PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone about to blow?

Peter1469
01-06-2016, 10:45 PM
Yellowstone about to blow? Scientists warning over SUPER-VOLCANO that could kill MILLIONSA super-volcano will make the man-made global warming issue look like a rounding error. This would be a life changing event for many people around the world.

SCIENTISTS have warned the world is in "volcano season" and there is up to a 10% chance of an eruption soon killing millions of people and devastating the planet.
Instances of volcanic eruptions are their highest for 300 years and scientists fear a major one that could kill millions and devastate the planet is a real possibility.

Experts at the European Science Foundation said volcanoes – especially super-volcanoes like the one at Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, which has a caldera measuring 34 by 45 miles (55 by 72 km) - pose more threat to Earth and the survival of humans than asteroids, earthquakes, nuclear war and global warming.

There are few real contingency plans in place to deal with the ticking time bomb, which they conclude is likely to go off within the next 80 years.

The world's most dangerous active volcanoes include Yellowstone, Mount Vesuvius in Campagnia, Italy, and Popocatépetl i near Mexico City.If any of them or other massive volcanic peaks suffered a major eruption the team said millions of people would die and earth’s atmosphere would be poisoned with ash and other toxins "beyond the imagination of anything man’s activity and global warming could do over 1,000 years.

sachem
01-06-2016, 10:56 PM
If it's time to go, it's time to go. Volcano, North Korea, etc., something is gonna get us one of these days.

Peter1469
01-06-2016, 10:57 PM
All the more reason to colonize the Moon and Mars.

Cthulhu
01-06-2016, 11:06 PM
Yellowstone about to blow? Scientists warning over SUPER-VOLCANO that could kill MILLIONSA super-volcano will make the man-made global warming issue look like a rounding error. This would be a life changing event for many people around the world.
Of it does go, and I don't post for a while, assume I've joined the ranks of the undead.

...brains... *lurch*

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.

Peter1469
01-07-2016, 07:18 AM
Of it does go, and I don't post for a while, assume I've joined the ranks of the undead.

...brains... *lurch*

How close are you guys?

Cthulhu
01-07-2016, 09:30 AM
How close are you guys?
105 miles.

Peter1469
01-07-2016, 09:31 AM
105 miles.

Too close for a super-volcano. Although the prevailing winds should blow more east than south.

Gypsy
01-07-2016, 09:44 AM
It will happen one day. Maybe today, maybe in 10,000 years. Nothing we can do to prevent an eruption.

CreepyOldDude
01-15-2016, 12:59 PM
It will happen one day. Maybe today, maybe in 10,000 years. Nothing we can do to prevent an eruption.

I'm trying to think of anything that could be done. Maybe drilling into the magma chamber? But that would pose the very real possibility of causing an eruption.

Truth Detector
01-15-2016, 01:02 PM
I saw a great documentary on this once; it is a plausible scenario and one we do not want to see happening. It would have global consequences.

Truth Detector
01-15-2016, 01:03 PM
I'm trying to think of anything that could be done. Maybe drilling into the magma chamber? But that would pose the very real possibility of causing an eruption.

The arrogance of man can no more control volcanic eruptions than he can changing the climate.

MisterVeritis
01-15-2016, 01:04 PM
Yellowstone about to blow? Scientists warning over SUPER-VOLCANO that could kill MILLIONS

A super-volcano will make the man-made global warming issue look like a rounding error. This would be a life changing event for many people around the world.
This is covered in one section of one chapter of the book I am still writing.

Truth Detector
01-15-2016, 01:18 PM
This is covered in one section of one chapter of the book I am still writing.

You're writing a book??? Cool beans!!

CreepyOldDude
01-15-2016, 01:53 PM
The arrogance of man can no more control volcanic eruptions than he can changing the climate.

So, then, it's easy to do. Cool.

MisterVeritis
01-15-2016, 02:38 PM
You're writing a book??? Cool beans!!
Yep. I believe I will be ready to publish by the first week of February. The first half of the book is back from my editor. She recommended minor changes, all except one I accepted.

Don
01-17-2016, 10:25 PM
From the National Park Service..

Current geologic activity at Yellowstone has remained relatively constant since scientists first started monitoring more than 30 years ago. Another caldera-forming eruption is theoretically possible, but it is very unlikely in the next thousand or even 10,000 years. Scientists have also found no indication of an imminent smaller eruption of lava.

But if there is another supervolcano and eventually there will be...

Some scientists consider Yellowstone to be a “supervolcano,” which refers to volcano capable of an eruption of more than 240 cubic miles of magma. Two of Yellowstone’s three major eruptions met the criteria.

When Mt. St. Helens last erupted it blasted 1/4 cubic mile of magma. Almost 1000 times less than a supervolcano. We had ash covering our cars like a light snow in my hometown 35 miles North West of Denver. I hope when that thing does go again we will have the scientific knowledge and technology to mitigate it. Otherwise Mexico is going to get one hell of a lot of illegal aliens.

Doublejack
01-18-2016, 02:06 AM
The closer the better when it comes to a super volcano or a ground zero nuclear blast.

Peter1469
01-18-2016, 09:15 AM
The closer the better when it comes to a super volcano or a ground zero nuclear blast.

I would rather the opportunity to survive.