PDA

View Full Version : Recovering US Job Market is Leaving Black Men Behind.....

MMC
09-13-2011, 07:23 AM
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2011/0726/Recovering-US-job-market-is-leaving-black-men-behind

The unemployment rate for black men stands at 17 percent, more than double that of white men. An education gap, criminal records, and racial bias all contribute to problems in the job market, experts say. What type of intervention would help?

For them, the Great Recession not only led to the largest increase in unemployment for any category of American worker, but it also is pinching a lot longer. About 1 in 6 black men over age 20 in the labor force is jobless – and that number has barely improved since the economic recovery officially began two years ago.

The change has been dramatic. The jobless rate, 7.5 percent in prerecession days, is now 17 percent – more than double the rate for white men. The ramifications are dramatic: a slide out of the middle class; greater dependence on public assistance; new strain on families, including the challenge of meeting mortgage or child-support payments; and more homelessness.

Black men find it harder to land jobs for many reasons. Competition is fierce – in June, 4.7 unemployed job seekers for every opening – and a single blemish on a résumé can mean an employer will choose someone else. Among other hurdles for African-American men:

•A disproportionate number have criminal records. Black men are incarcerated at more than six times the rate of white men and 2.6 times the rate of His*panic men, reports Human Rights Watch.

•Fewer have college degrees, which are a big bonus in the job market. Among men, 17.9 percent of blacks over 25 have college degrees, compared with 34.2 percent of whites, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.

•Semiskilled jobs and unskilled jobs, which are often filled by those without a college education, are on the decline.

•Federal spending is likely to shrink, including funding for programs aimed at reducing black joblessness.

•Racism persists in hiring and firing despite antidiscrimination laws, studies show.....snip~

So now you tell me why Black young males are going to vote for Obama? They are being told racism exists. Does it show? I know this is by urban settings.....right? What has Obama done to help any of this situation? How does this affect blacks with respects of what they are being told. Now how does Republican Policy affect those living in nearly an all Democratic Led City Government. Think the people of these cities can be lied to that it is the Republicans fault? Who is going after their Unions, laying off their people, and going after their benefits that they paid into?

Conley
09-13-2011, 09:38 AM
I take issues with the part about 'recovering US Job market..."

Recovering how? It still looks terrible to me. I agree Obama has done nothing to help the black unemployment rate. In fact, he's done nothing to help the overall unemployment rate either. He decided to take care of his Wall Street buddies first and that's fine, just don't expect to get any votes next time around.

MMC
09-13-2011, 10:08 AM

Recovering how? It still looks terrible to me. I agree Obama has done nothing to help the black unemployment rate. In fact, he's done nothing to help the overall unemployment rate either. He decided to take care of his Wall Street buddies first and that's fine, just don't expect to get any votes next time around.

Plus the CBO was saying the Unemployment was going to remain over 9% until mid-way of 2014. I thought this might catch the D-Man's eye. ;)

Mister D
09-13-2011, 10:11 AM

Plus the CBO was saying the Unemployment was going to remain over 9% until mid-way of 2014. I thought this might catch the D-Man's eye. ;)

What ever do you mean, MMC? ??? ;D

MMC
09-13-2011, 10:16 AM

:D Just think if I would have put this up at PH and had you by my side. I bet I can get off a Good 50-60 posts. :D ;D ;)

Mister D
09-13-2011, 10:25 AM

:D Just think if I would have put this up at PH and had you by my side. I bet I can get off a Good 50-60 posts. :D ;D ;)

At least. ::) That would cause a storm. My pimp is still a little sore from PH.

MMC
09-13-2011, 10:34 AM

So what ya think here D.....lets see if you can draw a few of our libs out. ;)

Mister D
09-13-2011, 10:35 AM

Ah, I'm not really interested in going back there, MMC. I'm all about the 'Rant. Put up somethng provocative. They will come.

MMC
09-13-2011, 10:41 AM

Ah, I'm not really interested in going back there, MMC. I'm all about the 'Rant. Put up somethng provocative. They will come.

Thats what I meant.....here! We have 3 libs here now. Pen, HR, and Elibe. Surely this had to catch their attention. >:D

Mister D
09-13-2011, 10:45 AM

Thats what I meant.....here! We have 3 libs here now. Pen, HR, and Elibe. Surely this had to catch their attention. >:D

:D Oh! My bad, paisan.

I haven't seen HR in a while

Conley
09-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Hey I'm a Lib too :o :o ;D :D

MMC
09-13-2011, 11:07 AM

Hear that D.....CL is a Lib too. :'( :'( ??? >:( :D

Conley
09-13-2011, 11:25 AM

Ack! My cover is blown!

^-^

MMC
09-13-2011, 11:32 AM

Ack! My cover is blown!

^-^

:D "What" you didn't think we knew. Not like buying an over-abundance of pork wouldn't have reminded of us how, Nothing Exceeds Like Excess. ::) :D ;D Ahahahahahahaha.

wingrider
09-15-2011, 01:05 AM

oh say it isn't so.. and you seemed like such a nice young man.

i am shocked I tell ya.... shocked

MMC
09-15-2011, 06:14 AM

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1230299274366&id=4030aaa0eafc3e32f911e227c18bd25b&url=http%3a%2f%2fblog.seattlepi.com%2feastsideinsi de%2ffiles%2flibrary%2fhappyhoursign.jpg

Methink CL's version of Lib. Stands for Libations! O0 ;D

Conley
09-15-2011, 08:59 AM

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1230299274366&id=4030aaa0eafc3e32f911e227c18bd25b&url=http%3a%2f%2fblog.seattlepi.com%2feastsideinsi de%2ffiles%2flibrary%2fhappyhoursign.jpg

:rofl:

hick...now whush makes you say thaa MMC? hick...

:drinkupbitchesuo1:

MMC
09-15-2011, 09:07 AM

:rofl:

hick...now whush makes you say thaa MMC? hick...

:drinkupbitchesuo1:

Well I was going to ask Bloody Mary but I see she got Topped by Miller. :D ;D

Conley
09-15-2011, 09:10 AM
yeah i needed to add a one to that number last night...couldnt find the keyboard...hick

i'll make ya a BM anytime ;D