PDA

View Full Version : This Is England The Movie

Conley
09-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Anyone seen it?

Looks great

This is England: Mods, New Romantics, and Skinheads are the major youth sub-cultures of this very English summer of 1983 and young 12-year-old Shaun is left wandering aimlessly alone and lost during the start of his school holidays, until his chance meeting with Woody and his fun and friendly Skinhead pack. Finding a new lease of life; girls, parties, Ben Sherman shirts, Doc Martin boots and shaven hairstyles young Shaun is welcomed, life during this summer holiday has got a whole lot better. That is until Combo arrives on the scene bitter, dangerous, racist, militant and psychotic life for young Shaun has just approached his first major crossroads. This is England is a look back at the early eighties of British working-class life through the eyes of young Shaun and his new gang, and dealing with the bitterness of outside influences such as racism and xenophobia, of mass unemployment and the fall out of the Falkland's War; Thatcher's Britain: Did we ever have it so good...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480025/mediaindex

It seems England has the same problems today it had thirty years ago, only worse?

Conley
09-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Whatcha think Pen?

Mister D
09-12-2011, 01:40 PM
I've actually seen it! Well, parts of it anyway. I likes me "racism and xenophobia". ;) Actually, I was kind of bored. I think I went back to reading.

Conley
09-12-2011, 01:45 PM
I've actually seen it! Well, parts of it anyway. I likes me "racism and xenophobia". ;) Actually, I was kind of bored. I think I went back to reading.

Bummer...I feel like I've seen it before but not sure. The little kid is great. What a filthy mouth. ;D

There's also a store called Mister D's :D

If you like the collapse of England, skinheads and all that this was a very good flick, with Michael Caine. Depressing...

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM5NjE2NzI2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDY0ODUyMw@@._ V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

England is starting to look like a hell hole to me.

Conley
09-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Jeez this movie is sad...poor kid and graffiti on the side of churches too :-\

Mister D
09-12-2011, 02:37 PM
In the late 1970s the UK was in serious economic trouble. Worse than today.

Conley
09-14-2011, 02:17 PM
This is the weirdest skin head movie ever. One of the skin heads is a black and they all seem terrified of the boy's mum. It's kinda a snoozefest.

Mister D
09-14-2011, 03:04 PM
This is the weirdest skin head movie ever. One of the skin heads is a black and they all seem terrified of the boy's mum. It's kinda a snoozefest.

Apparently, there are racist skinheads and some kind of other skinheads. I forget who is who

Juggernaut
09-14-2011, 07:27 PM
I've been to London 3 times since the 80's. It has changed into a multicultural hodgepodge of "minority reports" couple with weirdoism supported as important to self identity. Even the muslims fear those people! ;D I'll look for the movie, sounds interesting.

Conley
09-14-2011, 07:32 PM

Bummer...I feel like I've seen it before but not sure. The little kid is great. What a filthy mouth. ;D

There's also a store called Mister D's :D

If you like the collapse of England, skinheads and all that this was a very good flick, with Michael Caine. Depressing...

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM5NjE2NzI2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDY0ODUyMw@@._ V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

England is starting to look like a hell hole to me.

Where did my Harry Brown poster go?

>:(

This is what I meant to post up:

http://uncivilpeasants.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/hb-poster.jpg

It's like Gran Torino for the Brits ;) Love it.

In rereading my post I see the movie probably picks up once this "Combo" appears...I haven't gotten there yet. That should make things more exciting. >:D

Juggernaut
09-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Caine's a great actor, looks like a good movie based on the description at IMDB.com

Conley
09-14-2011, 07:51 PM
from IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1289406/

This film accurately depicts life in modern Britain today.

Not the image of a flowing rolling countryside of middle class England which is often depicted in typical international films but one of an inner city "sink" estate - Elephant & Castle in London - with all of its associated problems.

I saw the film last night and it brought back all the memories I have of having lived in similar circumstances.

Michael Caine is excellent, this is probably one of his best films and I expect film nominations for his role.

The film gives a gritty but realistic view of the life most people live on the sink estates of Britain, all are there through no choice of their own, but some are aware of the conditions they are forced to live in.

I don't think we'll see the British government promoting this film as it portraits the country in a very bad light, though, if you are not from Britain and would like a taste of what some of us have to put up with I recommend you see this film.

Overall, a very well put together film which will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up at times.

Well done Michael and all of the team.