PDA

View Full Version : Bullhead dinner

donttread
05-01-2016, 04:36 PM
I haven't been to this particular forum in awhile, which I feel bad about because I was the one who suggested it.
But I have been doing some fishing with limited results , but the other night my son came home with bullhead he had caught. The next day we cleaned the fish and they were in the frying pan minutes after taking their last breath. Cold water, fresh, unfrozen bullhead. It doesn't get a lot better than that.

Captain Obvious
05-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Never had bullhead. They always seem kind of, tadpole-ish, top heavy.

Never caught a really big one though.

AZ Jim
05-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Nothing beats cold water bullheads. In warm water they get wormy but pull a few of those little babies out of a nice cool body of water, behead 'em, gut 'em, batter them with flour and cracker crumbs, deep fry and Mmmmmmm good....

Peter1469
05-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Catfish pretty much is better fired.

With whitefish of all sorts, I do not fry them.

Dr. Who
05-01-2016, 05:17 PM
Catfish pretty much is better fired.

With whitefish of all sorts, I do not fry them.
That's why they need breading to fry, otherwise they stick to the pan - badly. I have to admit that I prefer the flavor of whitefish when they are pan fried.

AZ Jim
05-01-2016, 05:20 PM
That's why they need breading to fry, otherwise they stick to the pan - badly. I have to admit that I prefer the flavor of whitefish when they are pan fried.I misspoke when I said deep fried. I pan fry too but in a quarter inch or so of oil. Damn, now I am hungry for a "mess of bullheads" and hush puppies.

Peter1469
05-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Sounds good.

Dr. Who
05-01-2016, 05:30 PM
I misspoke when I said deep fried. I pan fry too but in a quarter inch or so of oil. Damn, now I am hungry for a "mess of bullheads" and hush puppies.
I don't use that much oil - I try to use a non-stick pan, but that means lower heat, so you don't want a lot of oil absorption. You must be southern given the hush puppies.

Peter1469
05-01-2016, 05:33 PM
I use heavy stainless steel and for fish- butter to grease the pan.