015, 08:07 PM
As far as what man is doing to the climate- warming is at the bottom of the list. 1 degree Celsius per 100 years. We need to focus on real pollution.

Chris
12-01-2015, 09:51 PM
As far as what man is doing to the climate- warming is at the bottom of the list. 1 degree Celsius per 100 years. We need to focus on real pollution.

That's the point of his 2007 video.