PDA

View Full Version : Boobie Streamer Quits, Explains Why

IMPress Polly
03-20-2016, 01:04 PM
Anyone who hangs around online gaming spaces for long knows that "boobie streaming" and other "professions" of that sort are fairly common among the more prominent female players because that's what the prevailing culture of gaming is like, especially in the field of competitive gaming. And like in other occupations that revolve around selling your body in one sense or another, boobie streamers tend to eventually reach a breaking point where they just get too sick of humiliating themselves and of being abused in form or another to continue. (Believe me, I know.) Rarely, however, do they make a public announcement explaining why they quit. That takes guts. That's why I wanted to draw people's attention to this brave young woman's recent public statement announcing her retirement from this type of stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkgNZ9CTPBc

I want to highlight this as an example for others who quit working in these types of fields to follow because explaining your reasons publicly will help many others in comparable life positions see themselves therein. While this young woman shies away from blaming the job itself for her unhappiness and instead internalizes the blame (which is something I don't think one should do), what I want to highlight above all is the core reason why she says she's quitting: She wants to play League of Legends professionally rather than continue to serve as a set piece of the community's background decoration. Think about that for a minute. Let that sink in. There's a crucial truth about these types of sexist occupations very broadly and the limits they impose on you concentrated therein.

The Xl
03-20-2016, 01:49 PM
She shouldn't have done something she was uncomfortable with in the first place. But good on her for finally making the right decision for her.

IMPress Polly
03-20-2016, 02:18 PM
We all make mistakes. I think the most important thing is that we learn from them.

The Xl
03-20-2016, 02:27 PM
We all make mistakes. I think the most important thing is that we learn from them.

Absolutely. She didn't carry on doing something she didn't enjoy anymore, that's good.