PDA

View Full Version : NFL Elite QBs

Conley
09-14-2011, 08:14 PM
I keep seeing this term thrown around.

Here are a couple of examples:

John Clayton on ESPN:

"To refresh your memory, an elite quarterback under my standards is one who is capable of passing for 4,000 yards, completes 60 percent of his passes and has fourth-quarter comeback ability. Until Manning returns, the five AFC elite quarterbacks are Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Tom Brady, Joe Flacco and Matt Schaub."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6968750/nfl-ugly-week-1-loss-pittsburgh-steelers-fine-2011

How can you have 5 elite QBs from one conference? So top third of the league equals elite??

And this guy from NFL.com:

"Setting aside Eli's silly assertion, which of these fellas does NOT rank among the game's top tier of QBs?
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger
Mike Vick"

http://davedameshek.nfl.com/?module=HP11_cp

Notice anyone missing from that second list (includes AFC and NFC). Yeah, some chump who won the SB last year.

So who is on your list and what is their rank?

Here's mine:

#1 Brady
#2 Manning (Peyton, Eli doesn't even register)
#3 Rodgers
#4 Big Ben
#5 Brees
#6 Rivers

Whatdya think?

D, I especially want to know your thoughts, and Dan Marino retired recently so that's why I left him off the list ;D

wingrider
09-15-2011, 01:25 AM
there is only one

John Elway

MMC
09-15-2011, 06:01 AM
Today's Brady, P. Manning and Aaron Rodgers.Farve is no doubt thee MAN.....then Elway and Marino.

wingrider
09-15-2011, 06:17 AM
put Elway first and you got it..

I am from colorado so I have to go with Elway for #1

MMC
09-15-2011, 08:10 AM

Have to disagree there buddy.....Now you can name any of these QB's and only one resembles this Man.

Bobby Douglass - Chicago Bears QB (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGaczuyWtCU#)

What QB do you know today that can throw for 4 touchdowns with a broken-wrist on his throwing arm? Farve is about the closest. But not even on his best day. What QB has the most rushing yards and even a higher avg than most Top RB's? Including Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, or any premiere back in the league. What other QB could throw the Ball even harder than Farve, Brady, Manning, Elway or Marino. Even damn near able to rip another players helmet off just by throwing the ball to him.

This guy right here.....and he played for DA BEARS! Whch I think they ended up 4-8. ;) ;D

Conley
09-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Today's Brady, P. Manning and Aaron Rodgers.Farve is no doubt thee MAN.....then Elway and Marino.

I would have to take Elway over Favre any day of the week and twice on Sunday ;)

Is a Bears fan really talking about how great Favre is ???

bobby was a bad bad man. 8) impressive stuff.

MMC
09-15-2011, 10:03 AM

I would have to take Elway over Favre any day of the week and twice on Sunday ;)

:D Farve was drafted by Atlanta and that is the First Official Football card he is in. Wearing an Atlanta Falcons Uniform.....Guess who has that card. ;D ;)

Conley
09-15-2011, 10:14 AM

:D Farve was drafted by Atlanta and that is the First Official Football card he is in. Wearing an Atlanta Falcons Uniform.....Guess who has that card. ;D ;)

Sweeeet. I wonder how much it is worth? A lot I bet.

Mister D
09-15-2011, 10:23 AM

I had Dan Marino's rookie card. ;D I don't remember what happended to it though. Football cards were never worth much. I think his card was around $60 but I gues it went up by now.

MMC
09-15-2011, 10:38 AM

I gave it to my Step Son since he use to be a Packer Fan/ But now he hates Aaron Rodgers so he is a Minnesota Fan. Actually I have been able to get him some Unique Farve stuff. My oldest son has Da Bears and Da Bulls and the White Sox-South Side!
My Youngest is a Cubs and Hawks Fan. Well We all are Hawks Fans. Tho my youngest likes Carolina for FootBall and Bahston Checlets.
They have MJ's MVP cards signed. Plus Cliff Levingston. Pics of Bob Love and Artemis Gilmore. John Paxson as a player. A host of Bears Players and Footballs signed by Dan Hampton. I have one with Mike Singletary's Signature on it.

Wish I would have saved all of that type of stuff growing up. But i moved around to much. When I was in the Military School. Bears Players always came and visited the school. So I had pics with Doug Plank, Doug Buffone, Bob Avellini, Gary Fencik, Brian Bashnagel. Some of them were later. But I lost them all.

Conley
09-15-2011, 03:55 PM

I had Dan Marino's rookie card. ;D I don't remember what happended to it though. Football cards were never worth much. I think his card was around $60 but I gues it went up by now.

I would guess at least a couple of hundred bucks.

Conley
09-15-2011, 03:57 PM

I gave it to my Step Son since he use to be a Packer Fan/ But now he hates Aaron Rodgers so he is a Minnesota Fan. Actually I have been able to get him some Unique Farve stuff. My oldest son has Da Bears and Da Bulls and the White Sox-South Side!
My Youngest is a Cubs and Hawks Fan. Well We all are Hawks Fans. Tho my youngest likes Carolina for FootBall and Bahston Checlets.
They have MJ's MVP cards signed. Plus Cliff Levingston. Pics of Bob Love and Artemis Gilmore. John Paxson as a player. A host of Bears Players and Footballs signed by Dan Hampton. I have one with Mike Singletary's Signature on it.

Wish I would have saved all of that type of stuff growing up. But i moved around to much. When I was in the Military School. Bears Players always came and visited the school. So I had pics with Doug Plank, Doug Buffone, Bob Avellini, Gary Fencik, Brian Bashnagel. Some of them were later. But I lost them all.

Wow, that is an amazing collection...to think what could have been combining your lost trophies with that of your sons and what you still have. Chicago has had it pretty good with the White Sox, Bears, Bulls and Hawks. Just don't mention them Cubbies! >:D

Captain Obvious
09-15-2011, 06:34 PM

John Clayton on ESPN:

"To refresh your memory, an elite quarterback under my standards is one who is capable of passing for 4,000 yards, completes 60 percent of his passes and has fourth-quarter comeback ability. Until Manning returns, the five AFC elite quarterbacks are Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Tom Brady, Joe Flacco and Matt Schaub."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6968750/nfl-ugly-week-1-loss-pittsburgh-steelers-fine-2011

How can you have 5 elite QBs from one conference? So top third of the league equals elite??

"Setting aside Eli's silly assertion, which of these fellas does NOT rank among the game's top tier of QBs?
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger
Mike Vick"

Notice anyone missing from that second list (includes AFC and NFC). Yeah, some chump who won the SB last year.

Here's mine:

#1 Brady
#3 Rodgers
#4 Big Ben
#5 Brees
#6 Rivers

Whatdya think?

D, I especially want to know your thoughts, and Dan Marino retired recently so that's why I left him off the list ;D

I understand your criteria but there would be in my book more criteria to define an elite QB - some intangible criteria also like playoff game, conference championship and SB wins (and losses).

I didn't crunch numbers here but I would state that there are two active elite QB's in the league - Peyton and Brady. Couple of border line QB's also like Roethlisberger - he is too inconsistent to be considered elite IMO but he has won his fair share of big games.

Rogers has to win some more and continue his rate, it's too early to consider him elite at this point. Same with Brees and Rivers.

Vick hasn't done shit at this point to even think about considering him elite.

Conley
09-15-2011, 06:45 PM

John Clayton on ESPN:

Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger
Mike Vick"

Here's mine:

#1 Brady
#3 Rodgers
#4 Big Ben
#5 Brees
#6 Rivers

Whatdya think?

I understand your criteria but there would be in my book more criteria to define an elite QB - some intangible criteria also like playoff game, conference championship and SB wins (and losses).

I didn't crunch numbers here but I would state that there are two active elite QB's in the league - Peyton and Brady. Couple of border line QB's also like Roethlisberger - he is too inconsistent to be considered elite IMO but he has won his fair share of big games.

Rogers has to win some more and continue his rate, it's too early to consider him elite at this point. Same with Brees and Rivers.

Vick hasn't done shit at this point to even think about considering him elite.

Cool...this is the kind of debate I was looking for.

Did I lay out my criteria? It is heavily weighed toward coming up in the big games. That why I have Big Ben ranked as well as I do. I agree there are only two elite QBs. Peyton generally speaking does not come up big in the big games, but his regular seasons are so impressive that I can't drop him too much. Without that one SB win though I would definitely move him down. Before that he had a choking rep and even at Tennessee they won the National Championship the year after he left.

Rodgers and Brees each have a ring, so that puts them above Rivers in my mind. Rodgers still has a lot of career ahead of him whereas Brees will be wrapping up. For that comparison look at how Rodgers figured it out so early whereas it took Brees much longer, and his stats could also be part of the system and playing in a dome. No way does he put up stats like that in a cold weather climate.

Roethlisberger does just enough to win and that's not a knock. He manages the game very well and when the team needs him to step up he usually does. To me he is a big game type of guy, even though his numbers aren't always that great. You can't take away his playoff record...so I'm guessing you would switch #3 and #4 on my list. Is Rodgers right now a better QB than Brees or Rivers? I think he is.

Captain Obvious
09-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Yeah, that was that writers criteria, I noticed that after I posted.

Manning had a reputation of choking in the big game and certainly that's an argument but the guy otherwise has been a fucking machine. This season I think are the first games he's missed since high school, he's started every one of his pro games while on a roster up until this year. That's fucking phenomenal but the guy is like a surgeon when he's playing. He eats, drinks, sleeps football. If he doesn't win another SB, I have little doubt he'll be in the HOF after he retires.

Yeah, Rivers has to win something at this point to consider him elite, right now he's just a stud. Brees is in the same boat as Rogers, I need to see what they've done after the next 5 years. Same for Ben. He's won two and lost one. I guess if that keeps up, probably but he is very inconsistent. He started right out of the gate in that second season like he was going to eat the entire NFL and shit lombardi's but that SBXL appearance was pathetic. You can point to the Steelers O-line also and make the suggestion that Ben's gotten injured and pressured to the point that his effectiveness has faltered but if the guy is truly elite, he would work around that obstacle. When he first came into the league, he had this ridiculous stat on passing completions when he was forced out of the pocked. His QB rating in those circumstances were off the charts - he made plays when the pocket broke down and he was a running threat. What ever happened to that? That vanished at some point and it's part of the reason why I'm on the fence with the guy in terms of eliteness.

Conley
09-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Manning's durability is a great point. That is huge and something that I overlooked. No team is going to get far with a second string QB, there aren't even 32 legit first stringers in the league. Also his film study and the way he works...very few guys are like that and fewer still once they've gotten the success he has. Jerry Rice was another.

Roethlisburger has been a beast behind that somewhat sketchy O-line. Smaller QBs would definitely not be able to take the pounding and a lot of them will just drop and take the sack where Ben completes passes all the time with guys hanging on him (part of why he throws picks too imo, and maybe it's not worth it at times). His scrambling ability may have slipped with all that pounding that he's taken. A QB just getting to three SB is pretty freaking good, and even Tom Brady lost one (yeah, so he's been to four but still).

Rivers has actually been pretty dismal in playoff games. There have been bigger reasons why SD hasn't gone far in the playoffs (Nate Kaeding not able to hit 35 yd field goals) but to be fair he's been a part of it. His playoff numbers aren't good...it might be because he's not running up the score on some of those awful Raider/Chief/Bronco teams of years past.

Captain Obvious
09-15-2011, 07:07 PM
I really haven't followed Rivers that closely but I do know that he was the guy the Steelers were targeting when they drafted Ben.

Mister D
09-15-2011, 07:10 PM
There have been bigger reasons why SD hasn't gone far in the playoffs ...

Indeed, there have.

http://www.glorifythepast.com/forums/attachments/dan-fouts-2368304-c-jpg.5902/

Dan retired. I guess I have a thing for QBs named Dan. ???

Conley
09-15-2011, 07:11 PM
I really haven't followed Rivers that closely but I do know that he was the guy the Steelers were targeting when they drafted Ben.

Yeah, the Chargers made out like bandits in that draft because they actually drafted Sheli. He refused to play for San Diego :D and they ended up with Rivers, Merriman (who was a beast pre-injury and when he was roided up) and Kaeding (who like Rivers is nails in the regular season)

Conley
09-15-2011, 07:13 PM

Indeed, there have.

:D You have a thing for sports in the 80s

Dan Fouts is awesome. He used to wear a hat that read MFIC around the team.

MFer In Charge

Captain Obvious
09-15-2011, 07:14 PM
I know a few years earlier when we had Kordell, we drafted a DE in the first round and immediately tried to trade a following pick to the Jets for that QB - I can't remember his name now. He made a little noise but didn't amount to much. Got hurt and traded, then vanished.

I just googled him - Chad Pennington. I think he wound up in Miami and might be sleeping with the fishes at this point.

Mister D
09-15-2011, 07:15 PM

Indeed, there have.

:D You have a thing for sports in the 80s

Dan Fouts is awesome. He used to wear a hat that read HMIC around the team.

Head MFer In Charge

Ah, maybe it's an 80s thing!

Wow that's a ballsy hat to wear.

Conley
09-15-2011, 07:17 PM
MFIC: Dan Fouts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUcsLRX4pA#ws)

Conley
09-15-2011, 07:18 PM
I messed up the letters on his hat. He's going to hunt me down and kick my ass. :-\ :'(

Conley
09-15-2011, 07:20 PM
I know a few years earlier when we had Kordell, we drafted a DE in the first round and immediately tried to trade a following pick to the Jets for that QB - I can't remember his name now. He made a little noise but didn't amount to much. Got hurt and traded, then vanished.

I just googled him - Chad Pennington. I think he wound up in Miami and might be sleeping with the fishes at this point.

Yeah he had a ton of shoulder injuries and surgeries. He was decent for Miami and the Jets considering their other options, but he was never anything special. Without the damage who knows. I forgot all about Slash. That was a weird deal.

Captain Obvious
09-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Yeah, "Korky".

I've been meaning to compile a list of QB duds for the Steeler forum I'm on, but here's a short one. We've not had a lot of quality QB's.

Tommy Maddox - won some games, lost one big one and got ran out of town
Kordell Stewart - The Cowher Kisser
Mike Tomczak - Bears guy
Neil O'Donnell - got us to a SB, probably the third best QB ever in Steeler history
Bubby "I ain't no mop up man" Brister
Mark "Magnum QB" Malone - holds the longest pass RECEPTION in Steeler history
Kent Graham - had the mobility of a fire plug
Jim Miller - another Bears guy, didn't do much
Steve Bono - strike guy, got the job as a scab, didn't do much

Jimo
09-15-2011, 08:30 PM

It's a big deal when an elite quarterback comes in on the heels of a (departing) elite quarterback. Most of the time the QBs who follow the great ones are duds.

Conley
09-15-2011, 08:41 PM

It's a big deal when an elite quarterback comes in on the heels of a (departing) elite quarterback. Most of the time the QBs who follow the great ones are duds.

That's true but I think Bronco fans would love to have Jake Plummer back.

He wasn't bad at all, but they drafted Jay Cutler instead. And the rest is history...

wingrider
09-15-2011, 11:14 PM

yep.. and welcome aboard the forum..

MMC
09-16-2011, 01:39 AM

That's true but I think Bronco fans would love to have Jake Plummer back.

He wasn't bad at all, but they drafted Jay Cutler instead. And the rest is history...

They can have Jay Cutler back if they want him. >:D

The Bears have gone thru so many QB's its pathetic. Makes that Steeler's List of yours Cap, look like just a small note. Now they are stuck with Nobody again. Jay Cutler how many interceptions in two yrs. They Should have kept Cutler in the AFC.

Rodgers is susceptible to concussions to. Other than I think he is thee man to beat.
He can run with the ball or throw it. Both Manning and Brady are more pocket passers. Brady has been protected by a big heavy line for years. Which is why he hasnt been hit much. Well and his ability figuring in. Both are more scramblers looking to throw the ball. Rodgers is too. But that youth takes in and he is off and running and he can run to.

Conley
09-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Yeah weird how both Chicago and Pittsburgh have had such a rough time with QBs...and yet you biatchez have Super Bowl rings, so quit whining!

Also don't knock McMahon -- loved that guy.

Denver has already screwed up some of the picks from that Cutler trade. Surprised me but I am not gonna complain...

MMC
09-17-2011, 01:05 AM
Yeah weird how both Chicago and Pittsburgh have had such a rough time with QBs...and yet you biatchez have Super Bowl rings, so quit whining!

Denver has already screwed up some of the picks from that Cutler trade. Surprised me but I am not gonna complain...

Yeah yeah yeah.....So does the Chargers. But it's like something that pre-dates the history of mankind. So most don't remembers it. ;D

Conley
09-17-2011, 01:09 AM

Yeah yeah yeah.....So does the Chargers. But it's like something that pre-dates the history of mankind. So most don't remembers it. ;D

:D The 80s weren't that long ago!

The Chargers don't have any rings...one time they got there and Joe Montana did terrible things to them! :o :'(

MMC
09-17-2011, 01:23 AM

The Chargers don't have any rings...one time they got there and Joe Montana did terrible things to them! :o :'(

You need to recheck ya History my brutha.....the Chargers won the World Championship in 1963. Against the DA Bears. >:( :D

Conley
09-17-2011, 08:46 AM

You need to recheck ya History my brutha.....the Chargers won the World Championship in 1963. Against the DA Bears. >:( :D

Oh you are talking about the AFL, before the merger and the Super Bowl and all that? Gotya. That is ancient!

MMC
09-17-2011, 09:12 AM

Oh you are talking about the AFL, before the merger and the Super Bowl and all that? Gotya. That is ancient!

GOOD MORNIN VIET...erm....my brutha. Woke from that deep sleep eh brutha. ;D
There was some Champs Called the Frankfort Fucks or somethin like that that won the World Championship. Then Some other Team out Of Providence R.I. that won it too. Both then disappeared after a couple of years of winning the Big trophy.

Yeah the good ole days where football required you to be a man. Man up. i miss all those trick plays. Just think if they did some of that today. Add a little more excitement to the game.

Conley
09-17-2011, 09:27 AM

GOOD MORNIN VIET...erm....my brutha. Woke from that deep sleep eh brutha. ;D
There was some Champs Called the Frankfort Fucks or somethin like that that won the World Championship. Then Some other Team out Of Providence R.I. that won it too. Both then disappeared after a couple of years of winning the Big trophy.

Yeah the good ole days where football required you to be a man. Man up. i miss all those trick plays. Just think if they did some of that today. Add a little more excitement to the game.

GOOD MORNIN SIRS!

I am still slowly waking up here, gotta get a move on but I am sloooooow.

Would be great to see more trick plays yeah...cool to see the Fridge blastin in 1 yard TDs too ;D