PDA

View Full Version : Obama Picks More Females and Minorities For Judges.....

MMC
09-13-2011, 06:00 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-picks-more-females-minorities-judges-070944110.html
AP – 3 hrs ago.....
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is moving at a historic pace to try to diversify the nation's federal judiciary: Nearly three of every four people he has gotten confirmed to the federal bench are women or minorities. He is the first president who hasn't selected a majority of white males for lifetime judgeships.

More than 70 percent of Obama's confirmed judicial nominees during his first two years were "non-traditional," or nominees who were not white males. That far exceeds the percentages in the two-term administrations of Bill Clinton (48.1 percent) and George W. Bush (32.9 percent), according to Sheldon Goldman, author of the authoritative book "Picking Federal Judges."

The White House recently has been touting its efforts to diversify the federal bench during Obama's tenure, now approaching three years in office.

Of the 98 Obama nominees confirmed to date, the administration says 21 percent are African-American, 11 percent are Hispanic, 7 percent are Asian-American and almost half — 47 percent — are women. By comparison, of the 322 judges confirmed during George W. Bush's presidency, 18 percent were minorities and 22 percent were female. Of the 372 judges confirmed during Clinton's terms, 25 percent were minorities and 29 percent were women. In these figures, some judges fit into more than one category.

Last week, the Senate confirmed the first African-American woman to sit on the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati, Bernice Donald. Earlier, she was the first African-American woman elected as a judge in Tennessee, the first appointed as federal bankruptcy judge in the nation and first confirmed as a U.S. district judge in Tennessee.
Obama also has doubled the number of Asian-Americans sitting on the federal bench, including adding Denny Chin to the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York as the only active Asian federal appeals court judge. There currently are 14 Asian-American federal judges on the 810-judge roster.

The makeup of the federal bench could be a major issue during the Senate, House and presidential elections in 2012.
According to the Federal Judicial Center, there are 94 vacancies in the federal courts, with 55 nominees awaiting Senate action.....snip~

Looks Like Obama is keeping that promise to Transform America. Also looks like he is catering to Women and minorties for those votes? Because he puts more women and minorites on the bench and with lifetime appointments does not mean this is best for our Judicial System. How is it diversity if All the women Judges are liberal? What would they differ upon when it comes down to core principles? Not a damn thing. Either way Obama has the numbers that shows he has done something unprecedented with the Picking of Judges as a President. Not to mention didn't he say something about trying to get theose Special Interest Groups out of Washington. Wonder what happened to that pledge? He wants to highlight this and tout this Because there really isnt much else he can show other than getting Bin Laden. Hopefully some people will wake up and start putting a check to these people. Maybe even enough to take away Lifetime Appointments permanently from All of them period.
We should also mandate that these Judges always have to have a psychological every 3 yrs. This way we can be assured they are not going senile or losing their marbles. >:(

Conley
09-13-2011, 09:40 AM
It is strange to me that the one promise he made and kept to the far left are the judicial appointments. Not much of his other actions have been that far left in my opinion -- mostly continuation of bush policies -- but these appointments are way lefty. I hope at the least these people are qualified for the bench, but I don't like politics in the judicial system. I know it is unavoidable but please no activists at least.

MMC
09-13-2011, 10:22 AM
It is strange to me that the one promise he made and kept to the far left are the judicial appointments. Not much of his other actions have been that far left in my opinion -- mostly continuation of bush policies -- but these appointments are way lefty. I hope at the least these people are qualified for the bench, but I don't like politics in the judicial system. I know it is unavoidable but please no activists at least.

Historic pace to put women and minorities on the bench. Lets see Kagen had no Judicial experience. Then he pops Sotomayor just to hold the latin Vote. Then makes Holder the AG. Who thinks he can apply US law to that Worldly UN law. Not to mention Obama was a Professor of Law and never had any actual Judicical Experience anyways. Yet he was surrounded by Jackson and Sharptones. Can't get anymore activist-like than that.

Conley
09-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Yes, both are minorities but there is a world of difference between a Sotomayor and a Thomas.

Mister D
09-13-2011, 10:27 AM
The appointment of Sotomayor was pure pandering. On the other hand, we have an affirmative action President and Attorney General so why not a Justice?

MMC
09-13-2011, 10:31 AM
The appointment of Sotomayor was pure pandering. On the other hand, we have an affirmative action President and Attorney General so why not a Justice?

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1187268273150&id=5988dad15fe7e753f75bdeba2b609ab7&url=http%3a%2f%2frlv.zcache.com%2fricochet_rabbit_ and_droop_a_long_poster-p228565752260594955vsu7_325.jpg

Cuz, like Cube said.....who ya foolin? :D