PDA

View Full Version : Obama Administration Continues War Against Medical Marijuana

Conley
09-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Drug Czar Says 'Young People' Smoke Pot Because They Saw Grandma Do It When She Was Getting Chemotherapy

Today the federal government released the latest results from its National Survey on Drug Use and Health, which indicate a slight uptick in marijuana use. Between 2009 and 2010, the share of respondents reporting past-month consumption rose from 6.6 percent to 6.9 percent. Among 18-to-25-year-olds, past-month use rose from 18.1 percent to 18.5 percent—leading Reuters to declare that "marijuana is increasingly becoming the drug of choice among young adults in the United States." If we are talking about illegal substances, marijuana has been "the drug of choice among young adults in the United States" ever since researchers started asking them about their drug use. Similarly, USA Today reports that "marijuana is as popular as ever," even though survey data (PDF) from the late 1970s and early '80s indicate it was more popular then.

None of this seems like cause for alarm, unless you are Gil Kerlikowske, director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), who predictably blames medical marijuana laws. "People keep calling it medicine," he said at a press conference today, "and that's the wrong message for young people to hear." Because when "young people" hear "medicine," they think, "I bet that'll get you fucked up," whereas before they had no idea you could get high by smoking pot. However plausible that hypothesis may seem to you, there is little evidence to support the idea that legalizing marijuana for medical purposes increases recreational consumption by teenagers.

http://reason.com/blog/2011/09/08/drug-czar-says-young-people-sm

Why is our government even wasting time on this bull? Do the American people really care about marijuana law enforcement? Fine, if you're under 21 like alcohol you shouldn't have it -- I don't want to deal with DUIs. For adults, who cares? I wonder how much we're spending on crap like this. Just another point Obama has flipped on too.

MMC
09-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Drug Czar Says 'Young People' Smoke Pot Because They Saw Grandma Do It When She Was Getting Chemotherapy

Today the federal government released the latest results from its National Survey on Drug Use and Health, which indicate a slight uptick in marijuana use. Between 2009 and 2010, the share of respondents reporting past-month consumption rose from 6.6 percent to 6.9 percent. Among 18-to-25-year-olds, past-month use rose from 18.1 percent to 18.5 percent—leading Reuters to declare that "marijuana is increasingly becoming the drug of choice among young adults in the United States." If we are talking about illegal substances, marijuana has been "the drug of choice among young adults in the United States" ever since researchers started asking them about their drug use. Similarly, USA Today reports that "marijuana is as popular as ever," even though survey data (PDF) from the late 1970s and early '80s indicate it was more popular then.

None of this seems like cause for alarm, unless you are Gil Kerlikowske, director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), who predictably blames medical marijuana laws. "People keep calling it medicine," he said at a press conference today, "and that's the wrong message for young people to hear." Because when "young people" hear "medicine," they think, "I bet that'll get you fucked up," whereas before they had no idea you could get high by smoking pot. However plausible that hypothesis may seem to you, there is little evidence to support the idea that legalizing marijuana for medical purposes increases recreational consumption by teenagers.

http://reason.com/blog/2011/09/08/drug-czar-says-young-people-sm

Why is our government even wasting time on this bull? Do the American people really care about marijuana law enforcement? Fine, if you're under 21 like alcohol you shouldn't have it -- I don't want to deal with DUIs. For adults, who cares? I wonder how much we're spending on crap like this. Just another point Obama has flipped on too.

How much have they spent on it from the get go.....Here it is Zero tolerance so they lock people up. 24 states have decriminalized. How much more money could go to something else. you would think they would have more states doing such. As then they could be picking up money for fines.

Conley
09-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Right and not just that we both know there is money to be made for the private prisons...