PDA

View Full Version : Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) Headache

Conley
09-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Oh man, my head is pounding and the right side of my face feels all tight. I felt bad yesterday too, couldn't figure out why. Then I realized this morning that it is from the MSG containing food I ate. I hardly ever eat that stuff any more but now I remember why I stopped years ago as a teen. Uggh I feel like crap, I can't believe they still use this stuff in food.

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/pain-management/headaches/msg

Mister D
09-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Yikes. Some people would easily mistake a "tight face" for a sign of a stroke. I rarely eat out anymore unless it's at a good restaurant. IOW, unless it's relatively expensive. No more diners, restaurant chains etc. I'm not sure why exactly but I feel my blood pressure go up, I get a mild headache and just have a general feeling of unwellness whenever I eat out now. It might because of my diet but I'm not sure. It's given me some insight into how poisonous standard fare is for millions of Americans.

MMC
09-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Yikes. Some people would easily mistake a "tight face" for a sign of a stroke. I rarely eat out anymore unless it's at a good restaurant. IOW, unless it's relatively expensive. No more diners, restaurant chains etc. I'm not sure why exactly but I feel my blood pressure go up, I get a mild headache and just have a general feeling of unwellness whenever I eat out now. It might because of my diet but I'm not sure. It's given me some insight into how poisonous standard fare is for millions of Americans.

We are the same way.....except for Pizza. Though we never go out for that. Nice Steak house or a real goood Sicillian Restaurant. I know a few. ;)

Mister D
09-11-2011, 11:41 AM

We are the same way.....except for Pizza. Though we never go out for that. Nice Steak house or a real goood Sicillian Restaurant. I know a few. ;)

I make an exception for pizza too. I usually feel fine after pizza. Even mediocre pizza.

MMC
09-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Here let me help you young-bucks out with the whats going on. See now you bruthas are experiencing what's commonly known to affect the male species as a predator. Just like within the Animal Kingdom.

It's called that azz is getting old..... >:D :D

How's it feel! >:( ;) ;D

Mister D
09-11-2011, 11:45 AM
I'll have you know that Mister D ages like a fine scotch. 8) Smoky and smooth...Yeah, that's Mister D.

http://www.bevmo.com/Media/Images/ProductImagesFull/73403.jpg

MMC
09-11-2011, 11:58 AM
I'll have you know that Mister D ages like a fine scotch. 8) Smoky and smooth...Yeah, that's Mister D.

Uh huh.....just don't forget. You came into this world bald, and wrinkled. You be going out the same way you came in barring no mishaps. Albeit a little sore and slower moving. ;) ;D

Conley
09-11-2011, 12:28 PM
:rofl: you guys crack me up...

yeah you are right mmc i am getting old. not old enough for a stroke but d is right, that kind of symptom is scary...

this dose of msg was from cheetos :-[ :-[ :-[

yes i am embarassed...i ate cheetos for breakfast :D but i followed it up with a 3 1/2 mile run, headache and all, so that's good right. right? guys? hello? :D

Conley
09-11-2011, 12:29 PM
And yeah I only eat at nice restaurants too. Most stuff I can make at home...I like good sushi a couple times a month and maybe Indian food (not that all you can eat dog meat buffet) a few times a year. I think the metals in that sushi is probably causing long term health problems though.

Mister D
09-11-2011, 12:42 PM

yeah you are right mmc i am getting old. not old enough for a stroke but d is right, that kind of symptom is scary...

yes i am embarassed...i ate cheetos for breakfast :D but i followed it up with a 3 1/2 mile run, headache and all, so that's good right. right? guys? hello? :D

Way too young for a stroke unless you have some kind of genetic history in your family which you would have mentioned by now.

Cheetos? Seriously? My body would revolt by mile 3. Breakfast is the least expensive meal of the day. You gotta stock up. In any case, who else uses MSG? I eat a bag of Doritos every few weeks. I wonder if they have MSG added. Granted, I don't eat more than a 1/4 of a bag at a time.

Mister D
09-11-2011, 12:46 PM
And yeah I only eat at nice restaurants too. Most stuff I can make at home...I like good sushi a couple times a month and maybe Indian food (not that all you can eat dog meat buffet) a few times a year. I think the metals in that sushi is probably causing long term health problems though.

Mercury might be a problem so the best thing to do is to limit your intake of large fish.

I cook at home all the time. I made breakfast and I'm making dinner now. I probably cook around 10-11 meals a week.

Mister D
09-11-2011, 12:48 PM

Uh huh.....just don't forget. You came into this world bald, and wrinkled. You be going out the same way you came in barring no mishaps. Albeit a little sore and slower moving. ;) ;D

Stop hatin'.

Conley
09-11-2011, 01:15 PM

Way too young for a stroke unless you have some kind of genetic history in your family which you would have mentioned by now.

Cheetos? Seriously? My body would revolt by mile 3. Breakfast is the least expensive meal of the day. You gotta stock up. In any case, who else uses MSG? I eat a bag of Doritos every few weeks. I wonder if they have MSG added. Granted, I don't eat more than a 1/4 of a bag at a time.

:D yeah you know my whole medical history haha...I probably ate around 500-700 calories worth of them for breakfast. I can run after eating as long as it is something light. Can't run on an empty stomach and can't run after just coffee or soda (I run in the AM) because during the jog I'll get heartburn from all that bouncing up and down.

Doritos have MSG as well and they give me the exact same symptoms. I don't normally eat those either.

Mister D
09-11-2011, 01:19 PM

:D yeah you know my whole medical history haha...I probably ate around 500-700 calories worth of them for breakfast. I can run after eating as long as it is something light. Can't run on an empty stomach and can't run after just coffee or soda (I run in the AM) because during the jog I'll get heartburn from all that bouncing up and down.

Doritos have MSG as well and they give me the exact same symptoms. I don't normally eat those either.

That's interesting. I run in the PM hours but I also have a lot of trouble running on an empty stomach. I get the dry heaves.

Imagine the results you would see if you were eating good or even decent food for breakfast. Perhaps a couple eggs and some leaner bacon? Each egg is bursting with good protein and vitamins.

Well I don't eat a lot of Doritos so it's not much of a concern.

Conley
09-11-2011, 01:30 PM

That's interesting. I run in the PM hours but I also have a lot of trouble running on an empty stomach. I get the dry heaves.

Imagine the results you would see if you were eating good or even decent food for breakfast. Perhaps a couple eggs and some leaner bacon? Each egg is bursting with good protein and vitamins.

I can't eat that stuff now that I know how it's made. If I could get them from a farm or something it'd be fine, and I probably could if I look around enough, but the way bacon and eggs are made in this country makes me question if eating that stuff is really 'healthy'. Eggs in particular, they way the maximize the production is by starving and eventually making the hens die of thirst. I guess it some evolutionary survival instinct, once they know they are going to die they start popping out eggs like crazy.

Conley
09-11-2011, 01:33 PM
I have been popping my own popcorn at home. It's a great snack for the munchies and I know exactly what I am eating. Not health food but not terrible either. I usually use canola oil.

Mister D
09-11-2011, 01:36 PM

I can't eat that stuff now that I know how it's made. If I could get them from a farm or something it'd be fine, and I probably could if I look around enough, but the way bacon and eggs are made in this country makes me question if eating that stuff is really 'healthy'. Eggs in particular, they way the maximize the production is by starving and eventually making the hens die of thirst. I guess it some evolutionary survival instinct, once they know they are going to die they start popping out eggs like crazy.

If you are worried about farming techniques you should buy the cage free eggs. They're are all over the place now at least here in NJ/NY. They're about a $1 more than your typical supermarket eggs. Maybe a buck and change. I buy them because I think it's more humane but it's a great option for you if farming techniques are your concern. Try Egglands Best. They have a cage free carton. Delicious.

Mister D
09-11-2011, 01:39 PM
I have been popping my own popcorn at home. It's a great snack for the munchies and I know exactly what I am eating. Not health food but not terrible either. I usually use canola oil.

Oh yeah? Popcorn is very good for you. It's a whole grain snack loaded with vitamins and fiber. It has plenty of calories too but you are working out so who cares? I still buy microwave popcorn but I usually get the fat free or minimal fat varieties. Smart Pop is good with extra salt.

Conley
09-11-2011, 01:46 PM

Oh yeah? Popcorn is very good for you. It's a whole grain snack loaded with vitamins and fiber. It has plenty of calories too but you are working out so who cares? I still buy microwave popcorn but I usually get the fat free or minimal fat varieties. Smart Pop is good with extra salt.

Good tip on the eggs. I will need to look into that -- some places make claims like that and it turns out they are still fairly evil. If you're interested pick up one of those Michael Pollan books...what was the one I read...Omnivore's Dilemma, that was it.

Yeah the home made popcorn is great -- I like it with some Parmesan cheese sprinkled instead of salt, still pretty low fat (it's just a small amount of cheese).

I don't like Microwave popcorn because it makes a mess with the grease but more importantly it makes people sick. Have you heard about popcorn lung? Mostly it is factory workers that get sick, but I guess a few people eat a lot of it. Not sure if your brand has removed the ingredient:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchiolitis_obliterans#Diacetyl_.28Popcorn_worke rs_lung.29

Mister D
09-11-2011, 01:55 PM

Good tip on the eggs. I will need to look into that -- some places make claims like that and it turns out they are still fairly evil. If you're interested pick up one of those Michael Pollan books...what was the one I read...Omnivore's Dilemma, that was it.

Yeah the home made popcorn is great -- I like it with some Parmesan cheese sprinkled instead of salt, still pretty low fat (it's just a small amount of cheese).

I don't like Microwave popcorn because it makes a mess with the grease but more importantly it makes people sick. Have you heard about popcorn lung? Mostly it is factory workers that get sick, but I guess a few people eat a lot of it. Not sure if your brand has removed the ingredient:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchiolitis_obliterans#Diacetyl_.28Popcorn_worke rs_lung.29

Oh wow. They say it's used to create the butter like flavoring.

One heavy consumer of microwaved popcorn has been diagnosed with this disease, which is the first known case involving a consumer.

Good to know. I haven't had any microwave popcorn since I moved in but I just got a microwave. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Yeah, some places have misleading labeling but Egglands seems pretty legit.

DENVER, Oct. 15: Eggland’s Best, Inc., America’s number one branded egg, will be certified by the American Humane Association. First developed in 1999, American Humane’s assessment and certification process will verify that Eggland’s Best Cage Free and Organic egg products are produced humanely and according to the Association’s strict animal welfare guidelines. The certification of Eggland’s Best marks a watershed moment for the growing humane animal certification movement.

“American Humane is delighted and proud to welcome Eggland’s Best to our program,” said Marie Belew Wheatley, American Humane president and CEO. “Our certification program is the country’s original farm animal welfare program. We are very pleased that Eggland’s Best recognizes the value of maintaining high standards of animal care in their operations and are confident that the brand will find the American Humane Certification good for both the animals and their business interests.”

http://www.fdqmagazine.com/English/news.asp?ID=1223

I buy them strictly for humane considerations. I think people get too carried away worrying about the stuff in their food but check these out. I eat a lot of Egglands.

Conley
09-11-2011, 02:08 PM

One heavy consumer of microwaved popcorn has been diagnosed with this disease, which is the first known case involving a consumer.

Good to know. I haven't had any microwave popcorn since I moved in but I just got a microwave. Now I'm having second thoughts.

DENVER, Oct. 15: Eggland’s Best, Inc., America’s number one branded egg, will be certified by the American Humane Association. First developed in 1999, American Humane’s assessment and certification process will verify that Eggland’s Best Cage Free and Organic egg products are produced humanely and according to the Association’s strict animal welfare guidelines. The certification of Eggland’s Best marks a watershed moment for the growing humane animal certification movement.

“American Humane is delighted and proud to welcome Eggland’s Best to our program,” said Marie Belew Wheatley, American Humane president and CEO. “Our certification program is the country’s original farm animal welfare program. We are very pleased that Eggland’s Best recognizes the value of maintaining high standards of animal care in their operations and are confident that the brand will find the American Humane Certification good for both the animals and their business interests.”

I buy them strictly for humane considerations. I think people get too carried away worrying about the stuff in their food but check these out. I eat a lot of Egglands.

Cool...thank you, I will definitely look for that brand then.

How do you cook them? I like scrambled but I hate cleaning the pan, so I often end up frying them instead. As long as you are using healthy oils I don't think it's that bad. I am more concerned with calories and portion sizes than eating some fat.

Conley
09-11-2011, 02:12 PM
With the micro popcorn, I guess I just don't think it's worth a chance or making other people sick. Sure it might take a lot to make you obviously sick, but it could be that just a small amount is enough to mildly limit your lung capacity (like smoking one cig a day). I'd rather not risk it when making normal popcorn is so easy. This was given to me and I love it - a whirly pop:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4153Z0G472L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's about 20 bucks I think....the spinner keeps the kernels falling to the bottom and even in the oil. I'll probably use it today.

Conley
09-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Popping corn is super inexpensive too for the amount you get.

Can you tell I'm obsessed? :D

Mister D
09-11-2011, 02:22 PM

How do you cook them? I like scrambled but I hate cleaning the pan, so I often end up frying them instead. As long as you are using healthy oils I don't think it's that bad. I am more concerned with calories and portion sizes than eating some fat.

I'm all about the butter when I cook eggs. I like them scrambled, fried or over easy. The latter is kind of a pain in the ass so I have to really be in the mood. The trick is not to actually cut a chunk of butter but to take the whole stick and coat the pan quickly. You wind up using no more than 1/2 a serving which is around 5.5 grams of fat. I also use a non-stick. That helps. I sometimes use olive oil but usually when I run out of butter and I'm just too lazy to go get more.

Mister D
09-11-2011, 02:23 PM
With the micro popcorn, I guess I just don't think it's worth a chance or making other people sick. Sure it might take a lot to make you obviously sick, but it could be that just a small amount is enough to mildly limit your lung capacity (like smoking one cig a day). I'd rather not risk it when making normal popcorn is so easy. This was given to me and I love it - a whirly pop:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4153Z0G472L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's about 20 bucks I think....the spinner keeps the kernels falling to the bottom and even in the oil. I'll probably use it today.

Oh! That's actually pretty small. I thought there was a little more involved. Hmmm... 8)

Mister D
09-11-2011, 02:24 PM

Hey. I think it's great. Like I said, it's actually good for you and the way you make it it eliminates all of the negatives. I don;t like it without a lot of salt but that's just me.

Conley
09-11-2011, 02:31 PM

I'm all about the butter when I cook eggs. I like them scrambled, fried or over easy. The latter is kind of a pain in the ass so I have to really be in the mood. The trick is not to actually cut a chunk of butter but to take the whole stick and coat the pan quickly. You wind up using no more than 1/2 a serving which is around 5.5 grams of fat. I also use a non-stick. That helps. I sometimes use olive oil but usually when I run out of butter and I'm just too lazy to go get more.

Yeah, I don't use non-stick pans because of the coatings...they come off and end up in your food. I have health concerns about them as well. I love a good cast iron frying pan but I don't currently have one. I need to pick one up soon. We had a nonstick pan that I used for many years but I want to get away from them. I do use a contraption that takes oil and sprays it (like a windex bottle) so you don't use much but it basically works the way PAM would for keeping the stick away.

Conley
09-11-2011, 02:34 PM

Hey. I think it's great. Like I said, it's actually good for you and the way you make it it eliminates all of the negatives. I don;t like it without a lot of salt but that's just me.

It's also good with the big salt -- kosher and/or spices. I have some funky salts like Mesquite. I figure the salt is ok if I'm going to sweat it out.

I think there are different sizes of the Whirley Pop but mine is probably pretty typical it fits nicely on the burner and is probably about 12 inches across

Mister D
09-11-2011, 02:35 PM

It's also good with the big salt -- kosher and/or spices. I have some funky salts like Mesquite. I figure the salt is ok if I'm going to sweat it out.

I think there are different sizes of the Whirley Pop but mine is probably pretty typical it fits nicely on the burner and is probably about 12 inches across

How do you clean it? Will it fit into the sink?

Mister D
09-11-2011, 02:37 PM

Yeah, I don't use non-stick pans because of the coatings...they come off and end up in your food. I have health concerns about them as well. I love a good cast iron frying pan but I don't currently have one. I need to pick one up soon. We had a nonstick pan that I used for many years but I want to get away from them. I do use a contraption that takes oil and sprays it (like a windex bottle) so you don't use much but it basically works the way PAM would for keeping the stick away.

PAM is all fat. Now that's misleading labeling. They say there are zero grams of fat per serving but there over 1200 servings in a can! :D

Yeah, I should probably scrap my non-stick and get a new one. I'm not all that concerned but it might be wise to switch them up annually, you know?

Conley
09-11-2011, 02:40 PM

PAM is all fat. Now that's misleading labeling. They say there are zero grams of fat per serving but there over 1200 servings in a can! :D

Yeah, I should probably scrap my non-stick and get a new one. I'm not all that concerned but it might be wise to switch them up annually, you know?

Yeah they are cheap enough that you get a new one every couple of years. I would.

Conley
09-11-2011, 02:41 PM

It fits in the sink but really if you use it once a week or so you don't even need to clean it. It's basically like a seasoned pan. I hate cleaning pots and pans but really it's not necessary with this contraption.

Conley
09-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Wow I had no idea about PAM. That's ridiculous. 1200 servings? :D By those definitions McDonalds fries don't have any fat either. They're zero calories!

Mister D
09-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Wow I had no idea about PAM. That's ridiculous. 1200 servings? :D By those definitions McDonalds fries don't have any fat either. They're zero calories!

Exactly. How can a product that is nearly 100% fat have no fat per serving? Easy. You make the servings tiny. A serving of PAM is a 1/3 of second spray! :D ::)

My bad. There are 702 servings in a bottle of PAM. Not 1200. I am prone to exaggeration. ;D

Mister D
09-11-2011, 02:55 PM
http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/pam.gif

Mister D
09-11-2011, 02:56 PM

It fits in the sink but really if you use it once a week or so you don't even need to clean it. It's basically like a seasoned pan. I hate cleaning pots and pans but really it's not necessary with this contraption.

That's a HUGE bonus. I'm going to buy one soon then.

Conley
09-11-2011, 03:05 PM
:rofl:

See they've shot themselves in the foot because they can't come out with the 'light' version ;)

Conley
09-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Yep, it's a nifty contraption. I got mine through Amazon...free shipping and best of all no taxes! :-) I think it was $20 or $25...that and a bag of corn kernels has lasted a long time compared to paying $3 for a bag of chips or Doritos.

Mister D
09-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Yep, it's a nifty contraption. I got mine through Amazon...free shipping and best of all no taxes! :-) I think it was $20 or $25...that and a bag of corn kernels has lasted a long time compared to paying $3 for a bag of chips or Doritos.

Ah, Amazon you say? Well I'll make that part of my next book order. I'll do it for Politirant! 8)

Mister D
09-11-2011, 03:13 PM

See they've shot themselves in the foot because they can't come out with the 'light' version ;)

I see there are at least 8 varieties of PAM. As misleading as it is there is a place for it. It's not synthetic crap. You can get the olive oil version. It's probably great to lube the grill plate.

Conley
09-11-2011, 03:17 PM

I see there are at least 8 varieties of PAM. As misleading as it is there is a place for it. It's not synthetic crap. You can get the olive oil version. It's probably great to lube the grill plate.

That's true but I think it is more that PAM is a marketing success. All you do is take a small bottle of olive oil or canola and put one of those spritzers on it (like a windex bottle top, but obviously not one that has been used for chemicals) and you have something much healthier much cheaper and just as effective.

Conley
09-11-2011, 03:18 PM

Ah, Amazon you say? Well I'll make that part of my next book order. I'll do it for Politirant! 8)

:D you are a hero of the people!

MMC
09-11-2011, 11:49 PM
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1082594828977&id=6c81302fc15cb8fb4ec266416734b605&url=http%3a%2f%2fstatic.flickr.com%2f78%2f17255273 2_ba123f7705_z.jpg http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1229944856511&id=cec3da579ce208d7b6d6ba4836c7812e

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1239930571515&id=014acb288068e517a8b412060bfe533c&url=http%3a%2f%2fcaptions.50g.com%2fpix%2ftd09.jpe g

Just one of the Side effects to Micro-waved popcorn. If the tatse don't kill ya. Then the Smell will. :D

Mister D
09-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Jiify Pop tastes great. I was never good at cooking that though. :-[

Conley
09-12-2011, 10:55 AM

That and the microwave popcorn, I often end up somehow with a bunch of unpopped kernels and burned popcorn at the same time. Why?? :'(

Mister D
09-12-2011, 11:05 AM

That and the microwave popcorn, I often end up somehow with a bunch of unpopped kernels and burned popcorn at the same time. Why?? :'(

I like stale and lightly burned popcorn at times. Not sure why.

Conley
09-12-2011, 11:16 AM

Because you are a weirdo? :-* ;D

Actually I think I might be the same, but only slightly stale and slightly burned. Too much and I am pitching it.

Mister D
09-12-2011, 11:20 AM

Because you are a weirdo? :-* ;D

Actually I think I might be the same, but only slightly stale and slightly burned. Too much and I am pitching it.

I hear ya. It's gross and stinks up the whole building when it's badly burned.