PDA

View Full Version : Bankrupt Hawaii Paying the NFL 4 Million Per Year

Conley
09-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Now this is some dumb azz schnit:

HONOLULU -- Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie said Thursday it's "so stupid" that the cash-strapped state pays millions to host the Pro Bowl when the money could be used for education.

Abercrombie said he opposes a deal the state made in 2009 to pay $4 million per game for the rights to hold the NFL's all-star game in Hawaii this and next year.

"You can't do things like give 4 million bucks to a $9 billion football industry and not give any money to children," Abercrombie said as he announced early-childhood education and health plans. "You've got this spectacle of these multimillionaires and billionaires out there arguing about how they're going to divide it up, and then they come and ask us to bribe them with $4 million to have a scrimmage out here in paradise.

"We've got to get our values straight and our priorities straight," he said.

The Pro Bowl returned to Aloha Stadium this year after it was played in Miami in 2010, breaking up a 30-year run in Hawaii in which every game was a sellout.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6645862

No way can you justify that expense...I'm sure they get some money from the hotel rooms, restaurants, etc. but people would visit Hawaii regardless and who care about the Pro Bowl?

Conley
09-13-2011, 11:42 AM
This makes no sense:

"Tourism officials said this January's Pro Bowl attracted 17,000 visitors to the state, generated $28.15 million in visitor spending and created $3.07 million in state taxes from people who traveled to attend the game."

So 28.15 Million divided by 17,000 means that a family of four spent $6700 while there just for the Pro Bowl? No way.

MMC
09-13-2011, 11:44 AM
I think it is a waste as well. They Should be having the NFL pay them to play the shit out in Paradise.

Mister D
09-13-2011, 12:25 PM
This makes no sense:

"Tourism officials said this January's Pro Bowl attracted 17,000 visitors to the state, generated $28.15 million in visitor spending and created $3.07 million in state taxes from people who traveled to attend the game."

So 28.15 Million divided by 17,000 means that a family of four spent $6700 while there just for the Pro Bowl? No way.

Wouldn't advertisers spend a lot too? I'm not sire how this stuff works.

Conley
09-13-2011, 12:27 PM
This makes no sense:

Wouldn't advertisers spend a lot too? I'm not sire how this stuff works.

Yes, I expect they would. Any TV ad revenue would go to the NFL and the networks, but the stadium and local economy might make money if they did advertising just for that one game? Generally stadium advertising is sold for the season but having the Pro Bowl there that would be built into the price.

MMC
09-13-2011, 07:09 PM
I never watch the game anyways. Once the SuperBowl is over with no point really. Maybe they should play that game during the season and not at the end. Or at the beginning.

Conley
09-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Yep me neither. Never saw the point.

Mister D
09-13-2011, 07:35 PM
I never watched a Pro Bowl. Why watch a meaningless game?

Conley
09-13-2011, 07:43 PM
I never watched a Pro Bowl. Why watch a meaningless game?

That's why I think if people aren't even going to turn on their TV to watch it, why on earth would they fly to Hawaii just for that? No way. Plus if you're in Hawaii there's a ton more fun and exciting things to do than bake in a stadium for three hours watching athletes not even trying that hard.

Mister D
09-13-2011, 08:01 PM
I'd imagine there is a reason they are doing this though. What? I have no idea. ???

MMC
09-14-2011, 04:02 AM
I'd imagine there is a reason they are doing this though. What? I have no idea. ???

Because in Democratic Governments.....Democrats will find one way or another to get their hands into the cookie jar.

Conley
09-14-2011, 08:13 AM

I am certain the 'decision makers' get something out of this. Free tickets that they can resell (the locals do go to the game) is probably just a part of it.