PDA

View Full Version : tPF My hard drive is constantly working...

OGIS
05-10-2016, 02:20 PM
The main process that shows activity seems to be Firefox. I uninstalled Adobe Flash some time ago; is this continued attempts of Firefox to reinstall? Anyone got any ideas on this?

Private Pickle
05-10-2016, 03:11 PM
You running Wifi?

OGIS
05-11-2016, 12:21 AM
You running Wifi?

Yes. The dead computer is hardwired up directly to the modem. The live computer has an SMC netword thumb drive hooked up to the modem. The modem is covered by a router; all Time Warner equipment. Been that way for months, but this damned HD constant activity just started.

Private Pickle
05-11-2016, 08:15 AM
Yes. The dead computer is hardwired up directly to the modem. The live computer has an SMC netword thumb drive hooked up to the modem. The modem is covered by a router; all Time Warner equipment. Been that way for months, but this damned HD constant activity just started.

Interesting. Did you switch up your service with your provider?

OGIS
05-11-2016, 09:07 AM
Interesting. Did you switch up your service with your provider?

Switch up? You mean get additional services? No.

What are you thinking?

Cigar
05-11-2016, 09:25 AM

What are you thinking?

If your performance is really slow, then your processor is is trying to shove more in memory; (Need more RAM). If that's not the case, then it's the System or an Application that is executing something (more likely the case, you have something running in the background).

Is there scheduled virus checking going on?
Windows or Mac? Because windows always has at least 8 system level processes going on all the time, and they eat up memory.
Firefox alone takes up 250MB of Men
Look at your Kernel in Task Manager, then sort by size, there should be nothing larger.

Private Pickle
05-11-2016, 09:26 AM

What are you thinking?

There are a lot of new applications on TVs these days that are active apps. Even when the TV is off the application is running and requires the internet. This activity could be running your CPU and HD however; this typically are services provided either by your TV or by a 3rd party appliance from Amazon or Google.

Common
05-26-2016, 05:46 PM
The main process that shows activity seems to be Firefox. I uninstalled Adobe Flash some time ago; is this continued attempts of Firefox to reinstall? Anyone got any ideas on this?

Im a little late I dont know if you still have the problem, but malware is the problem most of time.

We tell everyone at the shop to DL SuperAntiSpyware free you can get it at majorgeeks.com and CCleaner again at major geeks. Also dl Adwcleaner latest free version.

Run SuperAntiSpyware first, then Adwcleaner, the Ccleaner then run the built in registry cleaner in Ccleaner. that should clean you up, then do a disk defrag, You just got 65.00 worth of information free

Refugee
05-28-2016, 07:13 AM
SuperAntiSpyware (the freebie version) – I’ll recommend that. It really does find stuff. I use a stick on old XPs and get viruses every single day, the usual XP fraud stuff. I have USB Disk Security as an initial prevention from it getting on my own computer. Then follow that up with SuperAntiSpyware, followed by CCleaner. Twice a week it gets a scan of Malwarebytes. Never a problem.

exotix
06-01-2016, 03:03 PM
MS Explorer, Firefox/Mozilla and Google Chrome are all now incompatible with each other ... with Adobe Flash as the main culprit.

Captain Obvious
06-05-2016, 09:00 PM
At your age you should be happy your hard drive is working

spunkloaf
06-07-2016, 01:38 PM
Okay. If your hard drive is constantly running, it could be a few things.

1. Not enough ram/oversized programs for your computer to run effectively
2. Virus/malware/bloatware
3. Hard drive fragmentation issues (needs defragmenting)
4. Hard drive is damaged or wearing out

I do a few routine things to keep my computer running smooth, and at the top notch performance that it was advertised for.

-Clean the registry
-Defrag the registry
-Clean junk files
-Defrag hard drive
-Scan for and resolve any viruses or malware
-Do hardware tests to make sure hardware is functioning properly
-Get OS updates, driver updates, manufacturer updates, software updates, firmware updates, and security updates

1. Start with the updates. Make sure everything is up to par. Use Windows update, and also go to your manufacturer's website and find your computer model and/or hardware model for firmware and software updates.
2. Scan your computer for nasties. I like to use Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free for home use:https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/thankyou/ ). I also use Microsoft Security Essentials ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-all-versions ) for real-time protection, but there are plenty of alternatives.
3. Clean and optimize your computer. There are all-in-one programs which can streamline this process for you. I like to use Glary Utilities ( http://download.glarysoft.com/gu5setup.exe ). This program has a one-click option which performs a series of checks on your computer's performance issues and a one-click repair option to fix them all.

It would also help if you tell me what kind of computer you have (model #, or if you built it yourself, hardware it has, amount of RAM, etc.) and your operating system. I would be able to know better if you simply need to upgrade to different hardware or get another computer.